South emergency may be lifted sooner
- Published: 15 Jul 2013 at 14.48
- Online news:
The National Security Council will hold a meeting after Aug 18 to assess the situation in the South and may propose the lifting of the emegency decree imposed in the three southernmost border provinces, NSC secretary-general Paradorn Pattanatabut said on Monday.
The NSC chief said that since the announcement by the Malaysian facilitator that Thailand and the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) had agreed to reduce the violence during Ramadan and until Aug 18, nobody had been killed in an insurgency related attack.
During the same period last year, the average number of deaths from the violence was two per day.
This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.