UPDATE: China quake toll 47, rising
- Published: 22 Jul 2013 at 12.59
- Online news:
BEIJING — At least 47 people were killed and almost 300 injured when two shallow earthquakes struck northwest China early Monday, an official told AFP, as rescuers battled to reach survivors in the remote, mountainous area.
"More than 21,000 buildings were severely damaged and more than 1,200 have collapsed," said the official at the earthquake bureau in Gansu province, where the 5.9 and 5.6 magnitude tremors struck.
The official said 296 people had been severely injured, adding that there have been 371 aftershocks.
This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.