Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Re: Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Postby europe on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:40 pm

@ voice

"...As far as I know Thai business people don’t care much about customer service. They only concern that you pay them whatever it worth No refund, No replacement, No sorry for their mistake. ..."

Okay, thank you ! Now I understand what "Thai-ness" is ! :lol: - your experience is a good example of "Kreng Jai" - right ? :mrgreen:

Well, anyhow I'm glad to understand that I'm not the only one with such experiences. Until now I only know such (and much worse) from China.
europe

Postby duckie on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:18 am

In bed, were all the same :lol:
duckie

Postby swissfritz on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:02 am

How well I know that!
In my former country it was "We have to preserve Swissness". And like the xenophobic "Thai rak Thai" party in Thailand, a similar extreme right wing party, the "Swiss People's Party", is getting more and more votes every year. From poor souls who seek nothing more than somebody who fixes everything for them. And takes all the responsibility. And all the power, of course. One of the world's oldest democracies is getting tired of democracy. I know, the PAD is not with Thaksin, it's against him. But it wants exactly the same: Power, power, power.
swissfritz

Postby markorat on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:06 pm

thaitiger wrote:i am a farang and I know Thai-ness! I would suggest that whoever wrote the original post is the person who is naive,
and that they are so naive they risk inciting hatred unless moderated...

Oh, sure you do, they will make sure to explain if, after the nice evening out at the restaurant where the "brother" pours your glass, wife brings you napkins, mom in law smiles, that thai culture is that the oldest pays, or the richest, if neither of them you are, then it is the guest that pays.

Please explain me the thai-ness when you get on the left-row when you visit Wat Po ? Or when you want to watch Muay Thai at Lumphini ?

You also said :
never have i had anybody claim i can never engage full with or undestand fully Thai culture?

If you even barely knew thai culture, you ought to know by now that this question will never arise, it is considered provocation, don't you know already ? :-)

You said :
i go to the temple a lot, people are pleased when u tell them things like Buddha was not a Thai, people I know are really happy that their belief systems are univeral and not exclusively Thai,

It is thai culture's politeness to be interested in what the other person has to say, you can talk about your left ball for all they care, they will listen with huge attention

All my thai friends call me Pi-chai or Pi and I've got many many many friends, and i go to the temple in isan where i am the only farang in a wat of 300 people, none of them ever once said i was incapable of learning their culture,

Thai friends that will come pick you up if you are lost nowhere in the rain or thai friends that half of their family is in the hospital with bills (read: borrowing) ? And refer to comment above a to why they would never say that you are incapable, you really think a Thai would say such thing ? You seem also to be computer illiterate to confuse the first poster who was linking to the Opinion webpage... You are now shunned for your contribution of this forum :cheers:
markorat

Postby thaitiger on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:39 pm

"All your ranting and raving about racism just proves you know nothing of thainess"

Firstly I am not your mate, and i don't drink, please write in a more formal less,

Your personal insults defending inherent racism in thai cutlure are foolish and expose you as a bigot.
don't waste your time flaming me, I am a troll crushing anti-nazi and you'll lose.

Now find something better to do like, learn to read and write

Song Nam Naaa
thaitiger

Postby noi on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:53 pm

[quote]Too bad this is the English forum, 98% of all Thais that come to the Bangkok Post will never read this, the other 2% will shrug their shoulders and quietly say "see farrang no understand"

I've seen grown women refuse to stay in a house alone for fear of Ghosts(???)
I've seen grown men refuse helpful advice because they might "lose face" so they continue on their own path, resulting in serious injury
I've seen young men not even hold the door open for their own girlfriends (because men are superior in Thailand) and then look at me with disgust when I do because now I've made them look bad. (WTF?)
I've seen some of the most ridiculous and selfish driving skills (or lack there of) in my entire life.

Yep that's THAI-NESS for you.
1. Superstitious Nonsense
2. The Silly, immature notion of "Face"
3. False superiority complex (more like inferiority complex)
4. Absolute selfishness and ZERO common sense.

How wonderful it must be, like an ostrich in the sand, head first./quote]

Firstly, I wanted to say that this guy is very ignorant. My English is not the best as I have never been studying abroad but I do read Bangkok post. Sure that some of us scare of the ghost but I think every culture have funny believing too, not just Thailand.

Many people who were posted on here have commented on the racist ways. Based on their hatred minds or bad/selfish people that they have met.. Or even think that they're better than others that do not use English. I never judge any nationality as some of you do on here. Nor I based my understanding about one country on 100-200 people that I have met in that country or how their government behave. I believe this kind of thing is individual. You get good people in the worst area or you get absolute idiots in the high society bunch of people.

Losing face is not the things that anyone likes anyhow even in the west. But the way of dealing with the situation might be difference as Asian people do not tend to hide feelings well lol. Funny how many people think that other people are evil/stupid/selfish but forget to look at themselves to start with.

I have met some Farang that I thought they understand Thai ness very well even though they have only been to Thailand a few times and I have met people that have been here for years and still being minded , treating Thai national badly and looking down on every single opinion we give. Is this mean anything? To me, it means that I can only judge who understand Thai ness based on my understanding about Thai ness myself :D

Anyway, interesting posts. Thank you for sharing your views about how you think about Thailand. Altho i believe that it doesn't mean that Thai people can only be bad and stupid as a whole. There are people like me that want to learn the good things from the west and ignore the bad influence too. Altho it took me almost a year to find this topic but there is so much to read on the internet nowadays. Cheers.
noi

Postby ATM on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:58 am

thaitiger wrote:"All your ranting and raving about racism just proves you know nothing of thainess"

Firstly I am not your mate, and i don't drink, please write in a more formal less,

Your personal insults defending inherent racism in thai cutlure are foolish and expose you as a bigot.
don't waste your time flaming me, I am a troll crushing anti-nazi and you'll lose.

Now find something better to do like, learn to read and write

Song Nam Naaa

Your really not making any sense whatsoever thaikitty may I suggest before you respond to a post you read it first, please point out to me where i defended thai racism and considering the fact that I am a white man married to an Asian sort of blows the idea that I am a bigot out of the water and with that completley irrational outburst I'm sorry but your the one that lost all face. Maybe should study up on Thainess a bit more MATE. :lol:
ATM

Postby Aussie John on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:16 am

Thainess=Irresponsibility
Aussie John

Postby markorat on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Well, since whatever I post about a particuliar siam-descent feline-based named user is more watched than Russia, China and Vietnam altogether, I will post the remains of what I could post

Here it is :

Now , the new post I made, with an illusion of freedom of speech, is the following,

What I want to add is that maybe, just maybe, thai don't want us to understand thainess ? So that they can remain so unique, as unique as the only "never-got-colonized" country around. Everyone wants to be unique or special in some way, and this could very well be their way to see them being special, by not being understandable. Every society wants to have particular culture, even if they have to slightly change what appears in history books.
markorat

Postby surinfarm on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:57 am

What could easily be considered more dangerous {and unhealthy} is to use this cultural character of Thainess with comparative examples.
surinfarm

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in