Red Alert in the Deep South

Red Alert in the Deep South

Postby DSuthikant on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:31 am

BKP reported that
Security surveillance operations have been stepped up in Pattani since Friday night in anticipation of a possible strike by insurgents to mark the anniversary of the Krue Se massacre.

There were also concerns of revenge attacks after three suspected insurgents were killed in a raid on their forest hideout in Yala's Bannang Sata district on Friday.

The men had been implicated in the roadside bomb attack that killed Yala deputy governor Issara Thongthawat and assistant governor Chaovalit Chairuek on April 5.

However, DNA tests on the suspects' bodies showed they had not been involved in that attack.

Former Internal Security Operations Command chief Panlop Pinmanee, said instigating large-scale attacks during important events was highly symbolic for the insurgents and an act of self-aggrandisement.

He said the insurgents were mostly young people who received militant training abroad.

Gen Panlop is held responsible by many for the Krue Se massacre, as he ordered the armed raid on the mosque to flush out suspected militants on April 28, 2004.

All 32 suspects inside the mosque were killed in the attack.

My comment:
The words suspects in this article probably would arouse the anger in Pattani Muslims.
When I was in Pattani last July, several local people told me a different version of Krue Se Massacre. They said instigators told demonstrators at Kru Se to bring more demonstrators out to pray for peace and justice but not to bring any weapons with them, and Muslims came out with a large number without any weapons. While they were praying , soldiers surrounded the mosque and shot at them without any warning and as we now know 32 people dead and more wounded and some other Muslims killed in the other areas on the same day. If the allegations of the Muslims were proved to be true; those killings were definitely war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The peace talk will go nowhere if the government does not go half way to meet the local Muslims. There is such a long gap between the perceptions of the local Muslims and the government regarding the unrest. So far, none of the government’s officers have talked to the local Muslims directly. Why is it so hard for them, I don’t know? I am an old man of 71 years of age with broken back from the North went to the three provinces with 3 staffs and hundreds of local people talked to me straightforwardly and amicably. Why the government officers cannot do that, it is beyond me?

Wikipedia; The 2010 World Report from Human Rights Watch highlighted escalating human rights abuses throughout Thailand, with the South reflecting overall policies against individual human rights. Sharply increased powers for police and the military were accompanied by a perceived lack of accountability.
DSuthikant

Return to Thai news stories