Solar Power

RE: RE: Scalable Solar Power

Postby David on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Tom
I'm not a scientist but I can tell you certainty that the technology we have today will enable each house here to have solar hot water. My first apartment in BKK didn't have hot water either but I'll guarantee you that in winter here (Sydney) only the very hardiest individual would take a cold shower!

Tom, I have no axe to grind here and I'm certainly not trying to champion one technology over another. However, what's clear to me is that we need to get real about both global warming and the fact that oil supply is only ever going to diminish in future. To me, these are the biggest problems we face and should be accorded governmental priority accordingly. For a variety of reasons I don't see that happening. Maybe we need to wait until our reefs are bleached, Cane Toads hop around Martin Place like they do already in Brisbane, and fuel has reached $200/barrel for the penny to drop! What a shame.

Kind regards
David
David

RE: Solar Power

Postby grasshopperD on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbV7ad2xgY&eurl

enjoy lol you all need a break from such serious topics
grasshopperD

what about another idea...insulation?

Postby Janet on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:42 am

In California they grow a lot of rice. Rather than burn the rice husks, they bale them like hay bales, then use them in home construction at a pittance of cost. They are essentially rated at R56! Which means they insulate bigtime, as the walls of the homes are literally as thick as a bale, additionally they can be put up with a few friends in a weekend! Simple. Look up "hay bale houses". on Google. Also there is no waste and pollution by the burning.
Janet
Janet

RE: what about another idea...insulation?

Postby ed browning on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Dear Janet, Insulation is a great idea. I know that rice hull insulated houses have been built in Louisiana with great success and that rice hulls are claimed to be the cheapest insulation you can buy in US if you live within 600 miles of a rice mill. I did not know they baled rice hulls. I think you may mean rice straw. In any case rice hulls are an excellent insulator and would be very appropriate for use in the right circumstances. Did you know that the use of ceiling insulation has been shown to increase air conditioning energy use in Bangkok because after the home heats up during the day, the radiant loss of heat to the night sky is impeded by the insulation. However insulation has its place and if used wisely can be a big asset.. But it takes intelligent planning. I see no reasons why it cannot be used in walls of homes and in ceilings of buildings which are air conditioned during the day. Ventilation thru good design appears to be the best first approach tried and after that then after that heat reflective coatings on walls and roofs , followed by geoexchange air conditioni8ng. INSULATION PROBABLY WILL WORK BEST IF MOVABLE , ALLOWING BREEZES TO REMOVE HEAT WHEN NECESSARY AND PROVIDING A CLOSED IN AIR CONDITIONED SPACE AS DESIRED. My ideas what do you think ? Randy
ed browning

RE: what about another idea...insulation?

Postby Rooster on Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:45 am

Janet. It is not a wise idea to use rice straw as insulation material for many reasons including durability and safety. Rice straw is good to make mud-straw bricks for adobe structures, fuse, fertilizer, animal bedding or nests, or etc..
Rooster

RE: RE: what about another idea...insulation?

Postby ed browning on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:59 pm

Dear Rooster, the Thai government is presently advocating the use of rice straw in concrete in energy efficient building for homes. YOU WILL HAVE TO ASK THE THAI EPO (ENERGY POLICY OFFICE). I suspect they may disagree with you. In any case rice hulls make a good insulation according to studies in US. Because they are basically silicon insects and other animals will not eat them. Because of their unique barbed shape they wil not compress and air spaces are maintained which maintains their insulation value. I suspect that cavity insulation using techniques similar to those used in US would work in Thailand. But like I said in my other message insulation has to be applied appropriate to the surrounding. Best to you, Randy
ed browning

RE: RE: what about another idea...insulation?

Postby Rooster on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Ed. No, I am not disagree with the use of rice straws in brick making processes as I mentioned adobe mud-bricks. Rice straw bales are not suitable for long term insulation and could be hazardous in fire...beside biodegradable and other problems with insects and rodents. I have heard of people mixing rice straws with layers of concretes and cements in wall construction. I would recomment using rice straws in the constructions of traditional Thai structures and roofing ...and not permanent structures like houses. Rice straws do make excellent semi-permanent structures like gazebos, patio covers, sala covers, playhouses, field and ranch houses, etc..
Rooster

RE: what about another idea...compost

Postby sam on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:47 am

burning it should be forbiden
sam

RE: RE: Solar Power

Postby sam on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:55 am

thanks to you I got their e mail...I was looking for Solaztron's e-mail for half an hour on google
do you know anything about if Thai electricity company buy your surpus (what you don't use) ?
sam

RE: Scalable Solar Power

Postby sam on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:08 am

have you all heard about Bussing or Gussing the green capital of europe a little town in Austria,They turn branches into gaz make electricity with the gaz and heat the town in the process...80% efficient
sam

PreviousNext

Return to Thai environment, energy, safety issues