The beaches of Thailand

The beaches of Thailand

Postby jonotes on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:32 pm

We have a home on the water in Ban Chang and recently have been unable to use it due to the deplorable condition of the beach and water. A five minute walk on the beach left our feet covered in a brown sticky goo. That was after trying to walk through the accumulation of garbage and waste on the beach. Namrin, Pala, Payun..... all the same story; covered in garbage with floating off shore. For the first time, I saw a sea turtle, unfortunately it was dying. Thailand is one of the most beautiful places in the world but unless its officials start caring about the country and less about their new Mercedes and status homes it will become a place no one wants to visit. The Rayong coast has already gone that way. It is up to the Thai people to speak out and start to fix the problem. It can be fixed. We did it in New York City. It took 20 years but you have to start.
jonotes

Re: The beaches of Thailand

Postby Silaworld on Mon May 05, 2014 9:01 am

I am afraid there is nothing much westerners can do about it.
It is like preaching in an empty church...
I am living here for over ten years now and it's becoming worse year after year! What a pity.
Quick money rules everywhere in Thailand, Poor people do not care and actually they cause a lot of environmental problems. Middle class people are just occupied with complaining about every government, filling the streets with senseless protests. Rich people couldn't care less because they can go somewhere else.
My Thai wife stops working this year and after that we will let Thailand for the Thai.

Anyway, didn't you notice that the weather is getting hotter and hotter, year after year. Even in wintertime I can hardly stand the heat.
This country is ruined by its people and by the climate.
High time to move back to my beautiful European country. Even my wife longs to escape from this misery.
Last edited by Silaworld on Tue May 20, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silaworld

Postby daiwill60 on Wed May 14, 2014 2:54 am

jonotes wrote:We have a home on the water in Ban Chang and recently have been unable to use it due to the deplorable condition of the beach and water. A five minute walk on the beach left our feet covered in a brown sticky goo. That was after trying to walk through the accumulation of garbage and waste on the beach. Namrin, Pala, Payun..... all the same story; covered in garbage with floating off shore. For the first time, I saw a sea turtle, unfortunately it was dying. Thailand is one of the most beautiful places in the world but unless its officials start caring about the country and less about their new Mercedes and status homes it will become a place no one wants to visit. The Rayong coast has already gone that way. It is up to the Thai people to speak out and start to fix the problem. It can be fixed. We did it in New York City. It took 20 years but you have to start.

Could not agree more. all the way from BanChang to Laem Mae Phim just about, to be honest, and yet if you go a few kms in the opposite direction and through the Naval bases to the beaches along that line of coastland near Sattahip , the beaches seem so much cleaner, is that a coincidence I wonder?
daiwill60

Postby Rocks on Thu May 15, 2014 7:15 am

Agreeing with everything previous posters have said, the problem can be fixed in three words.... EDUCATION, EDUCATION and EDUCATION. In a country that seems to have more holidays than working days it will be difficult to achieve but it all starts with the children and what is taught in both the home and school. I used to regularly chastise my children for dropping food wrappers in the street, now they know to place them in the first available trash can.

May I also say it takes government officials to do their job and to ENFORCE the law.
Rocks

Postby isurrender on Thu May 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Yesterday i watched a group of 8 young school boys on the beach at Koh Samui, buy food from a vendor. After they finished, they just left the plastic bowls on the sand and walked away !
The vendor also left them there, he should have had a rubbish bin nearby, but he could'nt care less.
These people badly need to be educated.
isurrender

Postby tcr on Sat May 17, 2014 3:23 pm

The beaches on the navy base in Sattahip are a bit cleaner because they are out on a point, and not as much discharge near there. Go to Bang Saray and it's a horrible mess again. I've seen the Sattahip beaches covered with trash many times. People just throw their garbage into the streets and it all gets washed down into the ocean during the rains.

Education is not the only key, enforcement of the laws is a also a critical part. When you can dump whatever you want by only paying a small bribe to a government official, this is what you get. Corruption is slowly killing Thailand.
tcr

Postby Riceater on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:44 am

I live on Phuket and have resided in Samui and other SE Asian countries for the last five years. What I have noticed is that there is no concern or awareness of the consequences to the environment form littering. As Rock said in his post- there needs to be education of this issue and campaigns to bring it to the attention of the young.
I am a supporter of Surfrider Foundation, and we hold bi-monthly clean-up on Surin Beach. Although we are not an official chapter in Thailand, there is some interest from a few locals (mostly farangs), but we noticed that some Thais are participating now after several months of continuous events.
I personally believe that there should be a ban on plastic straws and plastic bags, but this is hard to do if the government does not support it.
I often have thought about developing a non-profit environmental foundation for Phuket and would like to enlist anyone that is willing to help. I call this idea, PhuketPure and have begun to discuss it among like-minded locals. I'd start by purchasing a few trash bins with lids, bags and a supporting frame that keeps the bins in place and safe from pilferage. I would then solicit local businesses for monthly donations of 500 - 1,000 Baht to maintain the costs for bags and trash removal to an official landfill dumping area. We would create an inexpensive sticker for those that donated, and place them on the bins with the business' logo and include their logo in all media. It would be best to have the local government include the beach areas on their trash collection route, but this has proven difficult.
PhuketPure would buy bio-degradable paper straws, and our volunteers would exchange them for the plastic ones dispensed at all street vendors for free.
We would have a website and Facebook page created to educate and share photos of our work. Perhaps hold monthly events to bring awareness to this subject and provide t-shirts and various environmentally-friendly items.
If anyone is interested, please contact me at: cupofthai@gmail.com
Riceater

Return to Thai environment, energy, safety issues