Thai Divorce law

RE: RE: Self-defeating Laws

Postby Adam on Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:11 am

My wife and daughter are both US citizens. My wife owns half of every thing I own. Even property before our marriage and also property I inherited.
Adam

Postby Ian Beale on Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:54 pm

OK - Rooster, since you are pushing this scam line which fleeces so many farang, just answer me this :
Do you agree that farang countries should have laws stopping Thais from owning what farang can not own in Thailand ?
Ian Beale

Postby Rooster on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:29 am

Adam, she is still able to reclaim her Thai citizenship if she still maintaining her Thai ID and house registry. She can also can claim Thai citizenship for your daughter. I understand that her family still own a house in her hometown. If the house registry still has her name on it, it is not hard to trace the record and make new claim.
Rooster

Postby Rooster on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:58 am

Ian, you sounded more and more pathetic to get your own way. Western countries like Europe, North America, and Australia do not need property laws. They already have immigration laws to keep out foreigners, especially, those from none European descendants. Most Asian immigrants are mostly women and rich Asians, or refugees recently. Hey, it is easier to keep them out before they get to the front doors. Anyway, the European descendants in the new countries already established themselves. So those properties are already owned by these original settlers and colonists. If you very want equality, every countries need to remove all immigration laws and adopt single universal monetary standard, no passport and no immigration police.
Rooster

Postby Adam on Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:43 am

Sadly the old homestead was sold right after I married my wife. Her mother sold it to bail the eldest son out of financial problems. This is one problem I have with Thai customs. There were 8 children, but the only one that realy counts is the oldest son. Now the house (on the river) is gone and now I have to send people money. Even him, he wasted it all away again.
My wife still has her old passport, but it expired in 1974.
Adam

More and More Pathetic

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:11 pm

To get your own way is what YOU sound, you appropriately named Rooster. One reason why those countries you mention have ever-tougher immigration laws, is because when immigrants finally get in - they can own whatever they have the money to buy.
Whereas in Thailand, your government still stops this. Eg. Mr. Thaksin, your billionaire PM, can buy anything in Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand. But we can not even co-buy a small amount of land in Thailand - even if married to a Thai, with half Thai children.
And you're wrong about immigration - there's far higher immigration of Asians into these Western countries than vice versa.
Ian

Postby Rooster on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:00 am

OK, it will be harder to reclaim her rights. She will have to start from scratch by going to the district office of her birth place to get the copy of her birth certificate. Next step is to refile them at the new district where her intended new family house registry is going to be. Once her house registry is in order, she can register for the Thai national ID card. With the house registry, Thai ID, and old passport on hand, she can go to make her new Thai passport. With all documents in procession, she can petition Thai Embassy in Washington D.C.. to issue your daughter a Thai birth certificate with a long process of 6 months to a year. When you build a house in Thailand, the district office will open a new house registry for your wife as head of the household by moving her name from her sister's house to the new house. Your daughter name can be file at this house and your name too as legal resident.
Rooster

RE: More and More Pathetic

Postby Zemran on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:13 pm

Although I agree that it is wrong that I cannot buy land in Thailand yet a Thai can buy land in my country there are many ways of owning a house here. If you really distrust your partner (you should leave but) you can buy the house in her name with your name on the deed as the mortager. That way you retain control. You can lease the house that is on the land that is in someone else's name. There are more ways but these are just a couple of examples.

I just put our land in my wife's name and accept that if the worst happens I walk away from that. My business is mine and the property is hers. I do not plan on divorce but I always consider the worst possible scenario. My wife has done a lot for me and she is entitled to here share. I do not want to shaft her any more than I want to get shafted.
Zemran

RE: More and More Pathetic

Postby Rooster on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:47 am

Are you talking about Thais in those countries or other Asians like Chineses and South Asians? There are ways according to Thai law for you to co-own things in Thailand, and the children of Thai women have right of citizens. It is illegals and their children who do not have certain rights. Thais do not care about Thaksin owning things in foreign countries. In fact, he should invest in Thailand and not in foreign countries. Yes, you can not even willing to eliminate immigration laws and borderless countries. Are you trying to protect somethings of your owns?
Rooster

Postby Adam on Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:58 am

We will look into it, thanks. Of course my wife is fearfull of any thing that could in any way affect her US citizenship.
Adam

PreviousNext

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required