Marring a Thia Woman in America - What's needed

Marring a Thia Woman in America - What's needed

Postby Kelvin on Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:14 am

Hi, I want to marry a Thia woman and am looking for some insite to what is needed and what to expect from Thia women and to learn about Thia culture. Also, please express your expriences with Thia culture and women, marring in Thialand or the US and living in Thialand or the US.

Thanks
Kelvin

RE: Marring a Thia Woman in America - What's needed

Postby Brian on Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:50 am

I'm seeing a Thai girl who is in America on a J1 visa, and working as an au pair. She will have to leave in about a year, unless she gets married to an American (me). I've been informed that marrying a Thai girl includes paying a dowery to the family. Her girlfriend is marrying a guy in the USA, and he will have to pay her family $15,000.00! What if the marriage doesn't work out after a year or two or more? Is all that money l;ost? "Yes", they say.
I love my Thai girl, but I don't agree with paying this money when it would be better spent on getting us started on our new life.

Input?

Brian
Brian

RE: RE: Marring a Thia Woman in America - What's needed

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:16 pm

You have to be very careful marrying a Thai. That expensive "dowery" (really a bride-price) is just the beginning !!
But $US 150,000 is way over the price - unless she's from an extremely high class family. I gave my wife's family
150, 000 baht when we got married.
Many farang since told that was over the usual.
Be very aware : 1) few marriages between
Thais and farang last. In Germany the divorce rate is something like 90%.
2) a major reason for this is that the Thai family tries to screw the farang husband for as much as they can get out of him (including with threats of murder, which is very cheap in Thailand) - aided by Thailand's laws banning foreigners owning almost anything in Thailand.
Ian

Postby Aussie Dave on Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:23 pm

Brian ,
Dont be a mug ......mate .
If she tells you that her family wants that kind of money, forget her , she's 'having a lend of you'
If she really loves you , she won't ask for a dowery ........mine did'nt
Aussie Dave

Postby Rooster on Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:06 am

If she is not a virgin, than the dowery is easily open to negotiation. You should know her family economic and social status if she has college education also. A poor rural girl without education and a virgin would range average 100,000 bahts or $2,500 and up. It also depending on her age and beauty, and this girl could run up to 1,000,000 or $25,000 for less than 25 y/o, virgin, average beauty, middle class, rural girl with college education.
Rooster

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:27 am

Apologies for my typing error - which should have said $US 15,000.00.
That's still an awfully high bride-price.
Ian

Postby Sucha on Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:48 am

"If she is not a virgin, then the dowery is easily open to negotiation."

C'mon. How many parents would want to discuss if their daughter is a "virgin" or not.

Doesn't make any sense.

You listed the prices of girls like you are in the bride market.

"And this girl could run up to 1,000,000 or $25,000 for less than 25 y/o, virgin, average beauty, middle class, rural girl with college education," all these don't matter. It is up to whatever their parents' request. Where did you get all those crap? Don't try to show off that you know everything when you don't really know, Rooster.
Sucha

Postby Zemran on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:40 pm

The question of virginity is often obvious if there is a child. I know of a situation where a high dowry was demanded even though the girl had a child. No Thai man would pay that so it was just a case of another farang becoming a cash cow. The farang can end up looking like a soft touch and wondering why half the village asks him for money over the next 6 months.
Zemran

Postby Ian on Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:16 pm

Dave - if she did n't ask for one :
you've got a really good love.
No doubt you will feel very comfortable with her - and her family - over time. They'll deserve whatever you give.
In those circumstances, I'd be very generous.
You're luckier than most of us, mate.
Ian

Postby Ian on Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:21 pm

Pity Mr. Thaksin - and his family - as they ask him for ever more, over years ahead !!
Ian

Next

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required