Do You Support Your Thai In-Laws?

Do You Support Your Thai In-Laws?

Postby MCM on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:11 pm

In Thailand, children take care of their parents.
They kind of pay back the debt that they contracted just by being born and educated by their parents.
And contrary to "popular" belief, it is valid whether you are rich or poor (but of course far more meaningful if the parents are poor...).

I know one Thai guy who was paying a certain amount of money to his parents every month even if they did not need it at all. Just to "pay back" the investment they made.

Of course, if you marry a girl or a boy from a poor family, part of the burden will fall on you or at least on the couple.

Very different than what we do in "the west" but the way it is done in Thailand.

Does it bother you (if you have a Thai partner) or you just go with the flow?

Expat Info Articles www.thaiexpat.org
MCM

RE: Do You Support Your Thai In-Laws?

Postby CHS on Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:59 pm

I think the Thai parents usent their daughter to get money from you but not for their needs but for show off...
I got 5 examples to talk about with proofs I just think that it must be up to the farang if he want to support the family in his good will not to be imposed by the family...
By acting like that the fathers of Thai bride are just pimp selling their own kids...It will be better for the father of the bride to explain the needs of the family and let the husband to choose the priorities in helping the family and not be impose a stupid gold chain for thr father to wear as show of...
CHS

RE: Do You Support Your Thai In-Laws?

Postby Rooster on Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:26 pm

Yes. This is a beautiful and effective Thai family custom. It also helps keep family unity. The common working Thais do not have monthly pension from government, companies, or investment dividend. It is up to their children to provide whatever they could to help assist their parents. For the poor parents, it is much better if they are living with their children's families since these parents could help raising their grandchildren. My parents are retired and receiving monthly social security payment from US government. It is enough for them while they are retiring in Thailand. But it is still up to us to check on their wellbeings and finances. I have never asked my wives in regard to their money gifts to their parents. They even gave money to my parents when we visit them. Most western men will prohibit their Thai wives from giving money monthly to their parents in Thailand. Many of these women and their children barely ever visit their families in Thailand. There are few exceptional cases where their foreign husbands would allow their Thai wives to send money and make occasional visits back homes. In some cases, it is understandable since it is very expensive for all family members to visit Thailand for extend period of time. If foreigners want to marry Thai women, they will have to accept Thai customs and their wives' families too.
Rooster

RE: RE: Do You Support Your Thai In-Laws?

Postby Dararai - Florida on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:37 am

Dear Khun Rooster,
You mention that your parents retired to live in TL. Which prompts me to write you this letter. Could you tell me more in term of how to get a visa to retire in TL..
I'm a Thai who"s currently holding dual citizenships both US and Thai. Next year when I'm reaching the age of 60. I plan to retire and spend the rest of my life in the land of my birth. I plan to go back to State only once every other year to see my children.
Do I need a special visa ?
I'd like to know how your parents did it ?
Please share your knowlege and thought with us ?
Many thanks to you.
Dararai - Florida

Postby Rooster on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:06 pm

Are you going to receive full benefit at 60 y/o? It seems at 65 y/o would be a retirement age. Do you have sufficient saving? Yes, you will Thai ID and residence registry to buy a place for yourself if you have not own a place already. However, you still want to travel between Thailand and USA. Therefore, you will need to keep your passport and Florida ID. You need to use the address of one of your child for permanent resident and for banking and government mailing address. You need to transfer your money to well known international bank like Chase or some other US banks with branch in Thailand. You will need to ask for your social security check to be direct deposited to this US bank saving account. You will only need an ATM card to withdraw money from this account at any ATM machines in Thailand. You need another Thai Bank separate saving account and ATM card; this account should be as Thai citizen using your Thai ID card. You will need US passport for travel in and out of USA. It is a downside since it means that you have to get Thai residency visa that could be renew in Thailand or at Thai Consulate in USA. If you do not wish to return to USA at all, you can use Thai Passport to enter Thailand so you would not have to get Thai residency visa. US passport only allowed you to stay in Thailand for 30 days without visa. However, renewal is no problem thru travel agency or at immigration for small fee. I think you can get up to 2 years residency visa before renew again for Thai bornt. My parents are old and does not want to travel to USA again so they entered Thailand as Thai citizens. All of their financial matters are bring handled by my sisters in USA. They initially traveled every 2 to 3 years between Thailand and USA. After awhile, they settled down and stop travel. They knew more people now like old friends and families to do things together in Thailand.
Rooster

Postby Dararai - Florida on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:36 am

Dear Khun Rooster,
Thanks for enltghten me with this useful facts.
Yes, I intend to retire at the age of 60 and come to live in TL. Being retire early, I will be psysical strong enough to explore the country side of every part of The North, Isarn, The Central, and the South.
Fortunately, I have the financial mean to follow my dream. I intend to go for my social security benefits after I reach 65.
I already set my agenda according to what you said it requires.
I'll look more info: how to get Thai residency visa".
Hope you and your folks continue enjoy living a good life in TL.
Dararai - Florida

Postby Rooster on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:32 pm

Dararai. Unfortunately for me, I am still living year round both in Thailand and in the USA due to my business and family. I wish I do have the mean to have 100% of my business and career 100% in Thailand since there are so much business opportunities in this country. Capital seemed to be the main obstacle for me now beside backward Thai regulations since Thailand lacking steady and strong government and political parties to make necessary changes to keep up with international economy.
I hope that you will enjoy yourself. Thailand has so much to offer and so much history behind our culture and people. I have never enjoy history in schools until I left schools. Our people have been living in SEA since the end of the last ice age with many thousands of years of unrecorded history. Perhape, you can write a Thailand Travel Handbook from the eyes of an expat for Thais and foreigners after you done exploring Thailand if you are an excellent writter. I will buy a copy for myself. My personal library has collection of almost every Thai-English Thai food books and English version about Thailand.
Rooster

Postby Dararai, Florida on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:42 am

Dear Khun Rooster,
Good to know that you and your sisters still live in the U.S. & Thai year round. I wish we're neighbors, so we can exchange notes and thought about anything.
I have been reading a lot of postings on this forum. Always share the same thought with you. I feel that you're very knowlegible , fair and balance. You do it with the genuine love for our country and a sense of helping the community.
For that, I'd give credit to your folks for raising a fine man like you
I love reading, writing is not in my passion but thanks for your kind words anyway

Dararai, Florida

Postby Rooster on Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:02 am

Well, there are not enough Thai authors who write about Thailand in English or translated version. I do not think that foreigners who wrote books about Thailand would express the same feelings as those natives and or indigenous people. Well, you should keep notes and photos for your children/family and for future references for other people. Maybe and someday, I might public a book or books on some topic about SEA and other topics.
Rooster

Postby chris on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:19 am

thai people look at westerners as being walking banks.
if youre caucassion and a westerner youre looked at being in the money , young thai girls will do anything to get involved with western men , normally double and treble their ages, they will lie through their teeth , pretend to love you and when theyve got your hard earned cash , they will leave you .
never trust a thai woman
chris

Next

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required