Advise on how to marry my thai girlfriend?

RE: RE: Advise on how to marry my thai girlfriend?

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:41 pm

It's NOT only the farangs fault - scams are made dead easy by Thailand's anti-foreigner laws.
Ian

Postby Robert on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi Colin
Glad to see you are alive and well and dispensing good advice....

Ian
Reason I asked about how long you know her…there is a huge gap between meeting for a holiday in Pattaya and corresponding for 12 months vs living with her for 12 months….huge difference. You only know what she has chosen to tell you…and even that might be questionable.

So if I understand correctly, you are marrying a girl that you have only been with for a holiday....2-3 weeks or less??

In case you missed what Colin was saying, the girl spoke perfect English because she most likely learned it in the bar. If she can speak English but not read or write, ask yourself where she learned it.. And as for playing pool… if she is a good player, she didn’t learn it by staying home with sick momma. And the sick momma story is a sly way of asking for money.
And are you sending her money to “help her out”? Did you meet her in a bar? Did you have sex the first time you met? Did you check out any of her stories or have you just accepted them as fact?
Don’t answer these questions on this forum…answer them to yourself..
Try to take all of these comments in a positive light… The writers are only trying to protect you.. The long term posters here have seen a lot.. Read the postings …learn from others mistakes.. If you think “yeah but my girl is different than all those others” than you could be heading for disaster….
My short impression is that you are an idealistic young man who has good intentions and feel that you have found the woman of your dreams.. Most of us were like you at some time in our lives...I do not fault you one bit… The problem is that anywhere...and especially in Thailand, jumping into a marriage quickly can have disastrous results.
Just be careful....... and if Colin doesn’t mind if I use one of his phrases, remember that “you hold all the aces”. …and don’t give them up.
Good Luck to you.
Robert

Postby colin howard on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:40 am

hi bob , nice to see you are well and truly on the ball , as you are aware i,ve a good life here in thailand with yao and for sure life is what you make it , but i truly believe that the secret is mutual respect and i,ve tried to approach my life with yao EXACTLY the same as i did with my late dear wife cos you cannot argue with a winning formula can you , also in any partnership there has to be a large element of trust cos without that you have nothing , but to have these two vital things in life not just with a thai lady but any lady , you have to think with whats between your ears not your legs , regards , your friend , colin .
colin howard

Postby colin howard on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:52 pm

yeah ian , i understand and agree , but if you fork out 3 million baht for making a house in HER name when you hardly know her , this is sometimes a problem as no doubt you are aware , regards , colin .
colin howard

Postby AD on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:12 pm

Right on Ian, plus the 'attitude'
AD

Postby AD on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi Robert, i won't call you Bob like friend Colin alias Charlie Cheap ! as i think he has met up with you !. However i wish to say congratulations on your post to Ian, only wish i could be as diplomatic, but i guess he will get what i am saying, without malice. Although i do tend to get a bit feisty around perceived stupidity, it comes with old age i am afraid !
AD

RE: Advise on how to marry my thai girlfriend?

Postby AD on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:26 pm

Big question, do we have two Ian's here, i think that one of them is Ian from Sydney who has got plenty of Thai experience and the other Ian is a pom !
AD

Postby Robert on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi AD

Thanks for the note… I have seen a lot of your posts and, like Colin, you dispense good advice. It is hard not to get a bit feisty now and then when you see some of the stuff going on.. The same stories play themselves over and over again..
I had a great time with Colin and his lovely.. Would be nice to meet up with you and Colin for a few cold ones and tell tales (or is it tails?) of Thailand.
Oh… and you can call me Cheap Charlie 2 if you wish…. In Thailand I would consider it a compliment to be called Cheap Charlie. Perhaps being called Cheap Charlie means we have become wise..
Warmest Regards,
Robert
Robert

Postby Iannumber2=1 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:46 am

Yeah there are 2 Ian's!

Yes i have only been with her everyday for about 8 weeks but I am 24, she is 25...and I haven't got any money! So I can't see she is with me for the money cos I aint got any!...Yes In total i have probably given her about 28,000 THB but she has sent about the same money in text messages. So thanks for the advice guys but I think in life sometimes you just have to make your own decisions. If I was about 50 with lots of money...then yes I could see everybodys views as being correct, but as we are both the same age. I want to go for it!
Iannumber2=1

Postby colin howard on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 am

hi ian , the way i see it your partnership is on shaky ground , first of all you ain,t a hope of getting her back to england , second , if you want to stay in thailand legally you need money coming from abroad if you want to get a marriage visa , the way many people do it in your shoes is to go back, work your tail off for six months and save up then apply for a double entry tourist visa this with the 2 x30 day extensions will give you 6 month legally in thailand , maybe other people could give you advice too , but the way i see not much can be done unless you have heavy bread , good luck , colin .
colin howard

PreviousNext

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required