Thai tradition

RE: RE: Thai tradition

Postby Juan on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:23 am

Hi Collin,

I am most impressed about your words “It’s my way or the highway”. I will try that next time I have an argument with my girlfriend. See what happens. I will report back!!.

Best regards
Juan
Juan

Postby SARDINES on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:05 am

Juan,

... careful there, mate. What works for some may not work for others. It especially depends on how you began the relationship. Listening to Colin, it seems that he made his position very clear from the very beginning.

Once the clay has dried, you have to drop it back into water to soften again and then you can mold. If you try to re-shape after dried, your clay pot can crack.

Communication is the key. For me, I advised from the very beginning of where my stance on certain things are and where other things I am flexible as well ask my spouse the same. A mutual understanding is required for long term relationships to know where each draws the line.

good luck, folks
sardines
SARDINES

Postby colin howard on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:15 am

hi ian , i,ve always held the opinion that the big problem with many farangs is that they sell there selves short , a farang to a thai lady is like a lottery win, why the farang do,s not know this i find it difficult to comprehend , things like she worked for 4,400 a month before she met him , he,s now built a 3 million house, they have a new car, a new motor bike for her parents , putting her younger sister through a good education and of course buying her a PC , then he has to get down on his knee,s so he can go out for a drink with the "lads", then its only for 2 hours or so interrupted by phone calls every ten minutes to inquire when he,s coming home!!, is it any wonder why i call them "human doormats", for me if i,m picking up the tab for the whole show it has to be the "farang tradition" or non at all, colin .
colin howard

Postby colin howard on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:27 am

sound advice sardines , once the mold is set its not easy to change although not impossible , your words "mutual understanding" is spot on , i think the rule of thumb is you have to start off how you mean to continue , i also found out very early that most words are just bluff and when you call them out the reverse gear is rapidly engaged , colin .
colin howard

RE: Thai tradition

Postby Rooster on Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Juan. Do you very want the best advise, yet? It is very simple. As sex tourists, they come to fulfill their fantasy and spend little money that is usually much less than what they have to spend at home to get much less quality and quantity or anything closer to love. And from my experiences, sex tourists are cheap and usually came from low-end of their countries' socio-economic status. They should simply come get their socks wet with their raincoats on and simply go home and prepare for the next rounds if they are able to afford the next rounds. Otherwise, they will ending up as border visa runners and looking for Thai working girls to pay their bills. Sex tourists do follow or respect anythings and not even their own traditional cultures, since they are mostly low-end and low education. So why asking?
There are those who are genuinely looking for cross cultural marriage and go about doing the proper ways to achieve their goals. There are many of these people who have done it and very happily married with children. To those foreign men, Thailand has almost one million females who will not find their great expectations in Thailand due to birth rate ratio. This happened when Thai governments accepted foreign influences of in population control by UN and WHO, Thai women were coerced by physicians to sterilize themselves and with modern cultual fads these Thai women are voluntarily sterilized themselves. As results, non-indigenous population are dominating and populating urban areas. With certain oligarchy class controlling the economy and DP governments promoted tourism economy, Thai women have became on of the exporting commodity beside agricultural produces. With majority of eligible indigenous men with low education laboring in the fields or exported their skills to foreign countries to provide for their families.
As the results, foreign men from the low-end of their societies can easily fishing up high quality, high class, and non-indigenous urban Thai girls for very cheap and must more to select from in rolls. Look, lot of old foreign men could fish-up Thai girls who are 10, 20, or 30 years younger than they are.
One more advise, all of you can simply place ad in the Indian newspaper for Indian brides where the women's families could pay you the real dowery. Or convert to Islam, so you can marry muslim girls starting at 13 y/o and up for up to 4 wives each time for few goats and camels in some outback muslim countries or maybe pay nothing for muslim girls from southern Thailand if you are proven yourself as capable terrorist.
Rooster

Postby Juan on Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi Roaster,

Your post gave me a lot to think. At the moment I find very hard to decide between the Indian bride (Not bad at all considering it is you who collect the dowry) and the second option, also rather exotic. Converting to Islam and marrying a 13 y/o with goats and camel included.

Well, let me think. I will post back as soon as I can make up my mind. Juan
Juan

Postby colin howard on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:02 pm

hi juan , how lucky you are for rooster to give his usual no nonsense easy to follow advice , colin .
colin howard

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:53 pm

Personally I think Thai men get too much of a bad name from farang.
My wife's father sits on his back-side, and does n't do much - but then he is close to retirement.
My much younger brother-in-law looks after my child well - ( I don''t mind buying him a beer ) - is made to work around the house by his mother, was hopeless in school - but has now been sent to join the Army : THAT will certainly make him work !!!!!
Ian

Postby Juan on Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:57 am

Hi Ian,

I fully subscribe to your views. Your exposition is spotless. Personally I also think that the way that children are brought up in Thailand is far better than in the West. The respect and consideration that Thais have for the elderly should make the so called “first world” blush with embarrassment.

Western countries could very well step off the old arrogant attitude and learn a couple of things from Asian societies. I admired many things in Thailand and my posting about Thai Tradition as you probably have guess it is not an attack on it but pointing out certain aspects and mainly a critic on how Tradition is manipulated and use in the wrong way.

I most agree with your comment about anti-foreigner laws. I think they could be synthesized in a few words: COME IN, SPEND IT ALL, AND GO AWAY. They seem to be design to torture the damn farang.

Strong vocations as we all know are hard to stop but I am not so sure that the majority of girls working in Pattaya, Bangkok etc. are happy to be there instead off being at home. But I will illustrate myself. Next time I get around Nana Street, Soy Cowboy, Patpong or down in Pattaya I will ask a few ladies about this, then I will report to let you know the result of my research. First hand.

Best regards
Juan
Juan

Postby Juan on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:03 am

Hi Robin,

Very sharp indeed your post. I wouldn’t be surprise if young Thais even know what traditional Thai culture is. I think a fast lost of old values is happening in Thailand in favor of “God knows what” I suspect the silly box (TV) have a lot to say about it.

Even the most remote village has television. Globalization will end up flattening the whole world.

Easy to idealize or to get a romantic idea of Thailand, especially when you go there for the first time. A closer look will let us see a country of many faces, very difficult to describe. You could say something about Thailand then somebody else could say the opposite and both of you could be right.

Yes, I also agree that Pattaya, etc.etc. represents quite a few threads of the fabric. Just another face of the many involve and not as marginal as some people could argue. The “oldest trade” has been well establish in South East Asia for centuries, is in good health and doesn’t have the stigma that it has in the West (Thanks God for that).

Something for sure is the fascination and attraction that Thailand has for westerners. What makes us come to Thailand again and again? Women, some people will say, but there are many countries with nice ladies. It is cheap, many countries are also cheap.
So what is it? Somebody knows the answer?

Juan
Juan

PreviousNext

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required