Civil marriage in district office

Civil marriage in district office

Postby Max on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Hi,

My fiancee and I are foreigners planning to get marriage in Bangkok during our vacation. I have found out from my embassy on the procedures required before the actual marriage at the district office. I need more information if you could help.

1. Is there an official website where all the addresses and contacts of the district offices can be found?

2. Do I need to make a prior booking of the marriage date and time at the district office? If so, how do I do so since I am not in Bangkok?

3. Do i need to bring witnesses? Can I not bring witnesses?

4. What are the fees for the actual registration at the district office?

5. Do they speak English? Do i need to bring a translator?

6. Any restrictions on dress code during the ceremony?
Max

RE: Civil marriage in district office

Postby Robert on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Max

1. I do not know. But if you ask any Thai in your district, they will be able to tell you where the district office is.

2. No. Just walk in. It takes less than 30 minutes to complete all the paperwork.

3. You are not required to bring witnesses but you may if you wish.

4. It used to be 40 baht to get married. (2003)

5. You should have no problem. There should be someone in the district office who speaks English, particularly if you are getting married at one of the popular foreigner destinations. (Bangkok, Pattaya, etc)

6. No, but it nevertheless would be proper to dress respectfully. Casual slacks and shirt is fine.. No flip flops, shorts, etc

I would not suggest hiring a lawyer, etc etc.. You can handle all of it yourself.. It is quite easy.

Good Luck to you and your fiancee.

Robert
Robert

RE: RE: Civil marriage in district office

Postby Max on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi Robert, thanks for your info!
Max

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required