MARRIAGE ADVICE

MARRIAGE ADVICE

Postby neil4374 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:10 am

Hey,

Not sure if I've posted in the right spot, apologies if i havnt. I am a Britsh chap and my girlfriend is Thai, We are getting married in Thailand in February. I Have been researching the advice and documentation needed and now pretty much understand the hoops to jump through etc!
However....
Once we are legally married and we have a copy of the Thai marriage certificate, how do I go about getting a 'sworn translation and where? Any ideas of costs involved and how long it takes to get done?

Also do i have to get that copy legalised by the embassy or ministry of foriegn affiars?

I will be leaving Thailand shortly after getting married(unfortunately), so i must have a english version of the marriage certificate.

I also understand that my girlfriends last name will change but I will not at this stage have time to change her passport to the new name on the marriage certificate. This is something I will have to do at the Thai embassy in the next country we go to..Any problems here?

thanks for any helpful advice:)
neil4374

Re: MARRIAGE ADVICE

Postby bobbyd on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 pm

by neil4374 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:10 am

Hey,

Not sure if I've posted in the right spot, apologies if i havnt. I am a Britsh chap and my girlfriend is Thai, We are getting married in Thailand in February. I Have been researching the advice and documentation needed and now pretty much understand the hoops to jump through etc!
However....
Once we are legally married and we have a copy of the Thai marriage certificate, how do I go about getting a 'sworn translation and where? Any ideas of costs involved and how long it takes to get done?

Also do i have to get that copy legalised by the embassy or ministry of foriegn affiars?

I will be leaving Thailand shortly after getting married(unfortunately), so i must have a english version of the marriage certificate.

I also understand that my girlfriends last name will change but I will not at this stage have time to change her passport to the new name on the marriage certificate. This is something I will have to do at the Thai embassy in the next country we go to..Any problems here?

thanks for any helpful advice:)

Would imagine the embassy would have answers! Have you done an internet search on marriage certificate translations in Thailand?
bobbyd

Postby neil4374 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:46 pm

yes, of course, before posting.
'I Have been researching the advice and documentation needed and now pretty much understand the hoops to jump through etc!'
neil4374

Postby MTT on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:14 pm

The process going from English to Thai is simple. A LICENSED translator has a stamp they use with their registration number etc which serves as verification for the Thais. Thai to English? - Not sure if your final destination would accept that or not. So only they (those you are giving the document to) can tell you what is accepted as official. (the translators stamp, a Thai Notary Public, or a Notary Public from your embassy, or just the registration information when you register your marriage).
MTT

Postby neil4374 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Hey MTT,
Thats a spot on point.
I will goto the chaps that will require proof of the marriage and ask what they will require:)

Cheers

Neil
neil4374

Postby sibley on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:59 pm

The best marriage advice I can give you is don't.
sibley

Postby kenny on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:37 am

Neil

you do not say where you will marry? or how? there are several ways to marry in Thailand, most other countries will only accept a Thai legal marriage, this you do at the Amper Office (distict office) for this you will need 2 witnesses and if you don't speak Thai someone to interpret for you, I can't remember if there is a cost don't think so. this is not a ceramony just a legal contract between you, they will issue (in Thai) a marriage cert.

be wary of translators, if they do a bad job (many do) it will not be accepted by government officals, you can get an offical translation and certification done at the Thai Consulate in Bangkok about 800 baht i think takes about 4 days.

your wife changing her surname name to yours is optional, i don't know your plans for travel or to where, but i think if she does change names you will have to get a new passport for her visa applications before she can travel. you can do that at the Thai Consulate too, you can get the cost from their web site.

if your wife travels on her maiden name i think you will have problems with officaldom. many countries are not very simpathetic when it comes to Thai, best not to complicate things, take the time to get things done even if it means waiting and travelling later.

hope this is of some help to you, best wishes and good luck
kenny
kenny

Postby johnnyh on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:58 am

Hi, Neal

As advised, the British Embassy will want to see a certified translation of your marriage cetificate and any other Thai documents you may have to support your visa application(i.e. stamped and signed by a registered translator). The most important consideration, however, is where you plan to live after you are married. If you intend to live in UK, don't think that getting residency for your wife is quick and easy. It can be a long and tortuous journey and it gets more difficult with every new bit of UK legislation. Good luck, anyway!!!
johnnyh

Postby lokumm on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi,

Check this page for the marriage certification translation. I think it's easy from there. Just fill out your info.
If you are outside of Thailand, the Thai consulate in your country can certify your copy for you.
http://www.consular.go.th/modules.php?n ... age&pid=98

good luck
lokumm

Postby nowayout on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:13 am

I got my Thai marriage certificate translated from Thai to English on Silom 3rd or 4th floor next to Central by an "Official" translation company. Had to go back because they spelled my name wrong (even after I gave them a copy of my passport). Then tried to use the "official" translated document at the Thai Embassy in KL. They found many translation errors. Luckily the Thai embassy in KL offers translation services and half the price too. They also gave the translated document an official "Translated by the Royal Thai Embassy" seal with the Thai version attached and folded together wth another stamp covering the fold. I made a good color copy and use it everywhere with no questions.
nowayout

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required