The Value of a Tourist.

Re: The Value of a Tourist.

Postby Sean Moran on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:11 am

Ian wrote:
Sean Moran wrote:
Ian wrote:Sean, I have asked you this before but youi did not reply, when were you last in Thailand, what year?

You're probably just a bit forgetful, Ian and please keep on-topic. :roll:

That comment was predictable, my question was on topic, it was to help me understand why you seem to talk about Thailand as it was years ago rather than now. :cheers:

Wrong again.

The topic of this thread is "The Value of a Tourist" not "Let's Attack Sean" so either get back on toipic or write me a PM. You're wasting a thread with your limited understanding.
Sean Moran

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:24 am

"You're wasting a thread with your limited understanding." You are so correct, I forgot I was talking to someone who knows and understands ALL THINGS.
Unfortunately this forum does not have bowing smilies, will you accept this from this humble and very limited person? :bows:
Ian

Postby gipchimsa on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:00 pm

I haven't read all the above posts, it has become a long thread.

I feel that there is a vast difference between the tourist and the ex-pat. In this sense, I am confined to largely referring to the English, as that is my nationality.

I worked in Bkk. for considerable periods. I lived more or less as an ex-pat. I found some of the English tourists I came across as boorish and complaining, about everything; the pavements, the food (??) , the heat(???) the trafic and even the hard beds in hotels. Copious amounts of alcohol assisted in instilling an attitude of superiority. But holiday makers have some excuse for this over-consumption. Next week they are back at work.

One instance I remember well was when a family of glums from Manchester, lardies to the extreme, marched into the German Beerhouse on Suk. Soi.11 when the televisions there were showing the truly marvellous events celebrating the King's 60th anniversary. The Thai employees, and others, were fixated. The lardies with their beer and their air of self-importance demaded that the "football" should be turned to because their beloved Manure game was being screened. Their disbelief and anger at at having their request refused was embarrasing. They stormed out, leaving the drinks they had ordered undrunk and unpaid for. Punks in extremis. Us ex-pats clubbed together to pay the bill, to the unfortunate waitresse's relief. Such commonplace nonsense does nothing to endear us to the average hard working and friendly Thai worker.

Now I am a holiday maker and in new circles, I find the ex-pats I meet unfriendly, superior, smug and quite frankly know-alls. I seem to get on well with my fellow tourists (having not come across any glums yet) as we have something in common.

Perceptions are what your circumstances dictate. What must the Thais make of all this?

In sum, If I were to decide to come back to LOS to live, I would know what to expect and would only complain when necessary. Even though I have become rather a grumpy old man, who drinks too much.
gipchimsa

Postby AdoptingThai on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:42 pm

First, I must apologize for my fellow Americans who have behaved badly. Because so many tourists visit the United States, I understand how tourists can be rude, ignorant, and show a lack of respect. I also believe that the good far out weighs the bad. Tourists learn about the culture of the place they visit. I am looking forward to learning more about the Thai culture, because of our adoption of an orphan boy. It is important to us that our son keep and remember his Thai culture. We also want to help him keep his native language. We have heard nothing but positive things about how friendly and kind the Thai people are. I have one major concern. I am wondering because of the recent demonstrations how dangerous is it to be in Bangkok. My wife and I are adopting a Thai boy within the next week, and must visit government agencies to complete the adoption. I am concerned about the civil unrest, and hope the two side involved can come to a peaceful resolution.
AdoptingThai

Postby jeffrey on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Claude06france wrote:
Most Thai people do not make a living on foreign tourism.

....directly or indirectly. The myth that seems to be perpetuated, and therefor taken as gospel, that the general ideals of the tourism industry is expanded to wholly dependency. Nonsense. Peoples lives wouldn't change dramatically if tourism dried up tomorrow.
jeffrey

Postby dutchboy on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Who are we kidding here?

Of course tourism is important to Thailand. As stated by some posters, not the only source of income, but still an important factor to the whole economy.
Look at yourself as a private investor, would you like to gamble your whole capital in one investment, or spread over multiple?
Same with the economy, the more diversified it is, the better suited to absorb downturns in one of the sectors.

I live in a Soi where the guides for Bicycle Tours lead their foreign customers. Before the "Reds" actions they passed there virtually every day with groups of 8-15 tourists. After the "Reds" that went down to 2-3 times per week, and usually 2-4 tourists in a group. The guides did not look happy.
Now, after about 6 months, the groups are getting bigger again, the frequency gets higher, and the guides are starting to smile again, because....... $$$$

Now are all tourists good? No, course not, but that is not a Thailand problem, it is a world wide problem. Look at the havoc that Western European (British, Dutch, German etc) are causing in tourist centers in Spain and Greece. Difference with Thailand is that they are coping with it. Here they are just complaining that tourists are so bad.

Sex-tourism? Yes, so what. Granted, I come from a very progressive country when it comes to these kind of things (first to legalise marihuana, abortion, same sex marriage, etc), in my home country Prostitution is now an accepted for of work. A majority of the prostitutes is organised, get social benefits, etc. And yes, we are happy that foreign tourist come to Amsterdam, and spent their money there.
So why not in Thailand?
dutchboy

Previous

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns