The Value of a Tourist.

Re: The Value of a Tourist.

Postby tmvolunteer on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:51 am

Tourist = Money.
When Thais see a tourist spending more money in one evening than a Thai make in a month it is obvious they think that all farang are filthy rich. When I tell my Thai friends that it takes my brother one year to save up enough money to come and visit me here in Thailand for three weeks, they don't believe me. When I tell them that more than 90% of my friends back home cannot afford to drive around in a huge three liter pick-up truck, they don't believe me. I have a fourteen year old Honda Dream and sometimes I get the question why I don't have a car, I tell them that I cannot afford to buy one, they laugh and it is obvious... they don't believe me.
So what are the Thais to think about us farang when they see tourists throwing money around like there is no tomorrow?
What when they watch Hollywood movies? They know that all the best superheroes in the world are American, even if aliens should come from outer space they would land in America, and the Americans will save us all! There are so many movies showing that the good always wins over the bad, but in everyday life in Thailand it is the opposite, the one with the most money or the highest position rules. It is not easy to convince a Thai that the movies are just fiction, most of them actually think that this is the way it is in the western world.
The point is that Thai people know nothing about western culture and how can they know? They hardly know their own history. The education system in Thailand has gone from bad to worse in the last couple of years, with political turmoil and students and parents only worry about their immediate financial situation. For politicians and the rich, the education system is way back in the line of improvement. The politicians are too busy defending themselves from accusations from the opposition, and the rich are not interested in educating people, they would probably lose their gardener, driver, house maids and so on, if the Thai people were to be properly educated.
Tourism is not the highest income source for Thailand but most tourists think that it is, and it often shows in their behavior towards Thailand and its people. Often I see tourists behaving in a manner that makes me think "would they behave like this back home?" and I know that they wouldn't.
Where has the respect for each other disappeared to? Wherever it is, I hope that it comes back to us soon. Maybe respect has become a filthy rich tourist too. The true value of today's tourist = $$$.

Send a genuine smile to 10 people today and tomorrow will be a happier day.
tmvolunteer

Postby patrickoniam on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:33 am

"patrickoniam"]
james wrote:Another farang bites the dust. Just watched another farang on the news get tossed out of thailand. Something not that easy to do. First the guy gets taken advantage of by a thai bargirl . All his money and belongings gone. Then decides to sleep alongside the road with the thai mafia nearby. Smart move again. Then decides to cause some more problems himself , breaks into a public telephone to steal the coins. Just proves that a majority of the tourists that visit are,nt too bright. Another good reason the thai government should screen these people before entering and worry about what money these low life types bring here. Pattaya is a fine example and attracts the lowest types of tourists.

I agree with you there james. See, thats the thing with some tourists, that they dont understand and respect the regulations and cultures of different countries. they think they can act like theyre back home. Im Thai but I live in Sydney Australia and I dont know what other countries are like but i can tell that Aussies - guys - act like complete idiots when theyre drunk. Ive seen this when i was in Phuket as there are alot of aussies that holiday there. This gets to me when i see them act like that and disrespecting thai culture and people but at the same time - i feel ashamed for them as i been in Australia for a long time and consider myself aussie aswell. But its just a small percentage of tourists that act like that though. as i said, most toursist are quite well behaved that i see when i go home and they are good for the economy and good for thailand overall.
How would immigration police or stop the kind of toursits you gave example of above from entering thailand though?
[/quote]

to volenteer -
just look at my comments. i totally agree with you
patrickoniam

Postby patrickoniam on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:02 pm

i think that if you are a tourist in another country - you need to acknowledge that countries' rules, customs etc
as a tourist, it is up to you to earn the respect and respect the locals. If you do that in thailand, i guarantee you, you will recieve that back. Thats how thai people are - in general. Regardless of how much money you spend there
But on continuing on volunteers and my posts - some tourist act like complete idiots and have no respect at all. And im sure they act the same way in their own country
Best example is Australia - Australia has no identity and no real history or culture of its own, so aussies dont understand other countries' cultures/customs/way of life - so when aussies do travel overseas - in particular young males, they act like they do back home cause they have no clue. I can say this cause as i said previously, Im thai myself but have been in Sydney for the past 25 years. Ive seen these types of tourists and its not just in Thailand Im sure. But i have seen them in Phuket, Phi Phi and Koh Phangan for the full moon party where they trash the beach completely. These are the tourist Thailand can do WITHOUT. Theyre the back packer types that spend crap all money ( which is ok) but the main thing with them is little understanding and respect. They think they can just go overseas and act like they do back home. And treat locals like they treat people back home. These people need to learn the hard way and spend a couple of days in a thai prison!!!
Im sure that will sober them up and knock some sense and respect into them in no time
patrickoniam

Postby hidalgo on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Well, the different views and reviews of the role and value of a tourist in Thailand is very entertaining and informative. I have lived 10 years around Bangkok and 1 year in Rayong (near Koh Samed and Pattaya). I agree that tourism is not the only trade (business) in Thailand but one of the mainstays like manufacturing and agriculture. Bangsaen is still a tourist spot and you still have many small businesses running around this area (which would not be if Bangsaen is not located close to tourist spots or manufacturing facilities). Even in Greater Bangkok (12-15 million people), most of the people are work in offices or factories or service centers which would be directly and indirectly hit by the slow(er) economy and tourism. I would really love to understand the difference of a traveller from a tourist, but I am sure they would also affect the economy.
8-)
hidalgo

Postby patrickoniam on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:38 pm

hey hildago
i think tourists are the one who cause all the havoc and dont really do much travel. Travellers are the ones who have been to many places and return to each destination several times. And i feel that travellers have better understanding of the travel industry and of each place they have travelled to.
patrickoniam

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:22 pm

scyriacus wrote:
Ian wrote:...First the guy gets taken advantage of by a thai bargirl .... he then becomes a low life type
interesting logic here, how do you rate the bargirl, and the mafia that completed his conversion from tourist to lowlife?

you are right, ian, these guys are NOT converted by anyone.
they WERE lowlife before and they return to trash as soon as their little savings are gambled away.
certain types are victims, no matter where they are. only abroad they are worth a line in the news.
at home they are just statistical numbers. we do pity them, but it has nothing to do with thailand.....

Amazing how easy it is to be misunderstood on this forum :o

In my experience trash do not have savings, even little ones.
Ian

Postby steveyinasia on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:23 pm

To Patrickoniam,

Being an Australian I think your remarks about Australians having no understanding of other cultures is completely unfounded....we are one of the most multi cultural countries in the world and I am sure you are treated well in Australia, I cannot say the same of my treatment as a "Falang" in Thailand. I have lived overseas in several countries for the past 8 years and now lived in Bangkok for just over 12 months, Thailand I have found to be the most racist against foreigners, even Japan was OK. I am not the young tourist( I am sure young tourists of all countries can be accused of being rowdy). I do agree that all nations visiting need to respect the local laws.

It really puzzles me though why you would want to live in a country that has no culture, no identity of its own and no history...sure we are only a couple of hundred years old, a youngster compared to Thailand, do you have anything positive to say? As for respect that I will receive in Thailand.....I think you are definately not talking about taxi drivers, even though I know the route to my apartment to the nearest .2 kilometers, they still try to rip me off from the airport(35 trips last year) with rigged meters or no meter....where is my respect here? So if you want to nit pick....there is an example for you. How about the dual price system? How about the many people that have come to Thailand to make their home yet have no rights of house ownership and those on 12 months visa's needing to report every 90 days even though they contribute to the welfare of Thailand....I am sure you have a lot more freedoms in Australia.

So to my initial point, it is not only Australians that come here to visit and are disrespectful.......it is a collection of nations and in my experience, tourist in general can be loud and abnoxious...hey there are on holiday letting there hair down!!!

SteveY
steveyinasia

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:35 pm

patrickoniam wrote:hey hildago
i think tourists are the one who cause all the havoc and dont really do much travel. Travellers are the ones who have been to many places and return to each destination several times. And i feel that travellers have better understanding of the travel industry and of each place they have travelled to.

I have always regarded myself as a traveller, i think a glance through ony of my passports past or present would endorse that. So I am puzzled by these constant attacks on backpackers, most are also travellers. Carrying a backpack does not make you trash, it is simply a modern way of carrying belongings, I was a backpack carrier for many years, then I got too old and switched to a case on wheels ;)
Most backpackers spend months, even years on the road, they understand cultures and how to fit in. It is the 2 weeks a year tourist is the problem, he comes for full moon parties, songkram, cheap beer and sex, he knows nothing of Thai culture, probably takes a few pictures of a wat and that is it.
Ian

Postby Erich on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Erich

To Claude06france

I am a foreigner myself, and I do not see many foreigners in Prachuap Khirikan, Phitsanulok, Mukdahan or even Bang Saen where I live.

Sorry that I have to comment on this.

Prachuap Khirikan means also Cha-am and Hua Hin and if you can't see there many foreigners, than I don't know what you understand for "many".

Regards 8-)
Erich

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi FOS, I agree with you.
International news will say "unrest in Thailand". We know it is in the extreme south, the news does not hilight that fact.
If you have time, also try a little experiment.
Search something using google, then do exactly the same search using yahoo, see what the primary hits are!
stilljustbrowsing

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns