The Value of a Tourist.

Re: The Value of a Tourist.

Postby patrickoniam on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:50 am

steveyinasia wrote:To Patrickoniam,

Being an Australian I think your remarks about Australians having no understanding of other cultures is completely unfounded....we are one of the most multi cultural countries in the world and I am sure you are treated well in Australia, I cannot say the same of my treatment as a "Falang" in Thailand. I have lived overseas in several countries for the past 8 years and now lived in Bangkok for just over 12 months, Thailand I have found to be the most racist against foreigners, even Japan was OK. I am not the young tourist( I am sure young tourists of all countries can be accused of being rowdy). I do agree that all nations visiting need to respect the local laws.

It really puzzles me though why you would want to live in a country that has no culture, no identity of its own and no history...sure we are only a couple of hundred years old, a youngster compared to Thailand, do you have anything positive to say? As for respect that I will receive in Thailand.....I think you are definately not talking about taxi drivers, even though I know the route to my apartment to the nearest .2 kilometers, they still try to rip me off from the airport(35 trips last year) with rigged meters or no meter....where is my respect here? So if you want to nit pick....there is an example for you. How about the dual price system? How about the many people that have come to Thailand to make their home yet have no rights of house ownership and those on 12 months visa's needing to report every 90 days even though they contribute to the welfare of Thailand....I am sure you have a lot more freedoms in Australia.

So to my initial point, it is not only Australians that come here to visit and are disrespectful.......it is a collection of nations and in my experience, tourist in general can be loud and abnoxious...hey there are on holiday letting there hair down!!!

SteveY

To steveyinasia
You have a good point- Dont get me wrong, I love Australia and we are very multi - cultural and Australia has provided me with alot of good things in life where i might have not recieved had i stayed in Thailand.And I am thankful for that.
I guess using Australia was just an example - as I have seen it even here in Sydney and i am generalising. I know that people from other countries can be just as bad - and not just in Thailand.But being Aussie yourself - you have to admit - when aussies drink, they drink cause aussies love to drink - thats just how it is mate, and ive seen it in Thailand when they drink and they act like theyre back home where they act like idiots and as i said, as an aussie citizen, im embarrased by it a little. It gives aussies a bad rep when I know that for the most part, aussies are one of the best people in the world!! Its just an example just in relation to this topic thats all it was.
But I am also proud of my back ground and proud of my heritage and it just gets to me to see some, not all, some tourist not being very respectful in Thailand. And I would say the same thing if people disrespected Australia.
So im not trying tyo slag off all aussies as bad tourists - its just a one off example - its just from that one incident i saw in phuket.
patrickoniam

Postby Dave Masman on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:39 am

Tourist trash with money? You'd better believe it. If you go to Pattaya, your jaw can sometimes hit the floor listening to some of the alcoholics in the bars. How the hell did these uneducated low-lifes get money for a return flight and 3 to 6 months living expenses... and more to the point, what about the job they have to go back to? (Excluding the retired; Borat: "You are a retard?"). Last time I was in the Pig and Whistle it was a group of WINDOW CLEANERS who had this miraculous disposable income...

Add in the increasing amount of Russian visitors into this scenario (interesting that a German poster should get so annoyed about their increasing numbers over here, can't think why!). And the answer?

THAILAND ATTRACTS CRIMINALS. Cheap booze and women goes hand-in-hand with being a bad-boy. Fortunately, the destinations already mentioned above cater to their tastes and one does have a choice of locality and habitat. I apologise to any PC types who think I'm stereotyping, but the fact is that many wrong-uns end up over here, spending their hard-earned loot. ;)
Dave Masman

Postby american2 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 am

Value, very debatable. There is the trickle down through Thai economics but the big business of course keeps the lion share. Sometimes the local shop keeper really does make a few baht a day. The food stalls and markets in the tourist areas I am sure see value. I wonder if there has really been value though by the demands of tourists to bring their comforts and desires to Thailand. Some improvements might be of benefit but the cost is enormous and usually out of reach of the average Thai. Most tourists don't see whats behind the curtain. Families living in cramped living conditions they would never in their nightmares imagine. Tourists spending money on a single meal that would pay for food for a week for many Thai's. Insulting the customs and culture with their ignorance and complaining about what they (tourists) feel the country is lacking. There are good tourist and many bring value to the Thai people and Thailand but unfortunately not enough. Tourists i think are taking /getting more than they are willing to give.
american2

Postby patrickoniam on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Dave Masman wrote:Tourist trash with money? You'd better believe it. If you go to Pattaya, your jaw can sometimes hit the floor listening to some of the alcoholics in the bars. How the hell did these uneducated low-lifes get money for a return flight and 3 to 6 months living expenses... and more to the point, what about the job they have to go back to? (Excluding the retired; Borat: "You are a retard?"). Last time I was in the Pig and Whistle it was a group of WINDOW CLEANERS who had this miraculous disposable income...

Add in the increasing amount of Russian visitors into this scenario (interesting that a German poster should get so annoyed about their increasing numbers over here, can't think why!). And the answer?

THAILAND ATTRACTS CRIMINALS. Cheap booze and women goes hand-in-hand with being a bad-boy. Fortunately, the destinations already mentioned above cater to their tastes and one does have a choice of locality and habitat. I apologise to any PC types who think I'm stereotyping, but the fact is that many wrong-uns end up over here, spending their hard-earned loot. ;)

i agree with you dave - i mean besides the old dirty retirees which hang out with girls young enough to be their grand daughters in pattaya, how do the mid age guys afford to stay for 3 - 6 months on end then still have a job to go back to
I live in australia and it takes me 6 months to save up to go back home to thailand for 2 weeks - and i stay with family in BKK so no hotel cost!! And if i went on leave from my job for 3 - 6 months, my job would tell me not to bother coming back!!
How do the russians do it? i mean, i dont meanto be racists or anything but russia isnt exactly a wealthy country with great economy. They must be tied to the maffia
patrickoniam

Postby tristanc on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:03 am

Greetings :) What is my value as a tourist? A very good question, The easy answer is the money that I bring into the country, and yes we tourists do bring millions of dollers or pounds every year this is fact. We dont bring much else if the truth be known....but I for one feel that Thailand is the best value for money destination in the world , even in the current economic climate Thailand is the place for me. But my main reason to write this note is this , for all my visits to your beautiful land I feel it has given me far more than I have given or indeed brought in... I trully feel alive here.. I return home refreshed , relexed and at peace with myself and the world .If people else where were as pleasent as the Thais are, the world would be a far nicer place, your smiles and manners are worth much more than mere money..well thats it I guess the value of a tourist is the ability to take what he or she learns in Thailand ,to share those experiences and thereby increasing the the influx of tourist to the most beautiful place in the world :D
tristanc

Postby patrickoniam on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:14 am

tristanc wrote:Greetings :) What is my value as a tourist? A very good question, The easy answer is the money that I bring into the country, and yes we tourists do bring millions of dollers or pounds every year this is fact. We dont bring much else if the truth be known....but I for one feel that Thailand is the best value for money destination in the world , even in the current economic climate Thailand is the place for me. But my main reason to write this note is this , for all my visits to your beautiful land I feel it has given me far more than I have given or indeed brought in... I trully feel alive here.. I return home refreshed , relexed and at peace with myself and the world .If people else where were as pleasent as the Thais are, the world would be a far nicer place, your smiles and manners are worth much more than mere money..well thats it I guess the value of a tourist is the ability to take what he or she learns in Thailand ,to share those experiences and thereby increasing the the influx of tourist to the most beautiful place in the world :D

tristan mate - you're the kind of tourist Thailand needs!!! someone who respects the culture and appreciates what it has to offer.thats what travelling is about mate . Im like that too when i go to thailand.i guess im abit biased being that im thai
but everytime i go home, its definitely hard for me to leave
patrickoniam

Postby tristanc on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:31 am

patrickoniam wrote:
tristanc wrote:Greetings :) What is my value as a tourist? A very good question, The easy answer is the money that I bring into the country, and yes we tourists do bring millions of dollers or pounds every year this is fact. We dont bring much else if the truth be known....but I for one feel that Thailand is the best value for money destination in the world , even in the current economic climate Thailand is the place for me. But my main reason to write this note is this , for all my visits to your beautiful land I feel it has given me far more than I have given or indeed brought in... I trully feel alive here.. I return home refreshed , relexed and at peace with myself and the world .If people else where were as pleasent as the Thais are, the world would be a far nicer place, your smiles and manners are worth much more than mere money..well thats it I guess the value of a tourist is the ability to take what he or she learns in Thailand ,to share those experiences and thereby increasing the the influx of tourist to the most beautiful place in the world :D

tristan mate - you're the kind of tourist Thailand needs!!! someone who respects the culture and appreciates what it has to offer.thats what travelling is about mate . Im like that too when i go to thailand.i guess im abit biased being that im thai
but everytime i go home, its definitely hard for me to leave

Thank you.. :)
tristanc

Postby Belthazar on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:03 am

Dave Masman wrote:Tourist trash with money? You'd better believe it. If you go to Pattaya, your jaw can sometimes hit the floor listening to some of the alcoholics in the bars. How the hell did these uneducated low-lifes get money for a return flight and 3 to 6 months living expenses... and more to the point, what about the job they have to go back to? (Excluding the retired; Borat: "You are a retard?"). Last time I was in the Pig and Whistle it was a group of WINDOW CLEANERS who had this miraculous disposable income...

Add in the increasing amount of Russian visitors into this scenario (interesting that a German poster should get so annoyed about their increasing numbers over here, can't think why!). And the answer? THAILAND ATTRACTS CRIMINALS.

Oh, You moral crusader :) - Who are You, that You judge people as low-lifes etc. ?
How somebody can make money for long stay in Thailand ? Easily. For example - in Europe - it is just enough to have independent job - just work for You - like plumber or even window cleaner and after 6 months You have money to live in Thailand for next 6 months - no problem
Russian visitors ? Many countries in EU tolerate them because of money, but definitely not like them - They do not know how to behave in polite way - most of them
Tourist trash with money? Pattaya is not a problem - only 10 pct. of prostitution in Thailand is consumed by farangs - 90 pct. is for locals.

One suggestion - VISA only for people with master degree - but You will be very suprised how many of those educated will go to spent their money in Pattaya
Belthazar

Postby villager on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:51 am

Belthazar wrote:

Add in the increasing amount of Russian visitors into this scenario (interesting that a German poster should get so annoyed about their increasing numbers over here, can't think why!). And the answer? THAILAND ATTRACTS CRIMINALS.

Oh, You moral crusader :) - Who are You, that You judge people as low-lifes etc. ?
How somebody can make money for long stay in Thailand ? Easily. For example - in Europe - it is just enough to have independent job - just work for You - like plumber or even window cleaner and after 6 months You have money to live in Thailand for next 6 months - no problem
Russian visitors ? Many countries in EU tolerate them because of money, but definitely not like them - They do not know how to behave in polite way - most of them
Tourist trash with money? Pattaya is not a problem - only 10 pct. of prostitution in Thailand is consumed by farangs - 90 pct. is for locals.

One suggestion - VISA only for people with master degree - but You will be very suprised how many of those educated will go to spent their money in Pattaya
Of Course Belthazar you are quite correct, i personally know 3 people who work their tails off for 6 months in the UK then come here for 6 months to spend it, how these people can be adjudged to be somehow "lowlifes" is somewhat hard to comprehend , (maybe jealously is playing a hand here who knows!), all have regular girlfriends who live here FULL TIME who they send money to every month,i have heard from others that this is quite a regular occurrence all over Thailand , if this is fact then are indeed a valuable addition to the farang community and in no way should be classed as lowlifes.
villager

Postby Sean Moran on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:23 am

by villager on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:51 am [125.26.106.xx]

Of Course Belthazar you are quite correct, i personally know 3 people who work their tails off for 6 months in the UK then come here for 6 months to spend it, how these people can be adjudged to be somehow "lowlifes" is somewhat hard to comprehend , (maybe jealously is playing a hand here who knows!), all have regular girlfriends who live here FULL TIME who they send money to every month,i have heard from others that this is quite a regular occurrence all over Thailand , if this is fact then are indeed a valuable addition to the farang community and in no way should be classed as lowlifes.

Lowlifes, international opportunists, half-hearted lazy buggers, carpetbaggers. Call them what you like.
Sean Moran

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns