Maid in Bangkok

Re: Maid in Bangkok

Postby Citizen on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi :

I do not agree with SiamBob at all . This is a very clear class issue . This is absolutely normal in here. For "hi" So in Thailand , working class is another kind of people , if people . It is not a question of maid service at all . That is a typical Thai prejudiced answer . Trying to divert the real nature of the problem , as in Thailand there is no problem between Thai people , unless working class people try to be same kind of people as "hi-so" one . For middle or hi Thai class , there is no citizen in Thailand , there is just people who has money and working and low class people . Of course that there are people with nice education , and culture , what it is not very common in hi class in Thailand . Concepts like citizen , human rights , equal opportunity , are just some Western - Farang concepts that they are not interested in . That answer is typical from only "some" Thai people who think they are very very special ones , and of course ,better than normal , and for me really lovely and charm, rest of the people . In this context , how did you dare to talk with a maid as if she belongs to the same status ? Are you crazy ? Ah , no , you are just a farang . Then the best way to disqualify you politely and aparently without any purpose , is suposing that there was a mistake . A "innocent" mistake from one farang who does not "Understand " Thai culture . So far I know about Thai culture , it respects a lot to the people You can follow your good mood with maids, handyman or whoever nice person in Thailand . Thai people are specialy good people. And ignore the other hide and dark culture.
Citizen

Postby benpowers on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:25 pm

what a load of codswallop as the english say! this country has virtually no class distinction whatsoever. the thai people are one of the easiest to converse with! they love conversing with any farangs who take the trouble to make conversation with them.
this is one country that i can go up to a total stranger and within minutes, sit and chat as if there was no tomorrow! thai people love it if you show an interest in them and their culture and of course, their beautiful country.
i have never come across any class distinction in my travels around thailand. when i first moved to my village people used to stare and wonder what a farang was doing so far from the glitter and glamour of the cities. all i did was smile and wave and i made contact! every morning i get the same treatment now, a big smile and a friendly wave! wonderful! where else can i go to get this???
benpowers

Postby kruusurat on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:33 am

I am a teacher living in Surat Thani, I have been here for 1 year and plan to stay on. I am Australian, and anyone familiar with Australia will know that we are the most racially multicultural society in the world (approx. 25% of our citizens were born overseas, including my father). When talking to Thai people here, I make no distinctions regarding vocation or class, as I have been taught/raised to believe that this is inappropriate behavior. I can speak Thai at a basic conversational level and because of this I have never had any reprimands regarding who I talk to. My boss has 2 maids, and he treats them very well - if he takes the teaching staff out for a celebratory meal, then they come too.

I am not familiar with Bangkok, but down here in Surat many maids are not Thai, they are Burmese. Now, if several people who are contributing to this discussion are being told not to speak to Thai maids and to essentially ignore them like "unworthy peasants", then how are all the Burmese immigrants treated? People are people, regardless of where they came from. In Australia, anybody can get a high paying job with the right education and attitude, so look at the person inside, not the uniform on the outside.
kruusurat

Postby charleskirk on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:37 pm

Our family in Bangkok (my wife is Thai and I am American) has a maid and I talk to her every time we visit and no one seems to mind or has had anything negative to say about it so whoever is saying something negative about you talking to the servants has a personal problem borne out of prejudice, not protocol.
I also try to converse with vendors and other people I meet on the street or in the village where my wife is from as a matter of being neighborly and promoting good will toward the Thai people which I love dearly.
Proper attitude and conversation have always been well received and I believe most Thai people appreciate those of us who are friendly without seeking something in return. It is difficult in a culture where most foriegners are tourists seeking something for themselves to prove you are simply being friendly and not trying to get something but once the people of the area get to know who you are and what you intend it gets easier to overcome the distrust of some.
Keep on being friendly and speaking to those arround you and enjoy Thailand with an open heart. It will pay off in the grattitude of those who find not all foriegners are scheming for an advantage but can actually be good people.
charleskirk

Postby patman on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 am

I have a Thai wife, her advice is for you to go to Thai speaking class and learn their language. Sometimes we know what we are speaking but, to the Thais, certain words may not be appropriate.

I did not go to any Thai classes, that's why I learnt Thai the hard way... I used to speak to everyone, new Thai words or phrases. Phrases like: "Have you taken your meal?" is not an appropriate question to be asked to strangers, only to guests to our home.

The best way to be friendly, without hurting anyone, is to smile. This is the most polite way. However, bowing down while walking pass someone is not appropriate. The action is meant for people of lower status, example: employees to their employer; servants to the boss.

Speaking to the maid also might imply that you are after the maid, as your girl friend.

Well, I never knew all these customs, until I learnt from my wife... so the best way for you to adapt to the Thai culture is to learn from Thai friends or classes.

Take care & God bless.
patman

Postby FlynnUOGM on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:38 am

Where can I find an affordable maid in Thailand? I am considering moving to Bangkok and am looking for a live in situation.
FlynnUOGM

Postby bobbyd on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 am

by FlynnUOGM on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:38 am

Where can I find an affordable maid in Thailand? I am considering moving to Bangkok and am looking for a live in situation.

Once your settled, start asking round with the neighbors, in the neighborhood. A google search would no doubt supply you more places to look. It won't take long
bobbyd

Postby settleone on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Heard about a place in Bangkok helping housewives find a maid. Here's the number:

09-9178-4400 or 09-7136-3500

settleone

Previous

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns