America bashing at Esplanade Mall

Re: America bashing at Esplanade Mall

Postby gormenghast on Sat May 29, 2010 4:22 am

Why is "freedom of speech" such an elastic term? I will defend the right to express oneself logically and honestly even if I am totally opposed to what that person says. At the same time, I am appalled that so much space can be used to argue about an allegedly offensive T-shirt. On the historical front, the American determination to disassemble the British Empire at the end of World War II involved a great deal of horse-trading in Southeast Asia, as a result of which Britain regained and retained Hong Kong, Malaya and Singapore, while permitting Thailand to fall within the American "sphere of influence". This was greatly expanded during the Vietnam debacle and resulted in Bangkok delights such as Soi Cowboy, not to mention the preferential status of US commercial enterprises in Thailand. However, Americans are in a minority among the Farang community here, which is probably a blessing today. If they all started issuing ukases about -- to them -- offensive T-shirts, we would be here for several more pages. Have a wondeful weekend! :cheers:
gormenghast

Postby TeaShirtParty on Sat May 29, 2010 8:58 am

Dear Gohmer,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We are pleased to inform you that we have secured adequate support for a thorough investigation into the display of t-shirts at the Esplanade Mall. The following organisations and individuals have voiced their concern and demand to get to the bottom of this: The Mexican Camberio de Comico, the Canadian Enterprise Office, the Consul General of Uruguay in Bangkok, as well as the Missuri Cottonwool Shipping Association (MICOWAS).

Our preliminary investigation have indicated that the aforementioned t-shirt vendor at the Esplanade Mall did not intend to cause offence to American people. The vendor's spokesperson assured us that the use of an exclamation mark for the printed design was not meant to imply a demand for some kind of carnal activity, and stated: “We thought it just looked cool ka.” In response, the Mall issued a statement that they are sorry over the possible confusion and announced that most of the outlets will now give a 10% discount to nationals of all 35 American countries.

The t-shirt manufacturer acknowledged that their collection had an inappropriate balance and announced a new collection with a range of additional designs called “Antarctica”, “Asia”, and “Australia”. However, there are currently no plans for a “Europe” version, as the introduction of a new capital letter might not be possible in the immediate future.

Yours sincerely,

Jo Machito
Vice Deputy Secretary, Tea Shirt Party
TeaShirtParty

Postby yankeepride on Sat May 29, 2010 9:13 am

I am an American, and I agree with you. But the bigger picture is that I would object to the flag and citizens of any country being subjected to such an obscene message. What kind of low-life would buy or wear such an offensive shirt? Best wishes for the boycott, but most likely zero sales will doom this trashy merchandise to the junk heap it should rightly occupy.
yankeepride

Postby faranginkorat on Mon May 31, 2010 8:44 am

juggernaut:

How many people have had their American citizenship stripped for perceived anti-American sentiment???

I don't even think we have a process for doing that.

The T-shirt is in bad taste, very bad taste.

That is why a Thai analagy would get somebody put in jail, probably for a very long time.

It is also worth noting that there are limits on free speech in America, they just do not include flag desecration.

For example, KKK leaders have gone to jail for "inciting" others to commit crimes.

They did not have free speech.

I would like some feed-back on the following hypothesis:

Unrestricted democracies fail when the majority of voters are too uneducated or selfish to vote for the common good.

If Americans had to be high-school graduates, fluent in English, have no criminal history, and not been on the government dole in the last 5 years to vote, do you think Obama would be president???

I suggest that Thailand's current problems are very simlar.

America's is due to the deterioration of our society, Thailand's is because Thaksin recruited the lower classes, many of whom can not even speak Thai or find Thailand on a globe.

This is not an original thought of mine.

A Frenchman named Alexis de'Toqueville visited America after our revolution and before his and wrote the same thing.

(I read the book over 40 years ago, so please excuse me if I did not spell his name correctly or quote him exactly.)

In those days, a person had to be white, male and own land (the equivalent of having a good job today) in order to vote.

I am not sure those are the appropriate criterion to use today, but it is quite clear that not everybody should be allowed to vote.
faranginkorat

Postby faranginkorat on Mon May 31, 2010 8:46 am

juggernaut:

How many people have had their American citizenship stripped for perceived anti-American sentiment???

I don't even think we have a process for doing that.

The T-shirt is in bad taste, very bad taste.

That is why a Thai analagy would get somebody put in jail, probably for a very long time.

It is also worth noting that there are limits on free speech in America, they just do not include flag desecration.

For example, KKK leaders have gone to jail for "inciting" others to commit crimes.

They did not have free speech.

I would like some feed-back on the following hypothesis:

Unrestricted democracies fail when the majority of voters are too uneducated or selfish to vote for the common good.

If Americans had to be high-school graduates, fluent in English, have no criminal history, and not been on the government dole in the last 5 years to vote, do you think Obama would be president???

I suggest that Thailand's current problems are very simlar.

America's is due to the deterioration of our society, Thailand's is because Thaksin recruited the lower classes, many of whom can not even speak Thai or find Thailand on a globe.

This is not an original thought of mine.

A Frenchman named Alexis de'Toqueville visited America after our revolution and before his and wrote the same thing.

(I read the book over 40 years ago, so please excuse me if I did not spell his name correctly or quote him exactly.)

In those days, a person had to be white, male and own land (the equivalent of having a good job today) in order to vote.

I am not sure those are the appropriate criterion to use today, but it is quite clear that not everybody should be allowed to vote.
faranginkorat

Postby secret squirrel on Mon May 31, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm a motivated American living here in the BKK. I understand your anger at the store inside the Esplanade Mall. And good on you for starting the rebellion. I would join you, but you see...I bought my card that i can only spend at the Esplanade cinema,so I'm just going to have to catch you next time :D :D . And lets not blame Esplanade for someone selling a shirt that probably has an entirely different view of the shirt concept - that mall is neat. :mrgreen:
secret squirrel

Postby asiascharlie on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:12 am

Wow you get bent out of shape pretty easy .Most people dont even know what the t-shirt they are wearing says if its in English.One shirt vendor speaks for all of Thailand ?
asiascharlie

Postby jeffrey on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Rather sensitive, aren't we? Humility might be the best medicine. Because, if your {national character} isn't as special, extraordinary, or exceptional as perhaps you've been intuitively conditioned and illusion replaces the model, you'll be in a world of hurt....spinning and spinning.
jeffrey

Postby writemotive on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:27 am

I would suggest anyone offended by the T-shirt to express their opinion to the store's manager. Personally, I would inform the store staff I will never buy anything from them and leave. End of story.
writemotive

Postby overhaul38 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 am

I think most everyone is offended by a deliberate insult. The tee shirt wasn't trying to be funny or witty..just insulting.
overhaul38

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns