All the new electronics!

All the new electronics!

Postby MTT on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:20 am

With so many new telephones and computers coming on the market, just wondering if anyone is interested in using this thread as a clearing house for questions/information about all of the stuff available. Talk about things you don't like with a new model you just bought. Tell us the prices so we can all compare the whats and wheres. Ask questions get info.
MTT

Re: All the new electronics!

Postby wilko on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Firstly I'd suggest that "new models" is they aren't available in Thailand....except as "gray" imports...

Another thing is if you make the mistake of buying something here you'll find that if you have a problem any customer service just melts away.

So, I'd suggest that if you would like to write about the hassle you've had with buying or getting service for any form of electronics good - post it here!
wilko

Postby MTT on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:03 pm

That has not been my experience. I find service here to be top notch and much cheaper than back home.
MTT

Postby wilko on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:55 pm

Well let me give you an example of dubious practices - this is by ALL the major retailers in Thailand.

if you buy a PC from them, you will find it has no operating system. The staff will then recommend that you or rather they should install a PIRATE COPY, this they will do in store as soon as you purchase the machine.

quite apart from the questionable legality of this, it often means the purchaser has an OS that fails to operate properly and won't update. Furthermore, it seems to leave the purchaser in a dubious position regards warranty and if discovered on entry to another country would certainly require that the customs officials take some form of action - e.g. confiscation or removal of the OS...maybe even prosecution.

Seeing as Thailand is giving a lot of lip service to IP, pirate copies etc, one wonders how these stores which are owned by those in positions of power and influence in with the current government can justify this
wilko

Re: All the new electronics - information

Postby MTT on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks, Wilko. I am aware of the practices in Thailand and that these same things happen in other countries. However, I am actually searching for information on the new electronics. For example, a friend of mine just told me he saw the new Samsung Galaxy pad at Paragon and liked it. He talked about the features it had vs the iPad I have. This is the information I am looking for rather than another thread about general corruption/illegalities in Thailand.

I also am not concerned that others can figure out how to make my iTouch/iPhone work better. If they can, I might buy it from them. I do not support the concept that because I bought one of these products I am now at the mercy of the folks at Apple as to how I can use it or that I can only buy from the Apple store. I bought it, it is now mine. I did not rent it. They sell me an item which is way over their profit mark, guarantee it for all of 90 days to a year, and expect me to give them a lifetime of brand loyalty and future purchases. I don't think so. I also don't need a special site to control my saved items, I have the ability to store files and programs on my own memory stick. Why should they control my ability to do that etc., etc. They can just get on their cloud and float away.
MTT

Postby MTT on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:36 am

To get the thread back on topic. If anyone knows about the new electronic gadgets out there and what features they have, this thread is to point out why one product may or may not be better than another. Compare features, prices, etc. Think of it as a clearing house for information. I hear the new Samsung pad is in Bangkok. It is a little smaller than my original iPad but has a telephone capability and the ability to control your own file storage. I hope the folks at Apple wake up before their products get lost amidst the competition just like their original dominance of the PC world was lost when they thought they were in total control.
MTT

Postby wilko on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:48 am

Whereas Apple's shenanigans are world wide and are the policies of one brand, the behaviour of "other countries" - however disgraceful can hardly be seen as justification for the behaviour of Thailand;s retailers and the cavalier way they treat their customers.

So electronics in Thailand.

the Samsung Galaxy or Ipod it really doesn't matter as they are little more than jewelry here - a gaudy trinket, these electronic baubles, when they do find their way onto the Thai market, are of course only partially functional as the good government has seen fit to enmesh the introduction of 3G phone services in a quagmire of litigation and other legal procrastinations.

your Mac product - well you may object to having your personal electronics dominated by one man (wasn't Bill Gates bad enough?), but it would be nice to have a choice of retailers and retailers who knew something about the products they are selling.

Most of the "Mac" stores are in fact one company - Banana IT - under the guise of "com 7". worse still they don't appear to spend any effort at all training their staff who for the most part re clueless.

Any questions about product, whether in English or thai are usually met with a blank stair, an air of total incomprehension followed by some inane suggestion about an unrelated topic.

failing that they resort to saying "yes"..........(I think this is what they have been told is some kind of sales pitch)

"Is it compatible with my PC?"
"Yes"
"Can I make toast with it?"
"Yes"
"Are there little men inside it who operate it?"
"Yes"
"Are you the Queen of Sheba?"
"Yes" -
etc etc............

sadly the service they offer is pretty second rate. take a look at the product on display - in one shop I noticed that not one single Mac Notebook was a current model - no indication was given of this and no apparent reduction in price.

If you want to my a Mac Book in thailand BEWARE!

If you ask for any "extras" = like a high-speed hard rive etc, you may well be told that you will have to wait for weeks before the machine will be delivered.

There IS a way round this - if you buy your new Mac from the "Mac Thailand" web site, delivery of a model to your personal spec will be a matter of days.
Service is great, you can speak to an operator by phone (usually the same person each time) and the range is the very latest models

How can this be when the retail store takes weeks???

simple the site is based in SINGAPORE!
wilko

Postby MTT on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:01 am

So, anybody have any information about product features? I am particularly interested in the Galaxy S phone and the new Galaxy Pad versus the Apple products. Additionally I need to know whether to go with the Android system or wait for the Windows version. Any info would be helpful.
--------------------------------------------------
As a side note for the service in Thailand topic: After you have opened your account with iTunes, and if you cannot get help with your Apple product for whatever reason (I assume the phone companies selling the phones can provide a lot of help, I have no trouble getting service from the True stores where my Internet/GPRS service is from and from AIS who has my telephone number. I bought my phone second-hand at a small retail shop in Panthip on Ngam Wong Wan Road). (I have no desire to own a MacBook at triple the price. My Acer PC and my eeePC will have to do.) When I had trouble opening my iTunes account for my iPad which I bought at some shop named iStudio or something like that, the Apple Shop in Central Chaeng-Wattana gave me the following number for the Apple Hotline 001-800-0441-2904. This is a US number but it was answered in Singapore. They asked me to write to them at http://www.apple.com/asia/support/itunes - select email and tell them the problem. An answer arrived in less than 24 hours and the problem was solved in about two days. After I got all this done, I heard they then released the iPAD in Japan. Surprised me, too, since I already had one up and running. I then realized that the Apple Store here probably did not have any iPADS for sale yet because Apple had not 'released' them (ergo the term jailbreak), but they had no problem getting me help for the one I bought at another store. I think the service is reasonable and quite possible to obtain from a variety of sources. I am not unfamiliar with service in Thailand.

If you are using a stall (or any) shop, the trick is to use one which has a guy actually making repairs at a table in the corner. The ones which only have used phones surrounded by phone cases and other goods can't help you much. The final trick is to go back a second time if you must and take a friend who can speak Thai and knows about electronics and technical stuff. After they have finished with the obligatory small talk like 'making toast' and where the farang is from and where he works, they will either give you an answer or tell you where you can get an answer if they know. If they don't, just tell them that you do not need to buy a phone case today when you are asked and everybody is happy. Then go to another shop - do not go to the shop next to the one you were just at because that will be her sister's shop and she doesn't know any additional information.
Last edited by MTT on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTT

Postby MTT on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:25 pm

Anybody out there with product information/comparison?
MTT

Postby MTT on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:45 pm

I see Apple is suing Motorola over screen technology on their android system. The real target is Google, but the sales growth is faster for Android phones over the Apple. So the news guy said Apple might be getting concerned. Here we go again Apple will demand control over it's system and try to shut others out. But the others will figure it out and Apple will lose it's dominance once again.

I know if the phones and the pads are similar and or better, I will certainly head for systems which give more control of file systems and don't reject flash and other search engines. What is wrong with that guy!

Anybody have an Android system? Would be great to get say a Galaxy Android owner to debate a Galaxy Windows 7 owner when possible.
MTT

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns