Double pricing system in Thailand

Re: Double pricing system in Thailand

Postby henryooo on Thu May 28, 2009 8:40 pm

From one farang to another, there is a very simple answer
"IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT, STAY IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY"!

I find that my aquaintances who complain, cannot afford to live a decent life in their own
country on the income that they have. Fortunately, I have found many persons who
readily admit that life is great in Thailand.
Moreover, All those who have an adequate income at home, are TOTALLY PLEASED
to pay the price in Thailand as they have double or triple the lifestyle.

It annoys me that the complainers wish to take advantage of the poor working
people (pay 5 instead of 10 baht for the bus, no tip to waitresses etc.)

Have the COMPLAINERS thought about the millions of poor Thai's who are being taken
advantage of by the many RICH Thai's? My conscience will not allow me to contribute
to this malaise.

My spirits are elevated every time that I pass out money to help a needy person.
GIVE IT A TRY .
henryooo

Postby villager on Thu May 28, 2009 9:12 pm

henryooo wrote:From one farang to another, there is a very simple answer
"IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT, STAY IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY"!

I find that my aquaintances who complain, cannot afford to live a decent life in their own
country on the income that they have. Fortunately, I have found many persons who
readily admit that life is great in Thailand.
Moreover, All those who have an adequate income at home, are TOTALLY PLEASED
to pay the price in Thailand as they have double or triple the lifestyle.

It annoys me that the complainers wish to take advantage of the poor working
people (pay 5 instead of 10 baht for the bus, no tip to waitresses etc.)

Have the COMPLAINERS thought about the millions of poor Thai's who are being taken
advantage of by the many RICH Thai's? My conscience will not allow me to contribute
to this malaise.

My spirits are elevated every time that I pass out money to help a needy person.
GIVE IT A TRY .
Hey Henry, I just wonder how the million,s of poor Thai,s would react if the rich Thai,s said that their service,s were no longer required , would they be thankful that some rich b******d was not "exploiting" them any more, or would they be resentful that some rich b******d has just put them out of their jobs?

(Edit to remove unnecessary bad language)
villager

Postby henryooo on Thu May 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Greetings Villager:

The Rich Thais want to get richer so they will keep the poor Thai's working for them.
It would be nice if the Rich would raise the wages to improve the lifestyle of the poor,
but we both know that that will not happen.

Have you noticed that the foreign ownership companies tend to pay better wages
and provide benefits to their workers???

Maybe it is time for a Saviour to appear and UNIONIZE the Thai workers??

OH, but then prices would go up and foreigners would have to pay even more!!
henryooo

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Fri May 29, 2009 1:52 am

henryooo wrote:Greetings Villager:

The Rich Thais want to get richer so they will keep the poor Thai's working for them.
It would be nice if the Rich would raise the wages to improve the lifestyle of the poor,

Regarding the unionisation bit, I agree. But I see an element of contradition regarding price increases. (I am not saying It would not be the case, just think it may not be sygnificant) The reason I say this is that you say the rich are basically taking too much of the profits and ignorring the people working for them. Therefore, the rich sould not be so greedy and increase the pay of the workers without a necessary price increase?
stilljustbrowsing

Postby villager on Fri May 29, 2009 6:00 am

stilljustbrowsing wrote:
henryooo wrote:Greetings Villager:

Regarding the unionisation bit, I agree. But I see an element of contradition regarding price increases. (I am not saying It would not be the case, just think it may not be sygnificant) The reason I say this is that you say the rich are basically taking too much of the profits and ignorring the people working for them. Therefore, the rich sould not be so greedy and increase the pay of the workers without a necessary price increase?

Hi Sjb, I just wonder how many jobs have been lost in the EU through "outsourcing" in the last 5 years, Laos and Cambodia is right on our doorstep and eager for work , as the many legal and illegal workers already in Thailand will testify , if the rich "exploiters" get too much aggro from unionised workers with big pay demands , then there is absolutely nothing stopping them from moving "sticks", just the same as many company,s have done in the west, and do not forget TIT and any union agitator who makes big problem,s for some large company could well finish up face down in a car park puddle.
villager

Postby Marrtin on Fri May 29, 2009 10:14 am

Been here 20 years, pay shedloads of taxes, have permanent residence..

But when they see your white face, that matters not a whit.

I'm used to it.

But I resent it.

National parks - waterfalls and stuff, I really resent it. The last time I was travelling with a party of Thai colleagues, to a waterfall in Koh Chang, and it was embarrassing.

Also at Ayutthaya, each temple and palace has a separate entrance fee. If you go to them all, that really adds up.

I laugh at attempts by an attraction owner to disguise theiur double pricing policy by advertising the Thai price in Thai. If we can read that, are we entitled to it? No.
Marrtin

Postby Ian on Fri May 29, 2009 11:33 am

Marrtin wrote:Been here 20 years, pay shedloads of taxes, have permanent residence..

But when they see your white face, that matters not a whit.

I'm used to it.

But I resent it.

National parks - waterfalls and stuff, I really resent it. The last time I was travelling with a party of Thai colleagues, to a waterfall in Koh Chang, and it was embarrassing.

Also at Ayutthaya, each temple and palace has a separate entrance fee. If you go to them all, that really adds up.

I laugh at attempts by an attraction owner to disguise theiur double pricing policy by advertising the Thai price in Thai. If we can read that, are we entitled to it? No.

On the few times I met this I sent a Thai friend to get the tickets, if they then spot me and demand more, my Thai friends simply demand a refund on my ticket as I will not be entering. It seems the one thing a Thai hates above all else is to return money, so after a heated exchange I am allowed in at Thai price.
Ian

Postby smhyder on Sat May 30, 2009 6:03 pm

I think, double pricing system in Thailand not only applies to zoo, museum or park, but also to healthcare, especially when you seek medical treatment in private hospitals. I studied and worked in Thailand for many years and this is my finding. The foreigners are not foolish and many of them have Thai spouses or girlfriends, so they can easily find out where double pricing systems exist. I will say that it's a robbery!
smhyder

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Sat May 30, 2009 6:10 pm

When I needed a medical certificate for my new job, I went to the local hospital near Rangsit. The doctor asked me what my work was going to be and I told him "teaching". The bill for my medical was 50bht. Good eh? (this was acceptable to the training centre as well)
stilljustbrowsing

Postby mike williams on Sun May 31, 2009 9:23 am

:twisted: Here is the simple answer and the one that I use, DON'T PAY IT, I refuse point blank to visit any park or attraction that uses double pricing and I do not buy the arguement that as Thais earn less they should pay less that is blatant communism, does it also follow that a person earning 100,000 baht a year buy's a pickup for 400,000 but someone earning 1 million a year should pay 4 million for the same pickup just to be fair' that is means testing.
I would like to see my home country UK adopt the same policy for all Thai visitors they must pay at least 5 times the going rate and that includes the Thai owners of restaurants in the UK as well to make it fair for all. :D
The minute a Thai looking person enters a UK shop they will be automatically discriminated against and the normal price will be subject to a 100% help the British poor tax after all if a Thai national can afford to have a holiday in the UK then they easily afford the extra price.
Power to the people, fight back just do not go to any place that adopts dual pricing. :cheers:
mike williams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns