Double pricing system in Thailand

Re: Double pricing system in Thailand

Postby cspat64 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:01 am

It is actually a new kind of tax called "Social Contribution Tax" applied specifically with foreigners in Thailand..oh wait a minute, it is actually for Farangs only.But with that tax, you get a privilege of having a lot of choices to choose from for Thai ladies who love to marry Farangs and have a wonderful life because they think that all Farangs are rich.
cspat64

Postby chybyk on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:18 am

The double pricing system in Thailand is deep-rooted. At Sanamluang commercial sex worker charges 500 from Thais for short time sex. For foreigners, the amount is 600 and above.
chybyk

Postby charleskirk on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:32 am

Double pricing has always been the norm and will probably always be for visiting foreigners.
Those who live in Thailand and have proof of legal residence can get the same price as Thai's and visitors who have family in Thailand can get Thai prices by having a relative purchase their ticket.
I have family who takes care of tickets for me and nowhere has my "local ticket" ever been refused nor have I been requested to pay extra.
If I am without family when I wish to see some attraction I either pay the extra, which is usually still a bargain compared to what I would pay at home, or I simply refuse to pay and find other means of entertainment.
I get tired of hearing the constant whining of those who are not smart enough or too cheap to enjoy all there is to enjoy in Thailand. They simply need to learn to enjoy life even with all it's obstacles.
Let it go and move on.
charleskirk

Postby luangtom on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:19 am

Let's toss out the reverse. Let's ask Thai travelers, be they tourists, businessmen, or students, if they pay higher prices in the USA, Canada, Australia, Euro-zone or elsewhere. Do you? Do the many Thai students studying in foreign countries pay a higher fare for attractions or venues? Afterall, you are MUCH more apt to be richer than your counterparts studying at their home univesities. You have the funds to get to the USA or elsewhere, you certainly must have the extra funds to pay for the amusement venues or admission to events at a higher rate.

Let's also extend this question to the market-places. I went to the local open-air market with my niece. She purchased a portion of "khai moht daeng", red-ant eggs, for 20-baht. I asked for the same amount and was asked to pay 150-baht. I inquired as to why. "Farang rich, have much money.", was the response from the vendor. I declined the purchase and walked over to another vendor and handed her the 20-baht I should have been paying and walked away purchasing nothing. Needless to say, it greatly upset the original vendor and she demanded the money from the second. I laughed all the way to my next destination.
luangtom

Postby suriya on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:09 am

I somewhat understand the double pricing system in theory, foreigners do indeed have more money than the average Thai. However why is it that the backpacker from Australia surviving on $20-30 a day in Thailand has to pay double the average Thai rate yet a wealthy Thai who drives a Porsche and lives in a 60 million baht house pays the same rate as the Thai's who are campaigning for the 300 baht per day wages?

Once again it just seems like a case of making foreigners all seem like millionaires from a far off land while completely ignoring the elephant in the room, the growing number of middle class and upper class Thai's with incomes and assets which make most foreign visitors to Thailand seem like peasants by comparison.
suriya

Postby cisco on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:15 am

DocN wrote:
Mr. Surin Province wrote:
DocN wrote:I never understood it...but I never really cared!
I think martinus made a good point here (paying taxes) ...but on the other hand "being kept in good shape with tax money"...I don't want to discuss the "good shape "- part really!

Why does this not surprise me that you don't "understand"...........???

Is there any problem you and me have personally?
Or do you have to say something constructive?

Very good reply
cisco

Postby mrsdonesh on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 am

Just back from Nan. Went to the museum. In Thai language it said “entry fee 20 baht for Thai citizen. In English language it said " entry fee for foreigner 100 Baht". I asked the ticket person why 100 baht for non-Thai. Her response was Thai 20 baht, farang 100 baht. They know its wrong because they hide it in written in Thai. Oh I never went in and spent about 30 minutes telling other visiting tourists that it will cost them 5 times the price to enter. The majority walked away.
mrsdonesh

Postby fortuner on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:40 am

suriya wrote:I somewhat understand the double pricing system in theory, foreigners do indeed have more money than the average Thai. However why is it that the backpacker from Australia surviving on $20-30 a day in Thailand has to pay double the average Thai rate yet a wealthy Thai who drives a Porsche and lives in a 60 million baht house pays the same rate as the Thai's who are campaigning for the 300 baht per day wages?

Once again it just seems like a case of making foreigners all seem like millionaires from a far off land while completely ignoring the elephant in the room, the growing number of middle class and upper class Thai's with incomes and assets which make most foreign visitors to Thailand seem like peasants by comparison.

I completely agree with you... I think it's absolutely disgusting that they are tarring all foreigners with the same brush while ignoring the fact that wealthy Thais are able to make use of the cheaper prices while westerners with little income are all treated like they are wealthy. I think it's about time the Thai government put a stop to this ridiculously unfair set up. :evil:
fortuner

Postby Eggmeng on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:49 am

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned here.

Why is the Durex 49 millimeter size condom in the convenience store priced at 45 baht for a pack of three, while the 52.5 millimeter size is 75 baht for three? While that's not double pricing it's pretty close.

Is there really that much more latex in the "Western" size?
Eggmeng

Postby Sci-nerd on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 am

Dual pricing is bad.

Wether it based on a local/tourist or rich/poor or black/white rationale, it is bad and it can only account to either racism or greed.

Trying to explain why dual pricing exist, using terms like "locals pay tax", or "rich can afford it" or "dark colored people are not welcome" is all just ignorant talk and worst case propaganda for legalized racism or greed.

Why is it bad?
Because it makes people angry, polarized and suspicious. And THAT my dear friends, is bad for business!

..and bad business has no future.
Sci-nerd

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns