Why do ONLY foreigners get special promotion?

Why do ONLY foreigners get special promotion?

Postby VP on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:13 pm

The advertising board on the way to Airport is shown "Foreigner Zone.. Buying house (somewhere around Bangkok..) Foreigner, with Special Price!!"

I know the property company may want to attract foreigners to invest in property in Thailand. But, what about Thais who also want to own the property in their own country but have to pay higher price than non-resident?
VP

RE: Why do ONLY foreigners get special promotion?

Postby robin on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:56 am

VP,
Believe everything you read?
robin

Postby Hans Marheim on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:02 am

Hi VP

As far as I have learned in this very forum “special price for foreigners” really means double prize?!

Best regards,
Hans
Hans Marheim

RE: RE: Why do ONLY foreigners get special promotion?

Postby Aussie John on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:11 am

And no true rights of self determination.
Aussie John

Postby a watcher on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:31 am

I visited a local barber. The rates are in Thai language saying 150 baht but in English 200 baht.
I paid 150 baht, the barber pointed 200 baht.
I said in Thai "I am a Thai". Barber smiled away. This is the special zone for a special price. I am sure you will be treated in such 'special treat' when if you buy a house indeed.
a watcher

Postby Robert on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:01 pm

VP

This is said respectfully with no bad intention.. This may be you first, or one of your first trips to Thailand.. As you stay longer you will see that there is a lot of special treatment towards foreigners. Not only is the foreigner treated "special" in the purchasing of land you will also find the laws are "special", the police will treat you "special", you will even get "special" service in the restaurants. "Special" prices are common. If there is a dispute between you and a Thai rest assured you will get "special" treatment. In fact most everything in Thailand you will be treated "special".

But, my friend, please beware... Treatment, in the above cases, most likely is not good...but it is special.
Robert

Postby colin howard on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:36 pm

hi a watcher , wecome back i,ve missed you , up here a hair cut costs 30 baht for a farang , 20 baht for a thai , can,t understand the big difference in price, regards , colin .
colin howard

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:44 pm

I've never been completely sure about why exactly this "special" treatment exists.
I''ve never found it in Indonesia - for example - where I used to travel a lot.
Nor in Malaysia. Nor Singapore. Nor in Cambodia, Laos.
I can only compare it to Japanese racism - but Thais have always seemed far less rampantly racist that what one finds in Japan.
Ian

Postby robin on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:43 pm

Colin,
Maybe we have bigger heads?
robin

Postby colin howard on Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:38 am

hi watcher , nice to see you,ve kept your sense of humour , keep it up , regards , colin .
colin howard

Next

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns