How Chinese own a house in Phuket?

How Chinese own a house in Phuket?

Postby carylam on Sun May 09, 2010 4:11 pm

I was worked in Phuket for 11 yrs and was bought a house 2yrs ago (but still need to make an installment for bank on each month, for 30 yrs)which under my friend's name.
Does anyone know that how can i change the house under my name? Am I need to get the thai citizen or how?
If yes, can i get a thai citizen card without marry with Thais?
carylam

Re: How Chinese own a house in Phuket?

Postby sundayjam on Tue May 11, 2010 3:07 am

A foreigner can not own a house in Thailand. You can however enjoy property rights by leasing the property from a Thai national. Have your lawyer draw up a long term lease. Your friend will have to agree to sign it though. Good luck to you.
sundayjam

Postby grass-seed on Tue May 11, 2010 2:33 pm

You can definitely TRY to become a Thai citizen or Thai national. Go along to your nearest immigration and ask for the details on how to become a Thai national. If you can't speak Thai you have no chance. Your Thai speaking and writing ability have to be up to about Grade 6 standard. You have to revoke your previous nationality. It will take about 4 years to get accepted or not.

Do you think it is worth it just to buy a house? I think not.

I am a Thai Permanent resident and being a Kiwi that is good enough for me. No more visas, no more reporting in every 90 days, no more work permits because I work for myself.
grass-seed

Postby carylam on Thu May 13, 2010 1:15 am

Sorry....what "Kiwi" you mean? Thanks for the information. Actually i bought a house 3yrs ago with my friend's name. I try to find the way to change to my name or someone who can trust. That's the problem, right?
carylam

Postby sundayjam on Sat May 15, 2010 6:49 am

carylam wrote:Sorry....what "Kiwi" you mean? Thanks for the information. Actually i bought a house 3yrs ago with my friend's name. I try to find the way to change to my name or someone who can trust. That's the problem, right?

A Kiwi is slang for someone from New Zealand.

You must have the house in the name of someone you can trust. The only legal binder would be a lease agreement where the owner in name rents the property to you, the silent owner.

Good luck to you.
sundayjam

Postby banmebkk on Tue May 03, 2011 5:06 pm

The quickest way is to set up a Thai company and buy the house under the company name, but you will need at least 51% of the company to be owned by Thai. Most people use their friends name or someone trust worthy.

If you want to obtain citizenship, you will need to leave here at least 5 years, have stable income and show that you payed taxes. You will need to minimum criteria in order to obtain citizenship, X amount of salary. They won't let a poor man obtain citizenship. You should be able to speak Thai, reading and writing is not required as I have seen many foreigners who obtain citizenship without any knowledge of Thai text.
banmebkk

Return to Visa / work permit / resident / citizenship / dual passport - what's required