getting dual citizenship

Re: getting dual citizenship

Postby GI-Joe777 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi,

Anyone who has done this in Norway?

I am getting stonewalled. They will not give me an answer to why I can not renew my Thai passport.

I was adopted from Thailand 34 years ago, and have tried to get in contact with my Thai Embassy for many many years, without any luck. I came in contact with them early this year, but they said only that they did not have the time to process my request and that the answer was no. No explanation to why they said no.
GI-Joe777

Postby drake on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:08 am

GI-Joe777 wrote:Hi,

Anyone who has done this in Norway?

I am getting stonewalled. They will not give me an answer to why I can not renew my Thai passport.

I was adopted from Thailand 34 years ago, and have tried to get in contact with my Thai Embassy for many many years, without any luck. I came in contact with them early this year, but they said only that they did not have the time to process my request and that the answer was no. No explanation to why they said no.

Typical Bureaucrats.

If your Thai passport is not expired then there should have been no technical reason for them to deny a renewal.
If it is expired, specially if it had been for a long while, renewal can be complicated.

Thailand had switched to a smart card National ID system a few years ago and the passport is tied to that card.
If you don't have the card, they can't give you you a new passport.
In order to get the card you need to establish your legal credential.
An unexpired passport or
minimally: Birth Certificate, other Photo IDs bearing your name, the adoption papers, affidavit of your ID by other Thai relatives (usually 2).
Getting old records can be a real PITA as they had never transfered them in to electronics form and you had to go to
the original municipal district office and pull a physical copy (and hopes the termites or fire didn't get to them first).
The requirements and forms can varies from one municipal office to another.
In BKK, this can take as little as an hour to do if you've got all the papers and people in order, or months if not.
Then you take the ID card to the local passport office.
Processing can take as little as a half an hour and you can pick up the new passport in 3 days.

Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what the procedure is in Norway.
Perhaps you might want to ask them first how to get the National ID.

Bottom line is, if you were born in the Kingdom or if ONE of your parent is/was a Thai then you are one.

Here's a good summary on the topic of Thai Nationality
http://www.thaivisa.com/301.0.html

Good luck.
drake

Postby khunying on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:18 pm

patrickoniam wrote:IM NOT SURE WHAT THE RULES OR REGULATIONS ARE FOR SOME COUNTRIES BUT IM THAI LIVING IN AUSTRALIA AND I HOLD DUAL CITIZENSHIP. I HAVE A THAI PASSPORT AND AN AUSTRALIAN PASSPORT. HAVING READ SOME OF THE POSTINGS ON HERE IT SEEMS THAT ANY COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES DO ALLOW DUAL CITIZENSHIP, AND COUNTRIES LIKE AMERICA DO NOT ALLOW IT. WHICH IS SAD.
IT WAS QUITE EASY FOR ME TO OBTAIN MY THAI PASSPORT, I DIDNT EVEN HAVE MY THAI ID OR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
I JUST TURNED UP AT THE THAI CONSULATE IN SYDNEY WITH A VERY VERY OLD THAI PASSPORT THAT I HAD WHEN I MOVED TO AUSTRALIA. AND THAT WAS PRETTY MUCH ALL I NEEDED. I THINK, DEPENDING ON YOUR COUNTRY'S RULES, YOU JUST NEED TO GO TO THE THAI CONSULATE AND THEY WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED FROM THERE

Hi,

I am seeking an answer for my son re: Thai Army Draft. I am Thai living in Australia and I am also lucky enough to obtains 2 passports and holding a duel Citizenship (Thai/Australian). I have a son with an Australian and he is now 2 years old. I have proposed to his dad that I should obtain a Thai Passport for him so that he can travel freely to Thailand but his dad disgreed as he doesn't want my son to be called for a Thai Army Draft in the future.

I think it is better for my son to have 2 passport as I saw it first hand of how difficult it was to not have a Thai Passport for him. On our last trip to Thailand he felt sick and needed hospitalise. He was treated as foreingner as we he has no Thai paper eventhough I was right by his side. It was very frustrating for me.

Could anybody please advise of from your experience what would you do if your son is call for Army Draft in Thailand. I know this is a long way off for my son but I would like to have everything plan for him incase I am not around by then. Thank you in advance.
khunying

Postby drake on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:11 am

khunying wrote: Could anybody please advise of from your experience what would you do if your son is call for Army Draft in Thailand. I know this is a long way off for my son but I would like to have everything plan for him incase I am not around by then. Thank you in advance.

Current practice is to get a deferral.

Don't wait until he get a letter from the draft board.
When he reaches draft age file a 'deferment' stating that he's living overseas and can't participate in the draft, so sorry.
Keep filing this deferment as necessary.
After a while he will be too old and delegated to 'reserve' status.
Eventually he will be just too old and fell off the registry.
Meanwhile, he can visit Thailand as a Thai and stay as long as he like and, god forbid, even own land !

Though it's been like this for decades there is no promise that the laws won't change in the future.

Good luck.
drake

Previous

Return to Visa / work permit / resident / citizenship / dual passport - what's required