Global icare company

Global icare company

Postby joecaliber on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:53 pm

I want to warn foreigners who wish to work in Thailand "GET A WORK PERMIT". Let me tell you what happened to me when i was recruited by Global icare.They hired me as marketing executive for their new product the Gic Gold designed for Pattaya tourists who can avail the many discount coupon inside the booklet. I was suppose to look for outlets, distributors and agents to sell this product. Naturally being new in Pattaya, i scouted or familiarized myself with the city. I started working beginning of July talking with merchants while getting myself familiar with Pattaya. Comes end of the month, i didn't receive my salary, why?They reasoned i was not doing my job and just roaming around Pattaya . They got my weekly reports and still they insist i was not doing my job. It came to a point i threatened to sue them and viola i got my salary August 9. Now its the end of August and they advised my Operation Manager that I resigned from work 1st week of August so i am not getting any salary. I never submitted any resignation at all. Now its time to pay the bill and i do not have anything. I consulted a lawyer but she said there's nothing we can do because i do not have a work permit and contract. Work permit and contract was promised to me at the end of my provisional period so i was confident and think of nothing will happen with my employment. So beware my fellow foreigners always get those permit and contract. By the way I found out this is not the 1st time they did this. It happened when they 1st started operation in Pattaya however those employees before were Thais and got their 4 months overdue salaries when they went to the Labor Office. That's all, lesson learned the hard way.
joecaliber

Re: Global icare company

Postby critical on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:15 pm

joecaliber, you're very lucky that you got the 1st month salary. They were legally not required to do that and even if you tried to sue them earlier no lawyer will advise you that you would win. Because this is a clear cut case. If worse comes to worse they will say you were freelance and were hired on commission. They probably paid you for the first month to save face in the market and have a document to prove they paid you a sum.

Atleast now you know what to do for your future endeavors. Best of luck mate :)
critical

Postby joecaliber on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks critical, I approached my embassy and was told to send any papers or documents related to my work. Its in their hands now, hopefully I can blacklist them from the business community. That's not the way to run a company because a normal company will nurture their employees and in return employees gives 100% performance. Hope their partners read this and starts asking questions. Amen
joecaliber

Postby critical on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:29 pm

I don't think there is much the embassy can do in this regards. One works in Thailand under the laws of Thailand. You must have been aware that working without a work permit is illegal too and yet you went ahead with it. Yes, you can argue that you were promised one after the probation period, but still the law of not working without a work permit is illegal, stands. Infact, last I checked the penalty for such a case is more severe for the person working without a work permit than the company.

If your embassy however is able to help you in this matter please let everyone here know, just incase someone else also faces the same sort of problem. :cheers:
critical

Postby dutchboy on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:51 am

Actually, work permit alone is not enough.

You also have to have the accompanying Visa.

First you have to get a signed contract from the company you work for.
With that and supporting papers from the company, showing their financial status, ratio foreign/local workers etc. you go to the Thai embassy in your country and get a "working visa".

Then you can enter Thailand, join your employer and within 1 month, with the help of a company representative (much easier) get a Work Permit from the Labour department.
dutchboy

Postby hawaiiman on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:08 pm

Dutchboy. Great information, and accurate. One addition is that one can get a work permit inside Kingdom, if one had the marriage extension to "O" visa. If you go the other way (type "B"), and you lose job, you have to exit and start again. If you have marriage extension first, then you don't have to leave if job ends. there have been cases of employers sort of blackmailing employees by holding work permit over their heads.
hawaiiman

Return to Visa / work permit / resident / citizenship / dual passport - what's required