Rude immigration staff

Re: Rude immigration staff

Postby Happy Expat on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:03 am

Dear Chief Selth,
You must have a very limited travelling experience. If you had as much as mine you would by now have come to
the realisation that ALL immigration staff, wherever they are, are rude. By comparison however I can say that Thai
immigration staff do not normally fit into this category. I have found them to be the opposite of what you describe.
If you want to experience REAL rudeness try going to any of the following countries:-
Australia (Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane), USA (Hawaii or Anchorage take the cake), Russia (Moscow or Vladivostok),
China (any point of entry), India, but the one that really takes the cake is Dubai. Been there for the first and last time.
Generally the reason is, in my opinion, that these people are drawn from a low level of education and invested with far
more authority than they can handle. Add to that the people they deal with inbound are likely to be stressed out after a long flight and are oversensitive to the behaviour directed at them. A mixture guaranteed to create unpleasantness. My advice
is don't try to be "nice". Remain stoic, do not try to promote "pleasant" conversation, hand over your passport,remain silent
and get on with it.
Happy Expat
Happy Expat

Re: Rude immigration staff

Postby Baster_Hobnail on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Thai airport immigration staff barely care enough to look at you. Their emotions seem to range between cold indiffernce andf blatent contempt for tourists. It may be a dull job, but that is no excuse.

As others have said, hand over your passport, stand still, do not lean on his desk and say thankyou at the end and nothing more. At the end of the day, as you enjoy your holiday, the ticked off looking immigration staff will not enter your mind.
Baster_Hobnail

Previous

Return to Thai airports, trains, buses, public transport