Suvarnabhumi hates "Dang Dao".

Suvarnabhumi hates "Dang Dao".

Postby da_gateman on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:18 pm

On the way to HCMC today, and officer at Suvarnabhumi claimed that I slammed my documents in his face, which is why he kept cursing at me. He taunted me by refusing to stamp my passport, and was picking on every small detail. I was standing on the yellow square and where the black footprint was, and he still told me to move back. Worst of all, he said in Thai "I am an officer; you just die if you tell you to die". I was then told to "f*** off" to another line. I know slamming my document was an excuse, because he especially noticed that I was "dang dao". Despite all this tyranny, there are reasons why I am hesitant to file a complaint: 1. no concrete proof, 2. I said the f-word silently after his famous quote. This, I know, was stupid, and would discredit my claim.

This is not a plea for help, but a warning to all foreigners living in Thailand as "dang dao". I have met these sort of bigoted officers twice already at Suvarnabhumi, and cannot stand to see other being victims of rankism. An advise would be to avoid what I did when facing injustice. Also, if any of you had your share at Suvarnabhumi, do not hesistate to share your story.
da_gateman

Re: Suvarnabhumi hates "Dang Dao".

Postby roego1 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:36 am

You do not mean to say tht you found a rare, rude, ignorant,disrespectful, grumpy immigration person.
One of thereasons I know longer come to Thailand,
roego1

Postby naiharn on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:34 pm

da_gateman wrote: he especially noticed that I was "dang dao".

This is not a plea for help, but a warning to all foreigners living in Thailand as "dang dao".

Sorry from my ignorance, but what is (a) "dang dao"?
naiharn

Postby da_gateman on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:38 pm

To naiharn,

"dang dao" means foreigner living in Thailand as permanent resident. Hope it helps.

Sorry from my ignorance, but what is (a) "dang dao"?

No worries. Should've made it clearer in the first place.
da_gateman

Postby clubsiam@yahoo.com on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:23 am

I landed at Thailands International Airport was was treated very badly by the immigration official. I made a small mistake on my entry card and the guy was outraged.
I kept my cool even though this rude person treated me in a most disrespectful manner. I felt he was egging me on to start a fight..
I had just been to the Thai Consulate in Laos and was also treated in a disrespectful manner by a staff member there too.
Land of Smiles?
Don't think so.
Just for the record, I am not a drunk or slob. I always am polite and well mannered.
The treatment by Thai Officials is shocking.
clubsiam@yahoo.com

Postby gipchimsa on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 pm

clubsiam@yahoo.com wrote:I landed at Thailands International Airport was was treated very badly by the immigration official. I made a small mistake on my entry card and the guy was outraged.
I kept my cool even though this rude person treated me in a most disrespectful manner. I felt he was egging me on to start a fight..
I had just been to the Thai Consulate in Laos and was also treated in a disrespectful manner by a staff member there too.
Land of Smiles?
Don't think so.
Just for the record, I am not a drunk or slob. I always am polite and well mannered.

I do not think that immigration officials anywhere are particularly gracious, except to their own countrymen.

I have heard similar stories from foreign friends about Heathrow (London) officials, and as for some of those Aussies. I had a bit of a ding entering at Sydney once. No reason, he was probably having a bad day.

I have never encountered trouble coming into LOS, but agree thay are a cheerless lot. It certainly pays to be nicely dressed, casual or not, and also to emit an air of subservience. Say as little as possible, preferably nothing at all. Just look pre-occupied. Say "thank you." Leave hastily.

It is not a fun job, and the Thai officials have the excuse that they get more than their fair share of idiots with attitude and problems. I have noticed this.

Also, the Thai immigration system, with all those different visas and rules and stamps, would seem to be a little bit more complicated than many. This adds to their problems I should imagine. Maybe they get longer shifts? There are alsways a lot of queues.

One factor that these officials universally fail to take into account ,when dealing with any small discrepancy, is that flying is stressful. Many of the people they deal with are from long haul flights and have been on the move for often more than twenty hours, (to airport, wait in airport, flight, disembark.) These people have a lot to think about (eg. baggage, on-going, reservations, currency, new environment) and are tired, stressed and jet-lagged. I myself assume a zombie like state after 22 hours of travelling.

Maybe they should give immigration officials a free long haul round trip once a year.
gipchimsa

Postby gipchimsa on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:13 pm

clubsiam@yahoo.com wrote:I landed at Thailands International Airport was was treated very badly by the immigration official. I made a small mistake on my entry card and the guy was outraged.
Land of Smiles?
Don't think so.

Sometimes
gipchimsa

Postby gipchimsa on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Officials in Immigration offices (in Bkk.) are usually extremely helpful.

Maybe they have a more relaxed existence.

Thais love a cushy life, above all else.
gipchimsa

Postby Calicojack on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Hmm, Throwing in my two cents here just for the sake of counterweight. I slid through the visa and passport control at the airport like a salmon, finding only helpful politeness from all the officers involved. So far I have not met a rude official in any situation yet. Perhaps I am lucky, or looking so blissfully ignorant and innocent that they all take heart? I should perhaps add that I'm here as a tourist and not a Dang Dao.
Calicojack

Postby Nysse on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:27 pm

I agree with Calico: A hearty Sawadee Khaa and a big smile - never any problems. I'm also a tourist, though I travel around a lot because of my job as a travel agent. ALWAYS try to seem a bit simple with officials, smile a lot and nod...
Nysse

Next

Return to Thai airports, trains, buses, public transport