Bangkok cabs rank 5th in world!

Bangkok cabs rank 5th in world!

Postby terry on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:30 pm

:roll:

Well toot my horn!! Bangkok taxis rank among the top five in the world according to an annual taxi poll?

Bangkok scored 14% in votes on several categories by travellers, ranking fifth in the survey conducted by travel website hotels.com. The website scored city-based taxis on their levels of cleanliness, value, quality of driving, knowledge of the area, friendliness, safety and availability.

There are about 80,000 registered taxis and some 7,500 three-wheel tuk tuks operating in Bangkok.

London taxis, with their friendly drivers who actually know where they are going, are ranked the best in the world.

The survey found that London taxis, despite being the most expensive, beat their rivals across the globe to head the list for the third consecutive year, scoring a total of 59%.
London taxi drivers were voted both the friendliest and most knowledgeable. Cabbies there must pass a rigorous examination called ``The Knowledge'' to earn their taxi licence.

New York's yellow taxis came second, scoring 27%, which was up 10 percentage points from last year even though Manhattan's cab drivers tied with Parisian ones as being the rudest. Travellers said New York had the most taxis available.

Cabbies in Rome were voted the worst drivers in the world with almost one in 10 travellers thinking that the Italian capital had the world's worst taxi drivers when it came to the quality of their driving.

``Travelling by taxi is one of the first experiences that many travellers have upon arrival in a new city.

``In fact, the research found that cabs are by far the most popular method of travelling from the airport to their hotel,'' a spokesman for hotels.com said in a statement.
Rounding out the top five in the survey were Tokyo with a total score of 26% and finally Berlin with 17%.

Madrid's taxis were ranked sixth in the poll, followed by Copenhagen and Dublin with 11% and Frankfurt and Paris with 10%.

Taxis in Sydney fell short of the top 10, scoring badly in value for money, availability and knowledge of the area.

The survey for hotels.com, part of the Expedia group, was conducted among more than 1,900 travellers between May 11-28 this year. Reuters
terry

Re: Bangkok cabs rank 5th in world!

Postby modsquad on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:12 am

From a reader:

‘I agree, some Bangkok cabs are rank. You have a 1-in-20 chance of getting a taxi here that is clean, the driver knows where he is going and the drive there does not give you whiplash from the brake-accelerator pedal manoeuvre that the driver constantly practises at your expense.

There are good taxi drivers here in the City of Angels. You will find them after you screen out the ones that do not know where they are going, are talking on the phone and ignore your pleas to slow down, are listening to Radio Isan at maximum volume, are under the influence of a mind altering substance, are practising for a career as a Grand Prix driver or are just lost in space.

Those remaining are like a cool breeze on a hot day - enjoy it while the ride lasts.

After talking with my friends, we placed Bangkok's taxis below London and Singapore and above those in Dubai and Riyadh.’
modsquad

Postby krystalchua on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:15 am

Beware of Violent taxi Driver in Bangkok - Pink Taxi
I had a very bad experience with a taxi driver in Bangkok. We came from Siam Paragon and was having a hard time finding a taxi that would use the meter, so we agreed to the flat rate of 150 baht that the driver charged us with.
The taxi driver was irritable from the heavy traffic, and was driving very fast when he got the chance. Upon arriving at our hotel, he did not see the first door (probably because of his speed) where the hotel lobby was. Instead, he went straight ahead to the next wing where there was no bridge to the main lobby. My brother who was sitting beside him called his attention (nicely) and told him that we were supposed to get off at the first door. It was roughly only 20 to 30 steps away from where he stopped, and he was also going to pass it on his way out of the hotel premises. It was raining so we thought we would just get off at the lobby for us not to get wet. He angrily shouted "200 baht! 200 baht!" and stepped on the gas so hard to make a U turn. Startled with his outburst, I sternly told the driver that we would just get off right there, and that he should not treat tourists so rudely. My brother, after being shouted at, slammed the car door as he got off. The taxi driver did not stop there. He too, got off the car, and opened the trunk. He took his tire wrench and was supposed to attack my brother with it! The hotel guards stopped him just in time and asked him to leave. While driving out the hotel premises, he left a threat to us that he will be watching us and waiting for us outside. I was able to get the taxi's plate number from the guard. It is a hot pink taxi and the plate numbers looks something like "NS4521" (the NS was written with curves? I attached it a copy of the paper that the guard gave me with this email).
During our stay in Bangkok, and we rode taxis around four times. The first time was from the airport where we were charged 500 bhat. We had no problem with that since the driver just went about his business and was professional. It was a blue taxi. The second, third, and fourth time were all pink taxis, wherein not once had it been a good experience for us. For the second taxi that we rode, the driver told us that the mall we wanted to go to had closed early, and that it would be better to just have dinner somewhere near the night markets. He then suggested a "cheap and good" seafood restaurant, so we agreed. When we arrived, we noticed that the prices were ridiculously high, and later on, upon reading the same stories on the web, realized that we were scammed.
The same thing was offered to us by the next taxi driver (also of a pink taxi). Since we already knew better, we declined his offer and just made up an excuse.
Now, the last taxi that we rode had the rudest and meanest taxi driver that I had ever encountered in my entire life! These 3 encounters all from pink taxis had made me wonder if this is a common practice among them.
I really lost all the excitement I had for Thailand after the incident. Shouldn't they be doing something about these taxi drivers if they really want to promote tourism in their country?
I believe my Bangkok stay has by far been the worst vacation I have ever had. I have never been scammed and treated so rudely so many times in a row! My vacation has turned out to be very frustrating, disappointing, and infuriating,
If you have friends or relatives who are going to Bangkok, please warn them about this particular taxi driver. Also, please ask them to read about the different scams that some locals trick the clueless tourists into. Please pass this email to your friends and family. It is best to be prepared and aware, so as to avoid these kinds of experiences. Thailand sure has plenty of things to offer, but if this comes with visiting their country, I think I would rather not return unless needed, and would not recommend friends and family to visit too.
krystalchua

Postby modsquad on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:48 am

from a reader:

I'm from New York and have been living here in Bangkok for six years. I take the taxi everywhere and never once in these six years have I come across a dirty taxi, a driver who wasn't pleasant and accommodating and one who didn't know where he was going when given directions (in his language) or a map.

Yes, we all know London taxis are the best and New York among the worst, but please stop complaining and doing your own taxi ratings, Mr Reynolds, it's a bit much.

Happy Passenger
modsquad

Postby charliechang33 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:35 am

From a passenger point of view, Bangkok Taxi drivers are crooked, they tend and mostly likely will
take longer route to make extra bucks on the meters. Billing honesty and driving style are poor, if not the worst.

From a motorist point of view, I have had few incidence with flat tires and dead battery,
taxi drivers, being a Thai, were very kind to lend an helping hands to save me from helpless roadside disasters.
Thumb up for their kind hearts and generosity.
charliechang33

Postby Baster_Hobnail on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:42 pm

What is the Thai phrase for "Please stay in one lane!"?
Baster_Hobnail

Return to Thai airports, trains, buses, public transport