Is Farang an f word?

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby Hanuman on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:20 am

Jason McDonald wrote:Hi Hanuman,

I can't figure out if you are Thai or Farang that has had the operation?

But in any case I don't think you really understand what some of the people who don't like the term FARANG are talking about.
I admit that the word used to make me angry but not any more However some people find this word very very offensive. So if Thais continue to use it it will offend people. So why would they continue to use the word given that it offends people? Thai people are Jai Yen Yen and don't want to provoke; so why use?? Education my dear chap! That is what is missing here. If Thai people knew how much the word offended people they wouldn't use it. At least not in the derogatory sense that it is used by Thais.

The rest of your argument is not cosistent.

If I were to tap one of my lady emplyees on the bottom and then say I was just being friendly, no sexual intent was mean; I might get away with it once but if I did it 50 times I would be taken to court for sexual harassment. The use of the FARANG word is exactly the same. Say it once OK but say it all the time racist or xenophobic.

(edit) Some people find Farang offensive. That's the bottom line; people find it offensive. If you are a decent person you don't say these words because they offend.
I can only conclude that if Thais continue to say Farang when it obviously offends people then they are NOT decent people.

Enough said on this topic!
Jason


WOW !!
comparing the perceived insult of using the word farang with the harrasment of groping women... nice one ! Next you'll tell me that you feel groped when someone uses the word farang. 5555

60+ million people use a word which is harmless and has no negative connotation, then suddenly SOME of the farang come to THAI-land - NOT FARANG-land, and those farang can't stand using hearing that word 50 times, so at the whim of this part of the farang, all other farang and 60+ million people should change their vocabulary. Talking about neo-colonialism at it's finest.
The whole problem is, that BY YOUR OWN admission, I quote "Some farang find farang offensive"

But if WE would find it offensive that people like you accuse millions of Thai and a good part of the farang of being racist, would you then also stop whining about "farang word being offensive", because this direct and indirect accusation of racism offends us ?

And if a few fools would start feeling offended because we have to use... well, I have no idea what you would use instead of farang, but let's say "pale foreigner", then all the 60+ million people will have to change words again ?

You come to another country, and you IMAGINE some offence which isn't there, and then instead of you admitting that you understand it wrongly, all native speakers and the majority of farangs should invent a new word, just because your sweet soft baby skin can't handle normal daily used words ?

Jason McDonald wrote:I can only conclude that if Thais continue to say Farang when it obviously offends people then they are NOT decent people


they are decent people, because they just allow you the foolishness to let you be offended and whine about it. If it were up to me and someone would whine 16 years about some word in my language that he can't even speak properly, I wouldn't be so decent - to describe it nicely.

My girlfriend has at her 39 yrs of age has never ever ever quareled with anyone in her life and is completely uncapable of using rude or insulting words : has never ever ever used any such words in her life. Period. When talking to me she still uses the words kha ค่ะ or thaan ทาน etc... because she can't be anything else but being nicely polite.
So you tell me that SHE has to change her frequent use of the word farang because YOU are a paranoid delusional nutcase refusing to accept the meaning of some words in a foreign language ?
It's one thing not to like something, it's another to demand a foreign nation to change their language because you just happen to imagine something.

I can only be happy that Thailand is so strict about their laws re farang, and wouldn't even mind being tougher even. That would minimalize the chances that I bump into long toed whimpy farang like you who want to mess up Thailand with their pet peeves like they did and are doing with their silly PC back in Europe
User avatar
Hanuman
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby taysahai on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:12 am

I already had my say on this, no need to re-hash my opinion.. well maybe just a little. Like a previous poster just mentioned no other word in english or thai is as convenient and descriptive as the word Falang. Westerner comes close in convenience, but I don't really see any reason to substitute that Old Fashioned book term unless in regards to the argument of the Guava Fruit. Which I will have a new say about..

About Falang-Ki-Nok..

Many people including Thai are ignorant about how many types of guava fruit exist on this earth. I truly don't know how many exist also. But Specifically in the Thai point of view their are two types. The green skin/seedless/odd shape Guava, a highly prized variety, and then their are all others which are full of small seeds. I am not sure how many varieties of the seedy type exist in Thailand. But I do know that the small red seedy "cattley" guava is in Thailand. I have also tasted the yellow, green, and tiny blue varieties. The blue is even better than the prized green of Thailand in my opinion, and is very common at high elevations with alot of drainage.

Back to the point, . Thai language is so different because in english we would surely invent a better common name, but Thai people are happy to just accept it as a term, and let Ki-nok mean bird poop and Falang-Ki-nok mean Seedy Guava.
User avatar
taysahai
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby souththailand on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:08 pm

Jason McDonald wrote: Some people find Farang offensive. That's the bottom line; people find it offensive. If you are a decent person you don't say these words because they offend.
I can only conclude that if Thais continue to say Farang when it obviously offends people then they are NOT decent people.

Enough said on this topic!
Jason

That's indeed the bottom line. But what do you do when some people (60+ millioms lol) don't even realize it's offensive. Some foreigners aren't even insulted by it. They love to call themselves farang. I guess it comes down to being considerate and you could call thais a lot of things but surely not considerate. Although I have no doubt some will say thais are the most considerate people they know even those very fluent in thai language (our monkey god springs to mind).
But, should we really say something like that? Remember this is the country where the one who complains about a guy blasting loud music (and spoiling the 'quietness' for dozens) is the offender. Oh well, you're right, they are 'considerate' of others feelings. Or maybe they're just affraid to get beaten up or shot because this would be enormous loss of face.

I'm getting a bit annoyed with the 'if you don't like it here, pack your bags', 'we are all guests here' comments. I believe it's the same people who find nothing wrong in dual-pricing and aren't offended when they pay a lot more than 'our hosts'. Just lay down and let them step over you. They'll respect you for that. Really, they'll even give you a smile.
User avatar
souththailand
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby Hanuman on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:02 pm

souththailand wrote:That's indeed the bottom line. But what do you do when some people (60+ millioms lol) don't even realize it's offensive. Some foreigners aren't even insulted by it.


The point is, that if 60+ million people say it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck and they call it a duck and it IS a duck and in THEIR language it means a duck, than it is ridiculous for some people who can't speak the language properly to come and say : your language is wrong, it's called... chicken.

If those 60+ million people would take a racist word from English and use THAT to describe farang, then yes it would be offensive without those 60+ million Thai knowing it. It even says a LOT about the whiners about their whining that they don't whine about a REAL offensive-racist word borrowed from English but keep on going about farang which is a non racist THAI word

I don't doubt that you are offended by the word "farang", but I fail to see how you all could twist your logic more than a snake's body to come up with this. It is a THAI word, therefore 60+ million Thais can not understand it wrong, but non-Thai speakers can understand it wrong.

You make the word farang offensive to yourself, not because the word has any offensive meaning, but because you just decided so, no more than that. Just like I would take offence for a random word in your language, and then you all have to change your language because I want you so, and because YOU are too stupid to understand your own language.

To put it simply : if you would go to school and have to translate words and give their meanings and you say "farang" is a word used as an insult for westerners, then your answer would be wrong on the examination.

It's like you would say on your examination that the word สาว means prostitute... No matter what you have been taught or 60+ million Thais say, it means prostitute to you, and they should use another word just because... you decided so. And you feel offended by it, without any logic you decided so. Those 60+million people can't speak Thai, how would they know that สาว is not an offence, they're wrong !!

And it doesn't even matter if Thai would be racist as a nation or xenophobic or violent or nice or whatever, it's about that word, farang. The discussion is not about double pricing or national traits, it's about this word and this word only.
User avatar
Hanuman
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby MTT on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:48 pm

Not sure where this belongs: but we don't need another topic with the same stuff. So I am moving it here.

Re: Is Farang an f word?

New postby Isaannative on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:20 pm [220.255.7.xx]

Read below racist attacked news in Australia. It is strange that Australia farangs the most racist people on earth are here in Thailand saying that Thais are xenophobia/racist. A white farang killing a Chinese only get 15 years. Supposing if it is a Chinese or an Indian killed a white in Australia, I just can’t imagine.

Man gets 15 years for fatal racist hit
Melbourne man, gang set out to attack an Indian but mistakenly killed Chinese.

MELBOURNE: A Melbourne man has jailed for killing an ethnic Chinese researcher after leading a vicious gang attack because he thought victim was Indian.

The Age newspaper reported this week that 21-year-old John Caratozzolo had told his friends he wanted to attack and Indian student for his mobile handset because, he said, they had better phones.

By mistake, they assaulted Dr Zhongjun Cao who neither Indian nor a student. Melbourne’s Supreme Court, which jailed Ceratozzolo for 15 years this week, heard that he and six others set upon Dr Cao, 41 as he walked home from work at Victoria University in January last year.

In an attack which David Harper was quoted as saying was “intended to inflict as much gratuitous pain as to increase pleasure”, Dr Cao was knocked to the floor before a laughing Caratozolo kicked him in the head so hard that he injured his own foot.

During the earlier court case when juvenile members of the gang were sent to a youth justice centre for their part in the attack, Justice Harper said Dr Cao was left for dead in the street as the gang made off with his wallet and phone. He dead in hospital 4 days
later.

The gang carried out a second, equally mistargeted, racist attack that same night. Mauritian Binesh Mosahed was punched in the face and had his phone and backpack stolen. After identified as an Indian. But he escaped without serious injury.

Justice Harper said Caratozzolo had even learnt how to swear at Indian in Hindi , and learned words and phrases “designed to cause maximum offence”

Melbourne has gained notoriety for a recent series of assaults - dudbbed “curry bashing” in the Indian media – on Indian students studying in the city.

The attacks have prompted demonstrations in Australia and frantic diplomatic efforts as Canberra seeks to ease New Delhi’s concerns about the issue.
User avatar
MTT
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby Michael Bukit on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:50 pm

[quote="MTT"]Not sure where this belongs: but we don't need another topic with the same stuff. So I am moving it here.

Re: Is Farang an f word?

New postby Isaannative on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:20 pm [220.255.7.xx]

Read below racist attacked news in Australia. It is strange that Australia farangs the most racist people on earth are here in Thailand saying that Thais are xenophobia/racist. A white farang killing a Chinese only get 15 years. Supposing if it is a Chinese or an Indian killed a white in Australia, I just can’t imagine.

Man gets 15 years for fatal racist hit
Melbourne man, gang set out to attack an Indian but mistakenly killed Chinese.


Hi Isaan Native,

I’ve agreed with you on this point. Australia farangs the most racist people on earth are here in Thailand saying that Thais are xenophobia/racist.

Recently there have been many racist attacks in Australia. Most of the victims are Indian students assaulted by the White gang for no reason just because they are Indian. Chinese are also targeted. In Perth, Chinese restaurants are set on fire by White gang for no reason too.

I hope those Aussie farangs living in Thailand should take a good look at their own backyard before saying Thai are xenophobia and racist.
User avatar
Michael Bukit
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby Hanuman on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:31 am

Crimson wrote: Some people are gifted at changing the meanings of the words and made them into the f words.


Indeed !!!
The irony is that if one day farang has become an f word, it will be only because of those farang who at present complain that it is an f word when it still isn't. So they will have been responsible by turning it into an f word, by spreading the false idea between ignorant and gullible farang. A twist on a self-fulilling prophecy of sorts.
Just assuming it is an insult, is ignorance. Keep on saying it's an insult even after having been explained it isn't, is spreading hate messages and is racist in itself
Last edited by Hanuman on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Hanuman
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby Glasshock on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 am

Issannative is quite correct actually. I have been living here for some 10 years now & I really dont see that this issue will change. I also think that its use is fairly harmless and just boils down to lack of education on this matter....this will not change.
I do object a little to the word 'falang spreading around a public place like wild fire and feeling like I have a horn on my head this just depends on my mood.... and then again my friends.... we are guests here in theis country, and we CHOOSE to live here. If you dont like it, please.....there is always a flight home!
I dont mean to sound harsh, but I'm sick of foreign visitors or residents complaining about annd trying to change a country they are merely guests within......
Just enjoy Thailand!! :roll:
User avatar
Glasshock
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:02 am

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby so-cal on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:02 am

Jason McDonald wrote:Just to add to the argument.

Thai culture is inherently racist. It is deeply ingrained in both the language and culture to the extent that Thai people are totally unaware that they are being racist and as a consequence do not use the language in an overt racist way.
Thailand also has another problem holding back its rightful development in that the society is too inward looking to Thai culture. Racism is just one effect of this. The others such as history, education, land ownership have been covered in other topics.

But having said that the people are lovely and I get on with them extremely well. Go fishig with the guy next door and our wives cook the fish when we bring them home. He is better at fishing than me so we do get to eat some fish. Just have to accept the good with the very small amount of bad.

If the bad gets bigger than the good I'll go to Vietnam or return to my other home in Australia permanently.


The reason you think that Thailand is racist is because you have grown up in the ultra politically correct west where the homosexuals and the special interest groups have highjacked peoples freedom of speech. It is considered racist to even mention a minority race in the west. It is pathetic and stupid.

When you are in the security line in an airport, why do we have old white ladies getting their shoes xrayed to make sure they don't have any bombs planted in them ?

Because if we took all of the younger arab looking men aside instead people like you would scream RACIST ! RACIST ! Now think of all the time and man power that gets wasted checking that old white ladies to see if they are carrying bombs onto planes.
User avatar
so-cal
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:53 am

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby fredceely on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:52 am

By way of introduction, I've been here five years. I have taught English for Pratom and Mateom students, and I now teach law at a Bangkok university.

I don't mind being called Farang. At first I objected to being called "a Frenchman," but I got over it.

Issannative offends me by suggesting that I, as Farang, refer to people as Chinamen or Pakis. Those are derogatory terms, no longer acceptable in polite society. "Black," on the other hand, has no derogatory context. Black Americans chose that term themselves, in the Sixties.

Farang is very gentle compared to many other terms for White Europeans (or Americans). It's a lot better than "White Devils," for one. There are many terms beyond Chinamen too, like "Slopes," or "Gooks." In the New York City of my youth, Asians were often called "Squints." These terms are offensive.

As for American Blacks, Italians sometimes refer to them as "Moolies," a play on the Italian word for eggplant, which has a dark, purple color. Worse yet, Los Angeles policemen many years ago routinely called them "Buns," short for Jungle Bunnies, or "Boons," short for Baboons. That's very offensive.

So Farang isn't so bad, all things considered.
User avatar
fredceely
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:34 am

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests