Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Re: Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Postby jakeBDR529 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:16 pm

I read that Anna Lenowens was once asked to describe Thai people in one word. She chose 'Capricious'. The reliablity of the source may be apocryphal, but the answer is perfect!
jakeBDR529

Postby DonAleman on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:33 am

I have been here 10 years and coming from a business background, found Thai-ness to be, simply, an excuse for not completing, successfully, ANY THING, anything at all ! The Thai citizenry does very well with the poor educational tools provided by various Govt. agencies but the ones controlling most of the finances and proper tools are, for the most part, not competent/educated/experienced to do the job to which they have been appointed. Each year, in spite of huge amounts of money being spent, ( wasted), and, literally hundreds of expensive meetings and proposals/ promises to lower traffic fatalities, reduce crime, repair/replace crumbling/missing or needed infrastructure, improve education, lower taxes, most "bad" statistics have gone up and "good ones " down. Thais, are good listeners, excellent promisers, but lack the
ability to even repair a road or railroad not requiring hi tech skills, without the repair itself failing in months ! Thai - ness = big fat excuse for remaining a century back of the real "emerging" nations. No Thai can demonstrate anything progressive happening/completed successfully, on time, within budget here in 50 years.
DonAleman

Postby zulu on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:49 pm

DonAleman wrote:I have been here 10 years and coming from a business background, found Thai-ness to be, simply, an excuse for not completing, successfully, ANY THING, anything at all !.... Thai - ness = big fat excuse for remaining a century back of the real "emerging" nations. No Thai can demonstrate anything progressive happening/completed successfully, on time, within budget here in 50 years.

...seems that you perfectly fit in. :cheers:
zulu

Postby DonAleman on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:04 pm

I, Zulu, have done ,more, provable. effective things for Thai people than all the government agencies combined and, without pay, office or being asked - see a need, fill it is my rule of life. Presently I support a Thai wife and 2 children their Thai fathers have never seen ! No sense going further with a poster Zulu, who doesn't accept reality and attacks the messenger, not the problems. Thailand is jam packed with "do nothings" like you.
DonAleman

Postby zulu on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 pm

DonAleman wrote:I, Zulu, have done ,more, provable. effective things for Thai people than all the government agencies combined and, without pay, office or being asked - see a need, fill it is my rule of life. Presently I support a Thai wife and 2 children their Thai fathers have never seen ! No sense going further with a poster Zulu, who doesn't accept reality and attacks the messenger, not the problems. Thailand is jam packed with "do nothings" like you.

as i say: you fit in perfectly. your karma. you deserve thai people. you should be happy. praise them, 'coz they give your life a sense.
zulu

Postby Luvtat on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:35 pm

ponsasinor wrote:overhaul38, you seem a little sensitive, must be getting a lot of this "Yank Bashing". I can say as a Westerner (New Zealand, so actually a Southerner) who has lived and travelled in many Western countries, that our cousins in the US do seem to have a lower bar when it comes to knowing about countries outside of their own. Probably for the same reasons that ancient Romans might not have bothered knowing much about "Barbarians" outside of Rome.

A great example from my experience; I was at a supermarket check out recently, in Tucson, AZ where I've been living for a few years now, and this check out girl did the usual" ohh, I love your accent, where are you from?", to which I replied "Thanks (groan), New Zealand", and she said "wow, thats great!, so what language do they speak where you come from?". (???!!!). ""Pygmalion" darling, have you heard of it?".

My on-topic point, agreeing with an earlier poster, is that Thais certainly do not have any monopoly on ignorance, and it is especially rich to hear "Yanks" calling Thais ignorant. Given the relative amount of government spending per-capita on education in the US and Thailand it's amazing that they know anything really, aye?

Another thing, I've been married to a Thai for ten years now. Far from being a bar girl I met her in NZ. She worked for a
Government Dept and had won a scholarship to go there and learn English. From a poor family. She is a highly moral person, within her own ethical framework, who has ingrained Buddhism. I respect her and her World view far more than, I can say, the majority of Westerners and their World views I've known in my life.

And by the way, my "sin sod" was an IOU :-)

So true I agree totally there A lot of Americans only view the thru the eyes of the media and Being one myself I found thru my travels all that they say isn't how it is But travelling is how one gains knowledge Believe a bit of what see a bit of what your told then go discover the truth for yourself with an open mind.
Luvtat

Postby Urbanaguy on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:49 am

Well, I have been married to a Thai woman for nearly 40 years and have traveled to and lived in Thailand innumerable times since our marriage (and we met at Berkeley, not Patpong). I have a daughter who idealized her "Khun Yai" and speaks Thai fluently. So I probably understand Thai culture and "Thainess" better than most farangs, and probably as well as many Thais. Actually, it took me about 2 hours to come to understand Thai culture when I arrived on my first trip there in 1992, when I saw the household servants groveling and sitting on the ground. I have been incredibly impressed with Thailand's social, economic, and cultural advance since that first visit, especially the recent ascendancy of the poor. So I am also heartsick that Thailand has now reverted to being just another "banana republic," with strutting generals and all the rest. I guess if we want a taste of freedom on our next trip to that region, we will have to go to Burma.
Urbanaguy

Postby mutley on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:06 am

[quote="Urbanaguy" So I am also heartsick that Thailand has now reverted to being just another "banana republic," with strutting generals and all the rest. I guess if we want a taste of freedom on our next trip to that region, we will have to go to Burma.[/quote]
Sorry, but you obviously do not understand the situation here. Democracy is not just one man one vote but has to be backed by rule of law as in western democracies. Thais need to learn that they cannot just do what they want when they want and until they understand that, this cycle of coup, election, coup, election will continue. No, the army should stay in power for as long as it takes and resist calls from the loony liberal left in the west who simply do not understand the Thai psyche. PS. You would be safer here now than if you came when all the nonsense in BKK was going on.
mutley

Postby StsInUS on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:46 pm

What is Thai-ness??? The most prominent characteristics of Thai people I am aware of are lack of individuality, and a little low in sense of fairness. Yes, I am Thai, however, having lived in the west for 2/3 of my life, I think I can understand and am able to analyze the tendency of Thai mass more objectively. ....

Sense of fairness, independent thinking, and having courage to display individuality are some characteristics I do hope Thai people have more. Thailand could evolve to become a real diamond of the East if Thai children are cultivated with emphasis more in culture behaviors and ethics. National pride often times distorts the real big picture.
StsInUS

Postby 3rivers on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:07 am

This is the same everywhere. Americans, I am one, have our own little white lies we tell ourselves and that are reinforced very effectively by our social needs. Thai are the same as everyone else. Of course they are. So it's no surprise that Thai need to explain away the comments about their culture by telling themselves that white foreigners just can't possibly understand Thai culture. However, as with most of these kinds of Big Lies, if you are at all rational it is easy to put it in it's place. For anyone to understand a culture, including their own culture, it is absolutely essential that they are intimately familiar with at least two or more cultures. End of story.
3rivers

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in