When time comes to marry a Thai girl...

When time comes to marry a Thai girl...

Postby Coder on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Hello everyone,

Occasionally I came across to the topic about 'farang'. I could not stop and spent more than THREE hours reading all comments. I should admit, I enjoyed them all! I love the way how deeply the subject was studied.

I hope you do not mind to share some of your experience with me, regarding the subjects described below:

1) Is there any chance that foreigner will ever become a part of Thai family?

2) Where will be husbands place in Thai family's hierarchy?

3) Can Thai wife accept some traditions, habits, religion views of her husband?

4) Will husband/family be ever more important to Thai wife than her mother?

7) Is that true that Thai wife will easier divorce a foreigner than a Thai man?

5) Do all Thai girl think that they are burden for their parents?

6) Is it true that foreigner Man has less respect than any woman in Thailand?

8) Why many Thai girls prefer to be single and never marry?

9) Why many Thai girls do not like reading books or studying something new?

Thanks for your answers and ideas!
Coder

Re: When time comes to marry a Thai girl...

Postby chekellog on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Coder wrote:Hello everyone,

Occasionally I came across to the topic about 'farang'. I could not stop and spent more than THREE hours reading all comments. I should admit, I enjoyed them all! I love the way how deeply the subject was studied.

I hope you do not mind to share some of your experience with me, regarding the subjects described below:

Thanks for your answers and ideas!

Thai also a family oriented one. :-)
chekellog

Postby cadcolin on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:58 pm

depends on the attitude of the family (my wife's family are all university educated and have a modern outlook on life)

quite simply a walking ATM if you don't lay down some rules of your own

my wife is quite happy to look at other habits and views and is not so narrow minded to think Thai is the only way

depends on the relationship my wife fights like cat and dog with her mother when in a room together but when apart the relationship is more cordial

is it true that Thai men divorce and chase other woman when they think they can get a better woman ?
look at the man not from where he comes from

no but my wife has a modern independent outlook on life

do you mean that a foreign man treats a Thai woman with less respect try looking at what Thai men do and compare what foreign men do and I don't mean the sleazy parts of patttaya or Bangkok

heres a short story staying at my wife's compound in a village about 20knm from the big city virtually all men in the village are drunk to the point of not being able to stand up by the time the sun has set
with Thai men like this are you wondering why Thai woman prefer to be single or choose a foreign husband

that's not a woman thing that's a Thai thing when you have you degree or certificate etc. Thais seem to think that's it for education its only the beginning of a lifetimes learning
cadcolin

Postby kalid on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:49 am

Those are questions for the Thai woman/wife, not the farang husband, and the Thai wife does not read the English Bangkok Post, only the farang husbands. For the heck of it, I'll ask my Thai wife the questions. Here are her answers:

1. Yes. Why not? Thai family love this.
2. (I got it) As husband, and one who helps take care of mother/father
3. My wife loves Christmas, has no bad habits (lol), and we are both Buddhists. So we accept things from each other.
4. My wife's mother is gone, so I don't know.
5. No. She says family is not a "burden", taking care of each other is what you do.
6. Depends on the Farang. Generally farang are not very careful how they choose the Thai woman. Many farang choose Thai woman who does not speak the truth. The Thai woman who smokes and drinks a lot is likely to be dishonest.
7. She says it is easier to divorce the Thai man, as they tend to be poor.
8. Because she cannot find the good person to take care of her. Thai men and women sometimes expect too much in a spouse.
9. Because she does not have the chance, has to work, etc.
She had fun talking about it, she understood the questions better than I did.
kalid

Postby john_ca on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:32 pm

1) Is there any chance that foreigner will ever become a part of Thai family? Yes. If you marry and behave as a responsible husband you are part of her family

2) Where will be husbands place in Thai family's hierarchy? Same as her position

3) Can Thai wife accept some traditions, habits, religion views of her husband? Some. My wife still holds on to many of her Thai traditions but has adapted well to farang life

4) Will husband/family be ever more important to Thai wife than her mother? No. As long as her mother is alive she is number one. Ask her wife why. She'll respond "She gave me life"

7) Is that true that Thai wife will easier divorce a foreigner than a Thai man? No

5) Do all Thai girl think that they are burden for their parents? No

6) Is it true that foreigner Man has less respect than any woman in Thailand?Absolutely not

8) Why many Thai girls prefer to be single and never marry? Too many have seen too many bad experiences among their friends

MY wife reads all the time
john_ca

Postby jakeBDR529 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:09 pm

From one guy to another - you obvioulsy have a lot of doubts and you should not get married. The old saying "marry in haste, repent at leisure" takes on new meaning if your bride-to-be is Thai. If you are looking to get so many 'boxes ticked' before taking the plunge, you haven't met the right woman yet. Sorry to be blunt but I think just by the fact you asked these questions means something is not right...
jakeBDR529

Postby bobbyd on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:56 am

by jakeBDR529 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:09 pm
From one guy to another - you obvioulsy have a lot of doubts and you should not get married. The old saying "marry in haste, repent at leisure" takes on new meaning if your bride-to-be is Thai. If you are looking to get so many 'boxes ticked' before taking the plunge, you haven't met the right woman yet. Sorry to be blunt but I think just by the fact you asked these questions means something is not right...

I disagree completely!

Having reservations is normal. All relationships include the positive and the negative side of your partner. Of course the positives must outweigh the negatives for the relationship to last.

Asking oneself lots of questions especially when thinking of marrying someone from a different culture is even more essential.
bobbyd

Postby johncat1 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Don't be so naive. A foreigner will only be accepted into a Thai family if he supports them. Foreigners will always be regarded as The Farang, or walking ATM machine.
You don't marry a Thai girl you marry the family, and once the money dries up they will look for another meal ticket for themselves and their daughter.
I have married and divorced a money grabbing Thai girl. But it has not put me off I have now been with one Thai girl for almost 4 years but I am not stupid enough to get married to one again.
johncat1

Postby bobbyd on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:50 pm

by johncat1 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Don't be so naive. A foreigner will only be accepted into a Thai family if he supports them. Foreigners will always be regarded as The Farang, or walking ATM machine.
You don't marry a Thai girl you marry the family, and once the money dries up they will look for another meal ticket for themselves and their daughter.
I have married and divorced a money grabbing Thai girl. But it has not put me off I have now been with one Thai girl for almost 4 years but I am not stupid enough to get married to one again.

As mentioned in my post, ask lots of questions. Can't think how that is being naive, if you are referring to my post? I stand by my post.

As for the financial aspects of marrying a Thai woman. Ask her how much she needs solely for her family (mom, dad,) every month. Get an exact number of people you'll be helping, but tell her to give you the figure the next day. If she comes back with an exorbitant amount, think about getting a new girlfriend.

It would be fair to say to her that you’re willing to help her family, but not as the sole contributer. Tell her you’ll contribute with an amount every month you know you can handle/ budget and let her know that’s the figure. Make clear, the figure and tell her not to ask for more after you've settled on an amount.

Tell her you have to provide for your and her finances too, and the possibility of starting a family.

Tell her money is business, nothing to do with emotion / love. If you see a funny look on her face, find someone new.
bobbyd

Postby gk10002000 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 pm

Why should I offer to contribute to her family? Who decides how much I can afford? Every penny that is left over at the end of every month? how much am I allowed to save or invest? The whole point of view is off.
gk10002000

Next

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in