The New Oris Big Crown X1 Calculator
On 14th October 1947, the Bell X1 undertook the first manned supersonic flight, breaking the sound barrier and entering the history books. The stunning new Oris Big Crown X1 timepiece is a direct homage to this incredible aviation milestone, featuring historically accurate ‘slide rule’ detailing and 3 bar water-resistance as standard.
The Bell X1 pilots undertook their amazing feat in an age before computers and pocket calculators, relying on the specially designed ‘slide rule’ for all engineering calculations. In honour of these pilots, Oris have included a circular version of the slide rule as part of the intrinsic design of the Big Crown X1 Calculator.
The watch’s case also has a gun metal coloured PVD coating to mirror the copper colour of the Bell X-1 plane, and in a further nod to its namesake, the re-set pusher of the chronograph is marked with an “X” and the start stop pusher is marked with a “I”.
Although it is a faithful tribute to the history of aviation, the Oris Big Crown X1 Calculator with its clear cut, instrumental design, provides all the necessary and relevant data for every pilot’s needs – even with today’s computerized aviation systems.
Oris have produced a long and distinguished line of pilot’s watches and the new Big Crown X1 Calculator is sure to prove a timeless edition to the illustrious collection.
Oris Big Crown X1 Calculator
Ø 46.00mm Ref: 675 7648 4264 LB
• Automatic mechanical movement with chronograph function. Centralised stop second, subsidiary second, minute and hour displays. Date display between 4 & 5 hour
• 3-piece stainless steel case, PVD plated in gun metal colour
• Outside and inside domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on both sides
• Screwed case back with mineral crystal and meter/feet scale
• Revolving outer top ring and inner dial ring with slide rule
• Screw-down stainless steel crown and pushers, PVD plated in gun metal colour
• 3 bar water resistant
• Figures and indices printed with luminous Super luminova
• Dark brown calf skin leather strap with contrast stitching, PVD plated stainless steel buckle
• Flight box with slide ruler scale on the outside. The set includes a certificate and history of the watch. Also includes DVD of “The Right Stuff” directed by Philip Kaufman about the breaking of the sound barrier
• Swiss Retail Price CHF 3’350
. The leather straps complement the dials with either matching or contrasting shades of black and dark brown of white. Both the bracelet and the clasp feature Gucci’s iconic horse bit.
- Posts: 660
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests