Freedom of Ownership by Owning Boathouse

RE: RE: Freedom of Ownership by Owning Boathouse

Postby Ian on Wed May 09, 2007 1:13 pm

Harry - unfortunately you are right : on both counts. Thailand is now not a good country to do business - foreigner
"buyer beware".
Ian

RE: Beware of Foreign Settlements on Thailand

Postby Ian on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:13 pm

Analyst - there's a major difference : the Jews fled Europe (those who survived) because they faced annihilation there.
This was the major spur for them to emigrate to Israel - though most, in fact went to the US, Canada, Australia, etc.
Those who went to Palestine did not marry Arabs.
It's hardly a comparable situation to us farang married to Thais.
Ian

RE: Freedom of Ownership by Owning Boathouse

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:19 pm

The point about buying property in Thailand is : DON"T.
Ian

Postby robin on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:29 pm

Ian,
Difficult to imagine getting better advise, "don't" sums it up pretty well.
robin

Postby Ian on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:49 pm

Robin - right now I would n't advise anyone to buy property in Thailand.
But there's now serious talk among Thailand's major leaders, during his current election campaign, about overhauling the antiquated anti-foreigner laws. These laws were enacted by military regimes umpteen decades ago,
when Thailand - and the world - had a vastly different economy.
I'm sure Thais - with their great ingenuity, subtle abilities to compromise, and great market common sense - will come up with a workable solution that makes possible more security for foreign investment, while keeping control of their country.
Ian

Postby robin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Ian,
I think I will stick with the "don't" for a few more years. What can be changed, can be changed back far to easliy in Thailand.
During the current blame game mentality, world wide, it is too easy to put that sticker on someone else, in our case foreigners.
robin

Re: Freedom of Ownership by Owning Boathouse

Postby phraxos5 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:24 pm

If they want to get your boathouse they will...and you know that 100% of the land on any water in Thailand is already protected from anything manmade extending into the water, especially for foriegners. Buy a condo! under the 49% foriegner freehold law. It is the only way for foriegners to legally own. Otherwise you could lose your investment even in a boathouse, not that anyone would want one anyway mainly because of security concerns not to mention the smell.
phraxos5

Postby bahu-luang on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:42 pm

As I understand it, up until the late 19th century, foreigners were only allowed to live on boats and not on land.
bahu-luang

Postby MalibuDan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:37 pm

I have lived in Thailand for over a year now and spent 1.5 million Bhat here. My Thai wife has 500,000 bhats in her I lent to her so she could re-fi her rental house. I put a Honda Jazz in her name to limit my liability in case of an accident. I was going to build a 3 million Bhat home on the Chao Praya River, But it is in her name and she can just snap her fingers and I have to leave the country fast no Packing. Thailand got 1.5 Bhats. And I will only pay peanuts for my rent and food. If I had Ownership of Land I would of spent 5 Million Bhats on my new home and provided all the businesses and people with work. The Smart money will not buy here. I will invest my 5 million in the States and get a return of 50,000 Bhats a month for life. And my investment is secure and I don't lose my money. Just try to sell a used house here. Good Luck!!!
Money is not an issue for me, I spend what I want! But I will not buy into Thailand until I have ownership.....
MalibuDan

Postby thornyside on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:00 pm

MalibuDan wrote:I have lived in Thailand for over a year now and spent 1.5 million Bhat here. My Thai wife has 500,000 bhats in her I lent to her so she could re-fi her rental house. I put a Honda Jazz in her name to limit my liability in case of an accident. I was going to build a 3 million Bhat home on the Chao Praya River, But it is in her name and she can just snap her fingers and I have to leave the country fast no Packing. Thailand got 1.5 Bhats. And I will only pay peanuts for my rent and food. If I had Ownership of Land I would of spent 5 Million Bhats on my new home and provided all the businesses and people with work. The Smart money will not buy here. I will invest my 5 million in the States and get a return of 50,000 Bhats a month for life. And my investment is secure and I don't lose my money. Just try to sell a used house here. Good Luck!!!
Money is not an issue for me, I spend what I want! But I will not buy into Thailand until I have ownership.....

That is exactly why a houseboat is perfect! :cheers: Have any problem, you just move somewhere else! :twisted:
thornyside

PreviousNext

Return to Buying property + home in Thailand : issues + guidelines