Living in an Isarn Village

RE: RE: Living in an Isarn Village

Postby Juan on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi Roaster,

Thanks for your post, it is always interesting to read your views on different matters.

Yes, how right you are to regard as utopic my last post. It looks more like something out of an idealist teenager. I am not a teenager anymore and not either I am optimistic about mankind, but I can’t help looking our world like that, as an unite. Having said that, I am not so naïf not to tell the difference between what I would like it to be and what the reality is.

I don’t plan to live permanently in Isarn, as I said it is not my world and I know I would never settle down, but I think I could spend reasonable small periods of time. Then I will certainly follow the advice of people like Collin.

Funny enough you was mentioning bringing new skills and innovations. Let me say that I don’t know much about agriculture and farming management but I am a good observer and in my visits to my girl friend’s village I have notice what inefficient and out off date methods they use. Upset me to see people working so hard to obtain so little. I have the feeling that much could be done in order to increase quality, efficiency and crop production.

There is a region in South East Spain very arid, similar to the countryside of Arizona or Texas in the States. Back in the sixties this area was among the poorest regions in Europe, a real left over. Everything sparks just with an idea, and somebody had the idea to forget about the ancient system and adopt pioneering technologies. They built big structures and cover then with plastics so that the temperature could be control, you could call it some sort of green houses. As that area is extremely dry, for watering they used a new system with tubes that delivers a drop at a time and was centrally control. As the system worked many people did the same and within some years the place totally changed.

Well, to make the story short, what once was one of the poorest regions, now is one of the wealthiest. They sell the best quality products all over Europe. Problem is the locals don’t want to work the farms anymore and are the immigrants from Eastern Europe, North Africa and South America the ones who do the job. If you drive in that region you won’t see any land, just miles and miles don’t stop all cover with plastics and green houses. The technology that they use these days it is the most advance, all about agronomy engineering and whole farms are totally control by computers.

Everything started with just an idea. They called it miracle but it is not, it’s just an example of what will and private enterprise can do. Sorry about the length of this post.

Best regards
Juan
Juan

Postby colin howard on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:07 am

hi AD, don,t think you will get a straight answer on this one , one that makes any sense that is , charlie.
colin howard

Postby AD on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:13 am

G'day Rooster, how is that rich cousin of yours going ! has he sold any more condo's lately.
AD

Postby Rooster on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 am

AD. This rich cousin is not a blood relative. His family is the Thai-chinese side of my wife wife who is smart enough to take my advises. The condo was sold about five years ago to South Korean businessman and his Thai-chinese wife. But he did took my 7 years old advise on selling off all his family's diamonds and other jewelries and only keep gold bars as investment. Well, he did tell me exactly the profit when he sold all the gold bars when gold reached B8,500 THB per 1 baht. He only told me that he brought many kilograms of gold bars. As for my reward, he gave my first daughter $5,000 US saving bonds for her education.
Rooster

Postby Rooster on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:44 am

Yes, I knew of the region in Europe. Spain and other EU countries need to bring in more workers from their old colonies to help those poor people. Thailand had too many pseudo-leaders who mismanaged Siam and Thailand. Now, many bureaucrates and politicians are against Thai mega-projects to develop water resources, which will in turn help solve flooding problems. Another project is the centuries old idea of the Kra Canal. They are claiming cost vs benefit analysis for their oppositions against these projects. I am sure that there were people who laughed at and against this one single revolutionary idea of greenhouse and drip irrigation system.
Rooster

Postby a watcher on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:28 am

Hellow Juan,
I spent last 10 years in Isaan (partly working in Bangkok). Seeing your boresome, I remind you of an English proverb, for a year joy, marrying, for a three year's build house, for a life, no woman (in fact this is my reinvention).
I built a house here and enjoyed 3 years. How ?, I taught myself of all earth moving work, carpentry, iron work, stone work and so on. it is fun and the skill now I use for my rice earning business.
a watcher

Re: Living in an Isarn Village

Postby Pragmatic on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:39 am

Gentlemen,please do some research into an Issarn Person,i think a few of you get them mixed up with settlers from neighbouring States.Most impolite to youre Etnic Thai Hosts dont you think. :cry:
Pragmatic

Postby Justice_Served on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:10 am

Wireless internet is a MUST!

Their many areas where small communities are full of westerners . Small 20-30 gated housing developments full of foreigners. But they too leave for long extended times and appear as ghost towns.
Ive seen many near Khao Yai or Khorat areas. The north is also full of them. I suggest buying a small town house on leased ground to start your venture. Its a cheaper alternative than building a 2 story house out in the country , find some where near that's accommodates the westerns living standards before the deep plunge of village life
Think of a small business you can start to employ a few locals as more for some thing to do than a get rich scheme on your behalf. Or do as many pass your learnings on to the children of less fortunate nature , so your knowledge may be used more as a gift that a profit . Teach a youngster how to manufacture some thing he can earn of living from .
Theirs endless ways to keep your attention on the limits of endless fun .I found best results to intermingle with all in the community . Each corner you turn will add pleasure and excitment, many found lost in boredom has not left the front porch other than a beer run in last 3-4 weeks.
Justice_Served

Postby Justice_Served on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:32 am

Other advice study up on fish farming in the back yard

chickens are poop eaters and nasty .

A mobil rice mill being pulled by your motor bike village to village will keep ya busy part of the year

Remember 10 bth @ a time will be your wealth..lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL
Justice_Served

Postby mrnicey1966 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:04 pm

villages are most the same everywhere in the world ,if its a rural village then there will not be alot to do and you will have to make your own entertainment
mrnicey1966

PreviousNext

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required