Why do ONLY foreigners get special promotion?

Re: Why do ONLY foreigners get special promotion?

Postby Sean Moran on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:34 pm

scyriacus wrote:
Sean Moran wrote:
Rick Bradford wrote:...entry for Thais is 20Bt, for falang is 90Bt. ...I always view dual pricing as being a subsidy for Thais rather than an extra charge on falang....

... back in May 2005 ...the 20thb Thai price was the same, but I was asked to pay a 200 thb entry fee....

most outrageous is that in times of crisis the 'subsidies' for thais have been cut from 180 down to just 70 baht....

'Thai people understand that Wall Street has bancrupted itself over the 'greed is good' mentality. :lol:
Sean Moran

Postby witsawakorn on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:44 pm

VP wrote:The advertising board on the way to Airport is shown "Foreigner Zone.. Buying house (somewhere around Bangkok..) Foreigner, with Special Price!!"

I know the property company may want to attract foreigners to invest in property in Thailand. But, what about Thais who also want to own the property in their own country but have to pay higher price than non-resident?

The obvious comment is that foreigners can not legally own land in Thailand ( there are exceptions such as US Citizens under the treaty of Amity) so there is little value in being offered a special deal on a house:-)
witsawakorn

Postby PettyTyrant on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:00 pm

VP wrote:The advertising board on the way to Airport is shown "Foreigner Zone.. Buying house (somewhere around Bangkok..) Foreigner, with Special Price!!"

I know the property company may want to attract foreigners to invest in property in Thailand. But, what about Thais who also want to own the property in their own country but have to pay higher price than non-resident?
's

Funny funny funny...by special price they mean the foreigner will pay more..much much more than the Thai would pay..
I you are right in pointing out that 2 tier pricing system is unfair and racist... but you probably would not agree that Thais should have to pay the same price as farang.
PettyTyrant

Postby Billy Baht on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:08 pm

I disagree with with the OP with respect to "Special Promotions" that foreigners receive in Thailand. We, foreigners, can not own land in Thailand, are charged 10 times the Thai price for admission to National Parks, Grand Palace, etc. and usually are the loser/at fault party in any traffic accident or disagreement with a Thai citizen.

Maybe the "Special Treatment" we receive is exploitation and mistreatment?
Billy Baht

Postby NorDevil on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:36 am

Sure hahahahahahahaha " Special Promotion " as a farang I have to pay higher prices on everything !
If I buy a car cash then I can not even register the car in my own name - special promotion
I can not get a creditcard in Thailand - special promotion
If I buy a house I can not have in my own name - special promotion
Thailand has a lot of " Special Promotions " for us farang . . . .
It is my deepest wish that Thais also get ALL the " Special Promotoins " that we the farang get ! ! ! ! !
Why do I not leave Thailand ????????
Easy !!!!!
Thai women also has " Special Promotions " for us farang . . . . 55555555555555555555
NorDevil

Postby rogerbangkok on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 am

As a foreigner with a wonderfull Thia wife i will tell tell you what a special price is. 25% to 30% more than Thias if you can bargin. When we buy any thing i keep out of sight & my wife gets the right price.
Roger - London
rogerbangkok

Postby Profiler on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:58 pm

scy wrote:
rogerbangkok wrote:As a foreigner with a wonderfull Thia wife i will tell tell you what a special price is. 25% to 30% more than Thias if you can bargin. When we buy any thing i keep out of sight & my wife gets the right price.
Roger - London
hi roger, have you heard about that one farang with no such wonderful wife. she thought to be rich & prominent with her farang and spent all his money generously, giving extraordinary tips, buying herself friends like politicians buy votes.
when he wanted to save money, he went shopping alone & left her at home.

:lol: Pathetic comment
Profiler

Postby Ian on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:10 pm

When I first came here I negotiated a price with a local builder, when I paid without screaming he overpriced the next job so I told him to get lost. This has happened with 4 builders so far, 3 in my village, now no one will do business with them cos they "charge farang prices".
Now the economic \\ //// has hit the fan, the opposite is happening with the taxis (5 in my village), I used to pay 800 Baht for a return trip to Bangkok, then another offered the same for 600 Baht, now another one is offering 500 Baht. I enjoy this "Limbo, limbo, how low can you go" game.
Ian

Postby DJD THAILAND on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:03 am

I see that the special promotion for foreigners has been on going for a while...
Amazing to see that we all like to complain about, special prices, farang prices, double pricing standards etc...

So why are we then still here...? there must be something about Thailand that at first brings us here and eventually makes us stay.... wonder what that might be?
Twenty years living and working in Thailand... you learn to live with it... and admit it, it's a good conversation piece with the"newly" arrived farangs... :cheers:

It gives you the "savoir vivre" experience in Thailand. :lol:
DJD THAILAND

Postby cracker99 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:40 am

Me and my Thai girlfriend were given an example of the ‘special foreigner’ treatment by several taxi’s in a row last weekend. Coming over to visit from Cambodia (where I work) we decided to do some shopping at MBK and then visit the Emerald Place (shocked to say she had never been there despite living in BKK).

Outside our hotel, a tuktuk driver insisted the Emerald Palace was closed that day and he could take use somewhere better with good deals! My girlfriend started to get angry….

At the Emerald Palace, the first Taxi diver would not take use back to the MBK centre as ‘its too short a trip’ unless we first when to looked round his friends shop…..the girlfriend got even angrier.

Final at the MBK centre 2 Meter Taxi’s in a row refused to turn on their meters, asking for a 100 baht for a 40 baht trip, this infuriated my girlfriend as they never try this with her….when she started to argue this with one of the driver he said to her (in Thai) ‘why you choose farang over you own people, he can afford it’.

She says to me ‘why they do this, this never happens when I’m on my own?’ because your with a farang dear.

So to sum up, the ‘special treatment’ farangs get from Thai businesses deeply embarrassed my girlfriend and ruined our weekend together…Thailand such a special place for tourists. Next time she wants to come visit me in Cambodia instead, they still overcharge you their, but there way less obvious about it.
cracker99

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns