Re: Farangs Barred From Buying Thai Land

Postby pachangamac042 on Wed May 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Papadragon wrote:Foreigners cannot use a Thai spouse as a nominee to buy property in Thailand, however.
“If the Thai spouse has enough money to buy the house that is fine, but if the Thai has no money and uses money given to him or her by a foreigner to acquire property, that is against the law. If we check and find out later that a Thai person has been using money from a foreigner to buy land anywhere in Thailand, we will revoke title deeds,” he said.

If this is not racism against their own people, then I do not know anything. Are Thais married to foreigners less Thai then the others? I wonder if they really have laws for “real” Thais and different laws for those married with foreigners.

And as Papa asks, what is going to happen to the thousands of houses bought by foreigners on the name of their Thai partners?

On the other hand, hmm, this article sounds a bit smelly. Could it be, that Land Department Director Anuwat Meteewiboonwut was just blowing out some hot air or is that really written down in some law books, the way he says it?
pachangamac042

Postby alex1 on Wed May 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Papadragon wrote:
Sean Moran wrote:Sorry if I may have overlooked it but is there an hyperlink to reference this source?

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index ... &display=1

I wonder what happens now to all the houses purchased by farangs married to Thai ladies through nominee Companies or in their Thai partners name using money shipped into Thailand from abroad :?:
Will they all be seized by the Government :cheers:

they might want to divorce and kick you out, no more links to farang, no investigation. :cheers:
alex1

Postby Sean Moran on Wed May 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Pap, wasn't this all something you brought up long ago in some other thread that had me very worried but turned out to be some old rule or something that didn't make any difference as long as you play the game without trying to cheat the system?
Sean Moran

Postby pachangamac042 on Wed May 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Noaksy wrote:
pachangamac042 wrote:If this is not racism against their own people, then I do not know anything. Are Thais married to foreigners less Thai then the others? I wonder if they really have laws for “real” Thais and different laws for those married with foreigners.

But what is a "REAL" Thai? I'm sure there are many possible definitions but the most obvious one is a person with Thai nationality. Any definition based on skin colour, perceived race, behaviour or personal attributes are just poppycrock in my book.

“Real” Thai, as a Thai not married to an alien, maybe?

Question, what about Thais with Chinese origin? Can they own land and house?

To Noasky, cha cha my friend, do not take everything so serious. Sometimes you may find some sarcastic comments in here. :twisted:
pachangamac042

Postby Sean Moran on Wed May 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Not about the article but more about what you just said, which reminded me of something that it might have been you said long ago in another thread.

Essentially, you're saying that if I ever get back to complete the job that I was asked to do in 2005, and if it might still take a few more years, and happen to finally reunite with my ex-girlfriend again, (who asked me to marry her, which I declined nicely), and if we ever do officially shack up together, (and she was born on Sukh. Soi 3 and her Dad was an engine driver for the railway before the Vietnam War and I think you'df agree that she'd qualify as a REAL Thai), but the family farm will be forfeited to the gov if I ever say YES to her proposals?

We already proved once before that this is a load of tripe.
Sean Moran

Postby Ian on Wed May 27, 2009 7:15 pm

Seems to me that if I freely make a cash gift to my GF that money becomes her's to do with as she will. At best it may be taxable (under English law it is taxable if I die inside of 7 years from making the gift). If she then decides to buy a house and invites me to live in it with her, that is absolutely no concern of the government.
Ian

Postby Ian on Wed May 27, 2009 7:20 pm

Papadragon wrote:
Sean Moran wrote:Not about the article but more about what you just said, which reminded me of something that it might have been you said long ago in another thread.
Essentially, you're saying that if I ever get back to complete the job that I was asked to do in 2005, and if it might still take a few more years, and happen to finally reunite with my ex-girlfriend again, (who asked me to marry her, which I declined nicely), and if we ever do officially shack up together, (and she was born on Sukh. Soi 3 and her Dad was an engine driver for the railway before the Vietnam War and I think you'df agree that she'd qualify as a REAL Thai), but the family farm will be forfeited to the gov if I ever say YES to her proposals? We already proved once before that this is a load of tripe.

Land Department Director Anuwat Meteewiboonwut made the comments during a recent stop in Phuket as part of a nationwide inspection tour of 30 provinces.
Go tell him he's talking a load of tripe :cheers:

Perhaps he's been taking lessons from Abhasit :cheers:
Ian

Postby alex1 on Wed May 27, 2009 8:07 pm

A similar case was brought up a few years ago in Phatthaya, where they planned to have a crackdown on some 5 stars
hotels, claiming they were built up without or not in accordance with the blue point. As too many officials and politicains were involved, they stopped further investigations. The ownership has not been changed yet :cheers:
alex1

Postby alex1 on Wed May 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Papadragon wrote:
alex1 wrote:A similar case was brought up a few years ago in Phatthaya, where they planned to have a crackdown on some 5 stars hotels, claiming they were built up without or not in accordance with the blue point. As too many officials and politicains were involved, they stopped further investigations. The ownership has not been changed yet :cheers:

He's not talking about hotels - he's talking about houses bought with farang money :arrow:
Maybe he's planning to repossess them and sell them on to bona fide Thais :?:
Thais married to farangs and using farang money to buy a house seem to have achieved a lower status and broken the law :roll:
The proceeds will be for the benefit of a Goverment desperately short of money :cheers:

It appears that matter might have another reason too. If You married with a Thai girl, You bought the house on her name,
as a farang cannot own land, but if she dies before you, you might get all what she ownd including the house. As You
cannot own the land, you have to sell it, but how you can sell somthing, you don' t own? At least the Government need to
sell it and might fear, you' ll claim the price. :lol: :lol: :lol:
But if they conclude on the fact that house was bought with your money, you'll get nothig :cheers:
alex1

Postby Ian on Wed May 27, 2009 9:34 pm

alex1 wrote:It appears that matter might have another reason too. If You married with a Thai girl, You bought the house on her name,
as a farang cannot own land, but if she dies before you, you might get all what she ownd including the house. As You
cannot own the land, you have to sell it, but how you can sell somthing, you don' t own? At least the Government need to
sell it and might fear, you' ll claim the price. :lol: :lol: :lol:
But if they conclude on the fact that house was bought with your money, you'll get nothig :cheers:

Under present law, if you have reciprocal wills you can inherit house and land legally for one year, during that time you have to sell it to a Thai. As barring accidents she will outlive you the situation does not arise.
Ian

Next

Return to Buying property + home in Thailand : issues + guidelines