I am getting married

I am getting married

Postby JensThai on Fri May 29, 2009 4:31 am

I have been living in Thailand for more than 6 years and i am 38 years old. I read, write, speak and understand thai and Isan. I have checked my gf and she never been merried and have no children. She never worked in any kind of bar enviroment. I have a company where i have some land and 4 houses. I would like to know how to protect my property so in case of divorce she cant get her hands in any of it.

We have planned to get merried 30. december 2009 and i would like to get all the information i can about getting merried and divorced. I am not afraid of getting merried with her and we also want to have children but i want to be up front in this case. She has got 1 brother and 1 sister who already are merried and both of them living a middleclass life and they never asked for anything. Her mum get 2000 baht every month from each of her childen and i think thats reasonable. When i am getting merried i have to pay 50000 baht and 5 baht gold. My thai friends says that is normal price to pay in sin sod. So now i am in a situation many farangs have faced. I can not see any danger in getting merried.... WHAT AM I MISSING?????
JensThai

Re: I am getting merried

Postby sulasno on Fri May 29, 2009 5:22 am

Congrats

50000 baht and 5 baht gold seems reasonable for sin sot .............................
sulasno

Re: I am getting married

Postby Sean Moran on Fri May 29, 2009 9:29 am

propaganda wrote:
JensThai wrote:I have been living in Thailand for more than 6 years and i am 38 years old..........
When i am getting married i have to pay 50,000 baht and 5 baht gold. My thai friends says that is normal price to pay in sin sod. So now i am in a situation many farangs have faced. I can not see any danger in getting married.... WHAT AM I MISSING?????

Quite A Lot :lol:
My Thai wife says you're getting a wife too cheap - there's got to be a catch. :shock:
My advice is :arrow:
Wait till the baht crashes and the exchange rate is better and then wait again till you're about 58. :lol:

Don't tell me! Then after the marriage catch the train to Malaysia, right Papa? :lol:

People have been getting married since long before money was invented so don't get caught up in the fundamentals. Just open a Swiss bank account and don't let anyone know how rich you really are and everything should turn out hunky-dory. :lol:

My birthday on the 28th too, two days before the wedding. If I get a new toaster for Christmas or birthday I'll send you another wedding present :cheers:
Sean Moran

Postby Niceguy on Fri May 29, 2009 11:56 am

Jens Thai : "What am I missing?"

Pardon me for saying this, but,

I suspect you're missing 'Love' factor.

I wonder if your fiance did the same thing. Check on your past record... how much she'll get when you two get divorced, etc etc...
Niceguy

Postby BangkokRay on Fri May 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Been there, done that. The first request was dowry money. After the marriage, the requests/demands didn't stop. They got larger and larger as time went on. Finally had enough and called it a day. Paid her off with her own money we saved from joint income.
It seems to be the big bonanza for many from the northeast. Good luck.
BangkokRay

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Fri May 29, 2009 8:31 pm

JensThai wrote:I have been living in Thailand for more than 6 years and i am 38 years old. I read, write, speak and understand thai and Isan. I have checked my gf and she never been merried and have no children. She never worked in any kind of bar enviroment. I have a company where i have some land and 4 houses. I would like to know how to protect my property so in case of divorce she cant get her hands in any of it.

We have planned to get merried 30. december 2009 and i would like to get all the information i can about getting merried and divorced. I am not afraid of getting merried with her and we also want to have children but i want to be up front in this case. She has got 1 brother and 1 sister who already are merried and both of them living a middleclass life and they never asked for anything. Her mum get 2000 baht every month from each of her childen and i think thats reasonable. When i am getting merried i have to pay 50000 baht and 5 baht gold. My thai friends says that is normal price to pay in sin sod. So now i am in a situation many farangs have faced. I can not see any danger in getting merried.... WHAT AM I MISSING?????
When wine turns to "whine"

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE (the Beatles)
I cannot see any danger in getting "merried" either, it's when I sober up I realise the mistake, and normally it's too late then! :cheers: And the best of luck to you!
stilljustbrowsing

Postby villager on Fri May 29, 2009 9:10 pm

BangkokRay wrote:Been there, done that. The first request was dowry money. After the marriage, the requests/demands didn't stop. They got larger and larger as time went on. Finally had enough and called it a day. Paid her off with her own money we saved from joint income.
It seems to be the big bonanza for many from the northeast. Good luck.
Hey Ray , and this is NO BS, when I first met my future wife I informed her in no uncertain terms , that should we get married , (1) no dowery,(2) I was marrying her not all the family and all the "usual " leechlike " hangers on, (3) I DO NOT lend money, ( 4 ) I will treat your family with respect but under no circumstances do I want them "camping" in our house nor raiding my fridge as though it was their divine right that I should provide them with free food and drink,(5) but what I will do is give you a standard of life you could only dream of before you met me which will be the envy of all our village (6) It,s either my way or the highway now take your pick, needless to say we got married in a small village ceremony in April 04 and could not be happier , of course how other,s conduct their live,s is entirely their affair , I only know this, that once they are aware that you have all the "aces" life here is sheer bliss.,Or in laymen,s lingo If i,m paying the piper, I call the tune ,nothing more ,nothing less.
Last edited by villager on Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
villager

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Fri May 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Hey villager if you look elsewhere you may see a similarity regarding this subject AD, AJ, Ian, and a few others! (not sure who resurrected it) :lol: :cheers:
Topic title - How will you ever know?
Last edited by stilljustbrowsing on Fri May 29, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stilljustbrowsing

Postby villager on Fri May 29, 2009 9:24 pm

stilljustbrowsing wrote:Hey villager if you look elsewhere you may see a similarity regarding this subject AD, AJ, Ian, and a few others! (not sure who resurrected it) :lol: :cheers:

Hey SJB, I wrote more or less the same words in BP forum over 3 years ago, my favourite term for the "downtrodden" who abide by the so called Thai /Farang marriage "rulebook" is "human doormat".
villager

Postby villager on Sat May 30, 2009 9:11 am

propaganda wrote:
villager wrote:When I first met my future wife I informed her in no uncertain terms , that should we get married , (1) no dowery,(2) I was marrying her not all the family and all the "usual " leechlike " hangers on, (3) I DO NOT lend money, ( 4 ) I will treat your family with respect but under no circumstances do I want them "camping" in our house nor raiding my fridge as though it was their divine right that I should provide them with free food and drink,(5) but what I will do is give you a standard of life you could only dream of before you met me which will be the envy of all our village (6) It,s either my way or the highway now take your pick, needless to say we got married in a small village ceremony in April 04 and could not be happier , of course how other,s conduct their live,s is entirely their affair , I only know this, that once they are aware that you have all the "aces" life here is sheer bliss.,Or in laymen,s lingo If i,m paying the piper, I call the tune ,nothing more ,nothing less.

keanyow mak mak :lol:

Of course Propaganda this is the usual weak excuse given by the "Downtrodden" when it come,s to standing up to their wife,s family and "usual" hangers on, just cos they have a yellow streak down their back,s a foot wide, I,ve lost count over the years that i,ve seen these weak kneed specimen,s who have the audacity to call their selves"men" complain bitterly that when you marry a Thai lady that you marry the family as well,oh yeah!, been coming here since 89 and lived full time since Nov 03 at the very outset there was no way I was going down the same road to abject misery as these "grovellers", my wife,s standard of living has improved beyond all recognition and she want,s for nothing, it would appear that to the many "doormats" that there is some sort of criteria or "rule book" that has to be strictly adhered to when you marry here , I,ve seen quite a lot who follow this line of thought finish up broken in heart and finance which is not for me in any shape or form, of course as I said before it is entirely a farang,s prerogative how he live,s his life , but when I go out for a drink with the "boy,s" I do not have to ask my wife,s permission for which I,ve lost count how many time,s I,ve witnessed this degrading spectacle, the most sickening thing I witness on a regular basis with some guy,s here is that when she say,s NO believe me it,s no!.
villager

Next

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required