Double pricing system in Thailand

Re: Double pricing system in Thailand

Postby villager on Sun May 31, 2009 9:44 am

mike williams wrote::twisted: Here is the simple answer and the one that I use, DON'T PAY IT, I refuse point blank to visit any park or attraction that uses double pricing and I do not buy the arguement that as Thais earn less they should pay less that is blatant communism, does it also follow that a person earning 100,000 baht a year buy's a pickup for 400,000 but someone earning 1 million a year should pay 4 million for the same pickup just to be fair' that is means testing.
I would like to see my home country UK adopt the same policy for all Thai visitors they must pay at least 5 times the going rate and that includes the Thai owners of restaurants in the UK as well to make it fair for all. :D
The minute a Thai looking person enters a UK shop they will be automatically discriminated against and the normal price will be subject to a 100% help the British poor tax after all if a Thai national can afford to have a holiday in the UK then they easily afford the extra price.
Power to the people, fight back just do not go to any place that adopts dual pricing. :cheers:

Hi Mike , this is a good idea and it has been but forward before with much agreement ,however we in The UK have legislation to prevent this ever happening , much to many UK ex Pats dismay .
villager

Postby Maloch on Sun May 31, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Moa on Wed May 27, 2009 1:31 pm [203.121.133.xx]
Before accusing anyone of double pricing, let's have a reality check...does any foreign 'native' english speakers here...ever complain of getting a bigger chunk of the pie...just how many of them takes home pay that is equivalent to 2-3 months pay of 'local' teachers average pay who are working in the same international school?

In my first teaching job, one of the principals was making snide comments about the foreign teachers' pay. She made it once to often and I asked her if she visited her mother and father. She said yes. I asked her how does she get there. She said by bus. I asked her how much it costs. She said 80 baht. I told her for me to see my mother and father, it costs me 40,000 baht - which was more than 1 month's pay at the time. She never said another word about it to me or any other teacher again. There's a reality check.
Last edited by Maloch on Sun May 31, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maloch

Postby Chaem on Sun May 31, 2009 12:26 pm

The answer is simple. The USA or all countries in Europe for this matter, are Democ. countries.
Racism would be punishable there. Thailand, Red China, Vietnnam, Mynamar etc are not.
Here anything is possible and allowed if only it serves the aim of the reigning government in some way
Chaem

Postby Ian on Sun May 31, 2009 2:26 pm

Having just posted this in another post, "purchasing land in Thailand", I feel my comment is equally valid here. So excuse me for the multiple post but not everyone might read the other topic.

There is a very good logic but it is not Thai logic, it is Chinese logic. Two generations back a flood of Chinese came to Thailand and found a land peopled by simple people, lacking in business acumen. As a result they soon rose to the top, they became the big business tycoons, land owners, politicians etc. Thaksin is a classic example of this. The standard policy, keep the poor in their places, pay low wages and make hugh profits, keep them ignorant.

Then Farangs start to arrive, with business acumen to match the Chinese, educated and not fooled by lies and propaganda. Even worse we set a bad example by paying proper wages to our workers. We talk about education freedom of speech, all the things the Chinese Elite have created here we seem to be trying to undo.

Naturally these Chinese "Thais" will defend their turf, try to keep the western Farangs out, except of course for the stupid tourist, the walking ATM machine. As these Chinese control the government, the Civil Service, then what more logical than to make tighter and tigher restrictions on resident Farangs, including double pricing. Make life intolerable, drive them away.

It's not the Thais that don't want us, it's their controllers the Chinese Thais.
Ian

Postby Maloch on Sun May 31, 2009 2:35 pm

Sean Moran wrote:
Michael Bukit wrote:If all you farangs think the double pricing system is unfair to you, especially those who live and work in Thailand. Then spend a bit of times to find out how much a farang teacher is paid compared with the Thai teacher. Do you know a farang teacher is paid a few times more than a Thai teacher just because they are teaching English? And some of the Thai teachers can be more qualified than farang teacher and they have a lot more works to do than the farang teachers. Like interview student parents, reading reports to student parent, answering student’s parent’s questions, etc..... as all these have to be done in Thai language.

I think some of the best native-English-speaking ESL teachers come from the Philippines, and they can survive fairly well in a foreign country away from their local friends and family quite well on around 25% more than they seem to pay a Thai 1st year graduate, and they know the ins-and-outs of grammar far better than us Australians too.

Paying an extra 180 baht to get into Ko Samet for the weekend is nothing compared to what it costs to survive as an English teacher in a foreign land. :lol:

I think Michael's comment about "just because they are teaching English" ignores the large issue of the desirability of a native born speaker teaching English and exposing the students to foreign culture. If I wanted to learn French - and the biggest center of French culture is ---- FRANCE -------- it is better to have a native speaker from France than from, lets say, Quebec or Congo it most cases.

The price for the farang teacher is set by the market. If it worked for the schools to pay the farang teachers the buck three eighty a month the Thai teachers get, you know the schools would. What the farang teachers get paid for working here is an entirely different issue than the double tiered pricing except for the fact that the market place sets the price. The farang teachers get their pay because that is what is costs the schools to have and keep a farang teacher.

There is double tiered pricing because it works for the Thai. If the double tiered pricing did not work, it would be gone. For national parks and cultural/religious centers - it is probably partly more income and partly a barrier of entry for the backpacker, drop-out farang that are in general less than respectful - and lets face it - a lot of Thais would like all the farang to stay out of the parks, temples, palaces, etc. It is a widely held Thai belief that farang are lower on the karmic cycle simply because they are not Thai - farang "dirty" the temples and palaces just by being there. Since Thais want farang money - farangs are a necessary evil. As for what happens at street stalls - it is pure economics - just like at the schools. You don't want to pay more because you are a farang - pretend you are HiSo and only shop at Paragon and Emporium - They do not have two tiered pricing. And - since the farang teachers make sooo much money - they should be able to afford the big stores.
Last edited by Maloch on Sun May 31, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maloch

Postby villager on Sun May 31, 2009 2:36 pm

Ian wrote:Having just posted this in another post, "purchasing land in Thailand", I feel my comment is equally valid here. So excuse me for the multiple post but not everyone might read the other topic.

There is a very good logic but it is not Thai logic, it is Chinese logic. Two generations back a flood of Chinese came to Thailand and found a land peopled by simple people, lacking in business acumen. As a result they soon rose to the top, they became the big business tycoons, land owners, politicians etc. Thaksin is a classic example of this. The standard policy, keep the poor in their places, pay low wages and make hugh profits, keep them ignorant.

Then Farangs start to arrive, with business acumen to match the Chinese, educated and not fooled by lies and propaganda. Even worse we set a bad example by paying proper wages to our workers. We talk about education freedom of speech, all the things the Chinese Elite have created here we seem to be trying to undo.

Naturally these Chinese "Thais" will defend their turf, try to keep the western Farangs out, except of course for the stupid tourist, the walking ATM machine. As these Chinese control the government, the Civil Service, then what more logical than to make tighter and tigher restrictions on resident Farangs, including double pricing. Make life intolerable, drive them away.

It's not the Thais that don't want us, it's their controllers the Chinese Thais.

Quite correct Ian ,and as we discussed a short while ago if you recall , there is only enough room in the "trough" for the "ethnic Chinese snouts" , who actually run the whole "shabang" here in Thailand.
villager

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Sun May 31, 2009 11:24 pm

The "double pricing" system is global. When I worked as a full time member of a company, I received an annual salary.
When I went "self employed" within the same industry, my earnings potential quadrupled. The Main difference was that being paid by the hour, there was no gaurante of work the next day. (it worked for me, BTW)

MTT: I really am not trying to be mean to you, but i understood the posts until I got to this one. How does it fit in with Double-tiered pricing?
stilljustbrowsing

Postby Moa on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Maloch wrote:

Postby Moa on Wed May 27, 2009 1:31 pm [203.121.133.xx]
Before accusing anyone of double pricing, let's have a reality check...does any foreign 'native' english speakers here...ever complain of getting a bigger chunk of the pie...just how many of them takes home pay that is equivalent to 2-3 months pay of 'local' teachers average pay who are working in the same international school?

In my first teaching job, one of the principals was making snide comments about the foreign teachers' pay. She made it once to often and I asked her if she visited her mother and father. She said yes. I asked her how does she get there. She said by bus. I asked her how much it costs. She said 80 baht. I told her for me to see my mother and father, it costs me 40,000 baht - which was more than 1 month's pay at the time. She never said another word about it to me or any other teacher again. There's a reality check.

I do know if I follow this correctly, since my siblings are working abroad in the USA, and they need to visit mom at home, they should require their employers to handle the burden of paying for their trip by raising their pay more than their local counterparts. Where's the reality in that? You come to work in a foreign land and you expect special treatment? Maybe, unless you were hired directly, then I would understand after the fact, but if you come here on your own accord and looked for employment, then it's a whole different story and we're comparing apples with oranges.
Moa

Postby maithing on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:51 pm

I don`t go inside, :shock: the same price or nothing for the owner :evil:
maithing

Postby nguhao on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:13 pm

When you think that I make about 65-70000 us dollars a year compared to a Thai who makes about 2-3000 dollars a year I dont see a problem. Why should a Thai not be able to go to a national treasure spot cheaper than we pay? We are talking a small amout of money for us so everybody quit whinning about it or just stay home and dont make your self upset about it. Enjoy your vacation without the extra stress. I joke with the collectors about it and get smiles all the time. Its worth a couple of bucks to have a little fun. I went to the hospital in Korat once and for seeing the Doctor and a perscription it cost me almost $10!!! In the US it would have been closer to $100. You also have the ability to bargin when buying things. Offer half of what they want if they wont come down then walk away and most of the time the merchant will call you back with a better offer. :)
nguhao

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns