An interesting journey and revealing facts.

An interesting journey and revealing facts.

Postby Ian on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:47 am

Yesterday I flew back to England, it gave me an interesting insight into the changes affecting Thailand and the world in general.

I had been booked to fly back by Gulf Air but two day before my flight I received an urgent email from my booking agent, "contact the Gulf Bangkok office there has been a major reschedule of your flight". This struck me as strange, if they knew it was rescheduled why could they not tell me themselves.

It was too late to telephone that evening so I rang the next morning. It was indeed a major reschedule, it had been cancelled!! At first they offered me an alternative flight in the very early morning, I said no way I could never get there in time with the Bangkok traffic. So they suggested I turned up next day (my official flight day) at 5.30pm and they would sort something out.

So I did, and they did, I was now flying Qatar Airlines. Now the problems started, I am a "frequent flier" with Gulf so have a better hand luggage allowance, 10kg, Qatar would only allow me the standard 7kg. So I had to empty out 3kg into my gf's bag.

So once I had my boarding passes, I went away from the check-in area and returned the 3kg to my case. But they were not so easily fooled, at the boarding gate my bag was weighed again, naturally it was overweight. :-)

I said a lot of the weight was food and drink I had bought in the Duty free shops, I would go back and sort it out. So I went back upstairs and bought some duty free cigars complete with a carrier bag, then transferred a lot of stuff from my case to this marked duty free bag. I returned to the gate, this time it was ok my case was now 7kg, the carrier bag was bulging but no one commented.

Now this only seems to happen in Bangkok and only with Qatar, other airlines are much more lenient with the rules.

Now why was my flight cancelled? Well it seems no one is flying to Thailand, so they cancelled one of their twice daily flights. You would expect that the qatar flight would be full if it was also carrying Gulf passengers, but no it was literally half full. The airport itself looked half full.

So I flew to Doha instead of Bahrain, the new Doha airport is supposedly better than the old one. Who are they kidding, it is the same as the old one just more spread out and marble floors instead of concrete. The same stupid security checks on transit passengers, poor facilities, toilets, seats, smoking rooms, just a few duty free shops, the same surly officials, Bahrain is paradise in comparison. At the old airport it was a 5 minute walk from the security check to the plane, now it was a 25 minutes bus journey.

Eventually I got on my plane to London, yet again it was half full, obviously this could not be blamed on Thailand, I have to blame the economic turn down. However, there was a good side to this, I was able to claim a block of 4 seats in a row, put up the arm rests and make myself a comfortable bed, so I had a good journey. Another bonus was that the stewardesses had a glut of food and drink, I made rather a pig of myself:-)
Ian

Re: An interesting journey and revealing facts.

Postby Sean Moran on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:15 am

I flew out on Finnair last time I left Suvarnabhumi, and they were really generous with the excess luggage; 23.9 kg was okay with a 20.00 kg limit, but I only carry 3-4 kg cabin baggage. I always wear baggy trousers and a sports jacket on those days so I can fill up all my pockets with a few kg of junk. I only weigh 70 kg so there's plenty of room for more and I can sleep in a single seat. :lol:

I find those smoking rooms really annoying. Don Muang used to have a nice outside bar where you could have a goodbye Thailand drink in style, like Harry's Bar at Changi but not so tropical. I wonderered why you were online so early this morning, and now I realise that it's because you are up late last night. It's just after midnight in London right now, right? :cheers:

<I have a copy of this too btw. :twisted: >
Sean Moran

Postby Ian on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Sean Moran wrote:I flew out on Finnair last time I left Suvarnabhumi, and they were really generous with the excess luggage; 23.9 kg was okay with a 20.00 kg limit, but I only carry 3-4 kg cabin baggage. I always wear baggy trousers and a sports jacket on those days so I can fill up all my pockets with a few kg of junk. I only weigh 70 kg so there's plenty of room for more and I can sleep in a single seat. :lol:

I find those smoking rooms really annoying. Don Muang used to have a nice outside bar where you could have a goodbye Thailand drink in style, like Harry's Bar at Changi but not so tropical. I wonderered why you were online so early this morning, and now I realise that it's because you are up late last night. It's just after midnight in London right now, right? :cheers:

<I have a copy of this too btw. :twisted: >

Well at the moment I am not really jet lagged, more time confused :D England is currently 6 hours ahead of Thailand, so for the next few months my post will probably appear in the small hours of the morning. Regarding smoking rooms, you don't really need to light up in order to get your nicotine ration.
Ian

Postby Sean Moran on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:35 pm

It's actually really good to see that you made the flight so transparently, and so tell me about the swine-flu detectors at Heathrow at 00:00 GMT tomorrow morning. I'm too drunk to remember all that daylight stupid timing right now but it seems that your weekend has just begun, at 09:35 am on a Friday. :lol:. :cheers:

---o0o---

Ian wrote: Regarding smoking rooms, you don't really need to light up in order to get your nicotine ration.

No Ian. Not quite, but I know you understand what I mean.

It is not about nicotine at all. It is about Humphrey frigging Bogart!

Thailand is a very special place to me, just like this land of Australia when I get out of the city.

Whenever I have the bad fortune to have to leave Thai soil to return to the place what brung me there I deserve the right to enjoy one last bia Chang and one last cigarette because Thailand is my Kathryn Hepburn even though I don't have a gf. Just gimmie one last friggin CIGARETTE in peace before I have to risk my life and get on that plane. This is not Garuda Airlines! :lol:
Sean Moran

Postby Sean Moran on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:27 pm

Tommy Edwards
Don't Fence Me In lyrics

Oh, give me land, lots of land
Under starry skies above
Don't fence me in

Let me ride through the
Wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in

Let me be by myself
In the evening breeze
Listen to the murmur