The Value of a Tourist.

Re: The Value of a Tourist.

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:12 am

Yeah seems the "higher" one becomes, the more addictive "it" becomes, and ain't that the truth! :twisted:
stilljustbrowsing

Postby Pinklaopanther on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Surely tourism plays a huge part in Thailands economy. Look at the hundreds of high rise hotels in Bangkok alone, some offering a higher degree of service and interpersonal skills than others. This is not just farang tourists but Japanese and S Koreans and Chinese. I have to say after one year of living and working in Bangkok and having travelled quite a lot around Thailand that this is an amazing place for tourists to see. Regarding the Thai/farang relationship or lack herof, its incredibly complex. There are Thais who naturally look at westerners and ASIAN tourists as walking ATMs and naturally so, this is a POOR country compared to the host countries of most visitors.. But I would hazard a guess that most people who come here have a positive experience and want to come back again. In so many respects its like another planet compared to back home, some threads and blogs on the net imply that the Thais are lacking in respect for tourists and actively dislike them. I would agree to an extent. But I think its a broader Asian phenomenon. Go to Japan, S. Korea etc and you would easily be driven to thinking that the locals dont like you. BUT, its a race thing. People here are more protective of their own way of life and when you get a smile from a local, then you know its genuine and not fake. I cant say I love it here, but I get more from a genuine act of humanity and rapport with a local than I would back home in Blighty. I'm gonna stick it out.
Pinklaopanther

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:40 am

Post removed by SJB for it no longer makes sense as the post refered to has been removed :lol: :cheers:
Last edited by stilljustbrowsing on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
stilljustbrowsing

Postby Sean Moran on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 am

propaganda wrote:
stilljustbrowsing wrote:As such take care of your larynix and ensure you know how to make a paper plane! :lol: :cheers:

Toursts are most welcome in ???? (where all the Simians live) until all their money has been extracted, that is.
It's a wonderworld where you won't be able to understand a single thing they say or write as they have developed along a different path, dimension and time zone. It is fascinating to watch them at work and play, they are like human beings in so many ways. David Attenborough would have a field day here. :lol:
Darwin was looking for the "Missing Link", look no further. :idea:

So you see tourists as a zoological exercise. That's certainly an interesting outlook. In the SAS they call them "meat-bombs" but that's because they tend to leave the plane before it lands. Tourists might be better to associate themselves with some other form of imported produce than bombs, eh? :lol:
Sean Moran

Postby villager on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:52 am

propaganda wrote:
stilljustbrowsing wrote:As such take care of your larynix and ensure you know how to make a paper plane! :lol: :cheers:

Toursts are most welcome in Siam (where all the Simians live) until all their money has been extracted, that is.
It's a wonderworld where you won't be able to understand a single thing they say or write as they have developed along a different path, dimension and time zone. It is fascinating to watch them at work and play, they are like human beings in so many ways. David Attenborough would have a field day here. :lol:

Hey Proppa, i,m happily married to my "missing link" as indeed many others are, it would appear you are now having doubts on marrying yours,LOLOL.
villager

Postby villager on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:39 pm

villager wrote:
propaganda wrote:

Toursts are most welcome in Siam (where all the Simians live) until all their money has been extracted, that is.

Hey Proppa, i,m happily married to my "missing link" as indeed many others are, it would appear you are now having doubts on marrying yours,LOLOL.

Hey Pappaganda, you never ever pass up a chance to belittle this country do you, although the vast majority who live here are as happy as pigs in schit, now you "have a go" at its people who although they have a few faults I would hardly describe them as you have done, after all you did marry one did,nt you , it makes me wonder why you should waste your undoubted talents on us mere mortals in this forum , i,m sure your Islamic friends would appreciate you far more in Malasia .
villager

Postby Sean Moran on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:54 pm

villager wrote:
villager wrote:
propaganda wrote:Toursts are most welcome in Siam (where all the Simians live) until all their money has been extracted, that is.

Hey Pappaganda, you never ever pass up a chance to belittle this country do you, although the vast majority who live here are as happy as pigs in schit, now you "have a go" at its people who although they have a few faults I would hardly describe them as you have done, after all you did marry one did,nt you , it makes me wonder why you should waste your undoubted talents on us mere mortals in this forum , i,m sure your Islamic friends would appreciate you far more in Malasia .

Wasn't it our fine Mz Sweet who first came up with the "man farang/orange man" (simian) delusions? Old hat, read it all before...

What makes me "happy as..." when I am in Thailand somewhat related to the value of a tourist, because for the first time in many years I felt as though I was, (to paraphrase John Irving in Cider House Rules ), "of use".

It's that opportunity to put in more than what you hope to receive in return but to know that there is some correlation between that which you give and that which you receive that made me "happy as ..." because it was trustworthy. That is where the value in what gets off the plane can become an appreciating asset - when you know that what you put in is possibly reasonably realted to what you get out. I learned about all this stuff in school but they never told me I'd have to travel by air to see how it works in real life. :lol:
Sean Moran

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:24 am

Sean, I have asked you this before but youi did not reply, when were you last in Thailand, what year?
Ian

Postby Sean Moran on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:59 am

Ian wrote:Sean, I have asked you this before but youi did not reply, when were you last in Thailand, what year?

You're probably just a bit forgetful, Ian.:roll:
Sean Moran

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:06 am

Sean Moran wrote:
Ian wrote:Sean, I have asked you this before but youi did not reply, when were you last in Thailand, what year?

You're probably just a bit forgetful, Ian and please keep on-topic. :roll:

That comment was predictable, my question was on topic, it was to help me understand why you seem to talk about Thailand as it was years ago rather than now. :cheers:
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns