Any advice on picking schools in Bangkok

Any advice on picking schools in Bangkok

Postby terry on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:39 pm

The international schools are very very expensive in Thailand. Would anyone have some suggestions on good alternatives in Bangkok, if there are any.

Typical Thai schools don't normally receive favourable reviews.

Thank you.
terry

Re: Any advice on picking schools in Bangkok

Postby gladallovva on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:28 pm

Not so handy but I hear good things about tuition and cost wise...

Nantawan Trilingual School
4/5 Moo 5 Soi Watnamdaeng Bangkaew,
10540 Bang Phli, Samut Prakan
p: 662 7536436

NTS is a private school with 350 pupils on its roll. It has an excellent track record (85% on average) in pupil retention. Pupils' ages range from 1 - 13 and study in one of NTS' 4 school sections: Pre-KG, Kindergarten, Primary & Secondary. An approved Cambridge International Centre, NTS offers a Superior English Programme (complemented by additional tuition in Chinese and Thai) for all subjects on an MoE-approved syllabus. Its unique combination of international standards and local fees offer excellent value!
gladallovva

Postby sulasno on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Interesting .............................

just wondering what the costs are like?
sulasno

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:58 pm

When selecting, or trying to select a school in Thailand, just look at the notice boards and see what the predominant language is, that is used on such notice boards. If you don't see a message you clearly understand, in the language you are used to, you are at the wrong school.
stilljustbrowsing

Postby sulasno on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:04 pm

stilljustbrowsing wrote:When selecting, or trying to select a school in Thailand, just look at the notice boards and see what the predominant language is, that is used on such notice boards. If you don't see a message you clearly understand, in the language you are used to, you are at the wrong school.

this is sound advice indeed :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
sulasno

Postby Michael Bukit on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Be very careful when selecting school for your children. Most of the private schools in Thailand are very commercial. Their aim is to make more money instead of educate the students. Especially those claimed that they have English programme.
I know many Thai private schools with Farang teachers. Although my English is not good as English is not my mother tongue, I can tell that those Farang teachers are not qualified English teachers after talking to them. They speak much poorer English than me. And I believe they are not from English speaking country or English is not their mother tongue.
These teachers are here basically just to obtain a work permit in order that they could stay in Thailand with a working visa and enjoy life here. They are not really trained teacher. Beside they are paid better than the qualified Thai teachers. The school owner or principal who hired them they themselves are also very poor in English too. As such they are not able to judge whether they are qualified teacher or not as long as they can speak some English.
The school owner hired them just wants to show the student parents that their school hired farang teachers so they can raise the school fee. Never mind if he or she is qualified or not as long as his or her skin is white. That’s the most importance. But to hire a really qualified teacher they have to pay a lot more.
Some of you may still remember few years back there is an English truck driver from UK wanted by police for molesting few underage girls in his hometown. After he was caught by the UK police and he jumped bail and came to Thailand. He was caught after living in Thailand for 3 years and teaching in one of the private school in Isaan province.
So to select a school for your children’s make sure you checks and talks to the teachers there first before sending them there. Just my simple advised.
Michael Bukit

Postby sulasno on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:55 pm

I wonder would it be possible for me to make an appointment to see the English teacher who is teaching one kid English?
sulasno

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:56 pm

i have checked the homework from several schools of kids learning English, it is obvious which have English English teachers and which have Thai English teachers. :lol:
Ian

Postby dennisf on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 am

Hi, i apologise for changing the subject (slightly - from Bangkok to Isaan); i have a seven year old son with my Thai wife who wants to go back to her village in Si Sa Ket. i wonder about my son who has spent plenty of time out there but is has spent most of his life in England. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge you can share with me as to whether i would be able to find decent and affordable education for him if he moved back with his mother? Any advice much appreciated and again apolgise for veering off Bangkok towards the Northeast.
Cheers
Dennis
dennisf

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in