Is Farang an f word?

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby Eggmeng on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:08 pm

I was taught from an early age "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Oh and by the way, the Romans used to crucify people. ;)
Eggmeng

Postby Filip on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:00 pm

[/quote]I think most Westerners who've lived here for more than a few years are familiar with the origins of the f word, but thanks all the same. I believe the first French were probably called farang because the color of their skin resembled the inside of the fruit. I don't think these facts make the constant modern use of the word to lump all whites together any less objectionable.

I made it clear in my first two posts that I don't expect to convert the entire Thai population to my way of thinking. Nor do I have an urgent need to persuade anyone of anything. I would like to think however, that I might get some of the expat community and the editors of English language publications here, to reconsider using the word in print as though it were perfectly acceptable usage, and thus set a good example.

If after reading my posts in this thread some are not swayed even a little bit, I don''t think anything I might add will change their minds.

And I might have known that as usual, it would be suggested that rather than try to influence a few people in a positive way, I should instead pack up and leave.[/quote]

Excellent post :!:
Filip

Postby luangtom on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:43 pm

farang...mai phen rai
luangtom

Postby puzzled on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:00 pm

The word was first used for the French traders. In the Thai language, there are some words written with a consonant following another consonant and when this occurs it is common to insert a sort of 'uh' or 'ah' sound. That is why we often hear sahtop for stop and Sahpit (long i) for Sprite. Thus, Fahrance. Now eliminate the ending 's' sound since it is not allowed in the Thai language and you get Fahran. Today we write it as faran and sometimes hear that or farang when it is spoken. However, if you think that is the only 'derogatory' term used in Thai or that there are none for other countries in Asia, not so. (Ask a good Thai friend, but usually they are not aware it is derogatory).

Look, it can be used both for good and bad and we use words the same way in English. When you live in a country where people have nicknames like 'pig' and 'fatty' or whatever, you should just stop and realize that they may not think of of words the way you do especially after generations.

Actually, I am never insulted by the word Farang unless they are saying I am French! Then I will get angry. ;)
puzzled

Postby THE DRAGON MASTER on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Hello,
Take a deep breath and relax a little.I live here in thailand (The land of milk and honey) for me.I hear this word every day
maybe half a dozen times or more. I also speak thai very well and live in the country, have for years now. i use the word myself alot. This is no big deal realy,so quit your crying or go back where you came from farang! :lol:
The Dragon Master
THE DRAGON MASTER

Postby massein on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:07 pm

It like being call the N word in the USA but have to except if you want to live here
just return a phoney
Code: Select all
thai smile and say[code] thankyou
massein

Postby Noaksy on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:34 pm

moosatay wrote:"farang kee nok" is not a farang at all. It's a term used to describe Thais who are farang wanna bes. A full blooded Thai who may have lived abroad ( a few years) upon returning to Thailand has adopted the western way of eating, dressing and mixing Thai and English words when speaking.

Hi moosatay,
So when a Thai man looks at a tall, white European man then immediately turns round to his friend or wife and says, 'farang kee nok', he had actually mistaken me for a Thai 'farang wannabe' - a Thai who has dressed up as a tall, white skinned European. Interesting. It must have been that because there was certainly nobody else on the street at the time.
Noaksy

Postby Eggmeng on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 pm

Dear Farang,

You are now living in a country whereby name of all kinds of animals are also used as nicknames. We had people nickname named “moo which it’s pig” “kri which it’s chicken” “peg which it’s duck” etc.. We even call them Khun Moo, Khun Kri or Khun Peg which meant Mr. Pig, Mr. Chicken or Mr. Duck.

Yes, go ahead and call me Bananas. Not big deal. In fact my nickname is Kop which mean frog. If we called you Farang which you said it is a fruit, I guess it is better than name of animal and yet you've felt so offended. Then, let me tell you Thailand is not a place for you. Pack and leave you will feel better and sleep better than living in the LOS.

Dear Chinaman,

Sure, people have all kinds of nicknames in Thailand, and elsewhere too. Some people hate their nicknames and would do anything to get rid of them. But that misses the point, as does the rest of your post, once again. The point is, that when you use a term to lump all people together by their appearance, and you use it constantly to remind them that they are not, and never will be anything but ''others" in your society you are not being brotherly. It''s not the word itself that is objectionable, it's the ways people use it here.

However it's clear you are never going to understand, so I will leave the last word to you if you wish, and other like minded defenders of the f word here.

BTW if you would like to contribute to the fund I am establishing that will help me return to my home country, please send me your email address and I will send you my bank account information. As a matter of fact I am about ready to head back.
Eggmeng

Postby Bangna on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:07 pm

I find this post to be fantastically ludicrous. Equating the banal and benign term Farang with racial slurs for black and Asian people is insensitive at best and patently racist at worst. Farang does not mean "cracker" which is a racist term used for white people. Being called Farang is absolutely nothing like being called "Cracker".

First and foremost, the notion that all Thai people should use a different term for foreigners simply because you find it more agreeable is very cavalier. So many foreigners come to Thailand with very imperialistic ideas. They believe that they know how to do things better than Thai people. If Thailand is so broken and the people so horribly racist and inconsiderate it's hard to understand why someone would stay. Personally, I have found that Thai people are more considerate than Westerners in general and easier to get along with too.

How well do you speak Thai? Can you really claim to pick up the subtleties of the Thai language? Are you offended when people use the "gin" rather than "tan" to refer to eating or "roo" rather than "sap" when referring to knowing? Do you demand to be addressed using the same class of vocabulary that is typically reserved for royalty?

Have you considered that being Farang is associated with being of a higher social class in Thailand? White skin is thought to be beautiful and the fact that you can immigrate to Thailand means that you have wealth and therefore status beyond that of a majority of Thai people. Being Farang usually leads to special treatment and more often than not Thai people will go out of their way to help. It doesn't logically follow that they would use racist slurs to describe those that they perceive as belonging to a higher social class.

The shred of truth hiding behind your bizarre post is that being Farang in Thailand means never truly fitting in. The term Farang, and its frequent use on the street, is simply a reminder that you are different and are not allowed to fully assimilate into Thai culture. I found this to be challanging at times as well. Sometimes I would go for weeks without using English, I lived in an all Thai neighborhood and would sometimes forget just how different I appeared. It was often a shock to catch my reflection in a shop window; a tall white Westerner standing out in a sea of shorter Thai people. That aside, my Thai friends never made me feel like the odd man out and were always kind and considerate. They used the term Farang routinely, as did I, to refer to Westerners visiting or living in Thailand. I never took offense and they never used the term in a way that made it seem derogatory. My point being is that the term isn't a racist one but it does remind us that we are different and at times that s#cks. (hilariously, s#cks was censored by the forum)
Bangna

Postby Eggmeng on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:53 pm

I find this post to be fantastically ludicrous. Equating the banal and benign term Farang with racial slurs for black and Asian people is insensitive at best and patently racist at worst. Farang does not mean "cracker" which is a racist term used for white people. Being called Farang is absolutely nothing like being called "Cracker".

Well, I wrote that I was finished, by your post is deserving of a response. I don't think my views are either ludicrous or bizarre. In fact I know they are shared by many Westerners in Thailand, and I don't think we're all imperialists.

If it helps to put things in perspective, I too speak the language quite well, (and six other languages to varying extents), so I'm not oblivious to linguistic subtleties. And I too have gone for days in Thailand hardly speaking a word of English, especially during the two years I lived in Ranong. So I'm acquainted with many uses of the f word.

First and foremost, the notion that all Thai people should use a different term for foreigners simply because you find it more agreeable is very cavalier. So many foreigners come to Thailand with very imperialistic ideas. They believe that they know how to do things better than Thai people. If Thailand is so broken and the people so horribly racist and inconsiderate it's hard to understand why someone would stay. Personally, I have found that Thai people are more considerate than Westerners in general and easier to get along with too.

Thais do not use the word farang to refer to foreigners, they use it to refer to whites. Do you really not get this? As you have experienced with your Thai friends, often no offense is intended. However the word is often used as a slur.

How well do you speak Thai? Can you really claim to pick up the subtleties of the Thai language? Are you offended when people use the "gin" rather than "tan" to refer to eating or "roo" rather than "sap" when referring to knowing? Do you demand to be addressed using the same class of vocabulary that is typically reserved for royalty?

No, why should these offend me? They are not slurs. As I wrote in an earlier post, all I ask for is the same common courtesy I extend to others. I would not refer to Thais as "Chinamen" simply out of convenience. I would expect that to offend them.

Have you considered that being Farang is associated with being of a higher social class in Thailand? White skin is thought to be beautiful and the fact that you can immigrate to Thailand means that you have wealth and therefore status beyond that of a majority of Thai people. Being Farang usually leads to special treatment and more often than not Thai people will go out of their way to help. It doesn't logically follow that they would use racist slurs to describe those that they perceive as belonging to a higher social class.

I agree with part of what you wrote. In Thailand white = money = higher soclal class = deserving of special treatment. Is that something I should be pleased about and proud of? As for your suggestion that people who automatically place others in a higher social class would not dare to slur them, ever hear of a thing called jealousy?

The shred of truth hiding behind your bizarre post is that being Farang in Thailand means never truly fitting in. The term Farang, and its frequent use on the street, is simply a reminder that you are different and are not allowed to fully assimilate into Thai culture. I found this to be challanging at times as well. Sometimes I would go for weeks without using English, I lived in an all Thai neighborhood and would sometimes forget just how different I appeared. It was often a shock to catch my reflection in a shop window; a tall white Westerner standing out in a sea of shorter Thai people. That aside, my Thai friends never made me feel like the odd man out and were always kind and considerate. They used the term Farang routinely, as did I, to refer to Westerners visiting or living in Thailand. I never took offense and they never used the term in a way that made it seem derogatory. My point being is that the term isn't a racist one but it does remind us that we are different and at times that s#cks. (hilariously, s#cks was censored by the forum)

I don't know what Thai neighborhood you lived in, but it sounds like a very good one, and you sound like a very likeable fellow. Probably more likeable than me.

Here you have hit very close to the truth, and the reason for my intense dislike of how the word is used. You're correct that it s*cks to be constantly reminded that you are an other. I didn't mind it for the first ten years or so I was here, but I have grown weary, very weary of it.
Eggmeng

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in