getting dual citizenship

Re: getting dual citizenship

Postby udonthaniploi on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:12 pm

To whom it may concern:

What you are going to read is my story what happend in order to get my Thai nationalty back......

I am adopted when I was 3 months old from Udon Thani ,Isaan and went to Holland.After 32 years I went to Thailand for the very 1st time and with me just a copy from my Thai birthcertificate, which is a official Thai goverment document.

A friend advised me to reapply for my Thai citizenship, whereas I wouldn't have to make these horrible visa runs and could easily buy a house or land and work without having to go immigration.And forget about all the other rules and regulations! Basically to have and be able to do all the things Thai nationals can do and Farangs can't do.[sorry]

Upon seeing all the benefits of having a Thai ID card and passport, I eagerly agreed, so where to start?
Don't forget, I am for the 1st time back home but surrounded in very much alien enviroment because I have my Thai looks but back then I couldn't speak Thai ,yet alone understand what people where saying to me in Thai, it's like being British but cannot speak English in England or any other country given!What a nightmare that was if you ask me.So from that moment I started then to learn Thai which "was" after all my mother tongue [again] anyway.

So there I was with this piece of paper which would start my adventure to become what I am now, Thai national.....
From the many Isaan people who helped me a lot , who where either working in restaurants or hotels alike
provided me with all the nessary assistence.

Some called relatives, who were working for the goverment and they said it could be done by finding relatives to actually garantee me to the municipalty officer who does the administration for Thai ID cards.

So I just went to the adress stated on my birthcertificate in Udon Thani province and found [after a fashion]the house where I was born with the objective to find my relatives [ = read parents].......And yes , there was this very small lady doing bits and bobs around the house, which is a typical however beautiful wooden house ........I arrived back home aft 32 years to the very house where I was born !!

Could this lady be my mum? Could she even know the people who lived there before her?!What are the chances to that?1000 things crossed my mind what if she doesnt know anything?It was twisting my knickers for a short moment of time but felt like an eternity.

It turned out she was my elderly sister and she didn't really react like westerners do in this rather not everyday situation.
She looked at me and I was told by the friendly Isaan peolpe who picked my up from the airport that she lived there all her life!Ok so I've found my sister...I was told that my biological mom who was still alive ,moved to the city in Udon ages ago to find work.

Because she didn't had a mobile phone then , my sister called the neighbours in Udon who passed her the message after returning home from work.We arranged a meeting the next day at 12.00.Why we couldn't go to Udon there and then is still a mystery to me today but that's typical Thailand.I think my friends who picked me up wanted to go home....

So from that moment on my life changed, from 0 to lightspeed , you name it.
The next day my feelings where all over the place, I just couldn't comprehend what was going on , I'd never felt this feeling before.I felt sad,happy, like a new born baby being born again,having the feeling a loved one passed away or was it just like landing on the moon? A new frontier, astronauts would say.

So we've met , both nearly into tears, I could see the confirmation in her eyes and felt that was my mother indeed....

From there on my new [ reunited] family helped me to get my Thai citizenship back.They originally thought I had to go to the municipality office in the county where I was born.At the municipalty they didn't know what to do in this not everyday rather very rare situation wheras this "Farang" wanted his Thai nationalty back!

What happend next is the quite the opposite what I've been reading in this forum because we simply didn't know how to proceed.There is even a Thai saying : to try and do everthing to get what you want...I got send from A to B and then back again just because apparently "nobody" knew what to do in this special case.

After feeling happy Ifelt like it was going to be impossible to get my ID.However thinking to myself, never give up mate we are nearly there, felt again like waiting for ages and all ! My stephfather went instead to the municipalty in Udon whereas found out that was the place to get my Thai ID card.

After being garanteed by relatives , and showing which is most crucial ,all my official adoption paper to this person I finally got the much wanted Thai ID card! Mission accomplished !

I have currently 2 passports,have dual citizenship and have 2 mothers and 2 fathers ,well technically speaking.
Although I do not know how other countries use their laws , I think and experienced in Thailand you can sometimes expect everything but then again you might end up with nothing at all.Why? The answer is simple , you just don't now what to do.
You don't speak the local lingo, sometimes you'll get frustrated because things are getting done soooo slow while in some countries it can be the contrary.Then again some things are being done in blink of an eye.Isn't this what happens everywhere nowadays?

My advice : if you get stuck and don't know where to go in a foreign country what and where would you go in your home country where everything is "more organised"?Just do the same tactics and you might[?] achieve some results even better yet get a overall 100% score.Most importanly is your intel, how good can you use it for your primary objective?

Another thing was I had to wait 6 weeks to get my Thai ID because it turned out I wasn't just
the only one who wanted the same......

I heard afterwards from a high ranking foreign affairs officer that he had about 200 [ ! ]cases applying on a monthly basis however not everybody qualifies acccording to him however most do.

The End.

From Udon Thani with love, to Amsterdam with happiness.
udonthaniploi

Postby patrickoniam on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:28 am

IM NOT SURE WHAT THE RULES OR REGULATIONS ARE FOR SOME COUNTRIES BUT IM THAI LIVING IN AUSTRALIA AND I HOLD DUAL CITIZENSHIP. I HAVE A THAI PASSPORT AND AN AUSTRALIAN PASSPORT. HAVING READ SOME OF THE POSTINGS ON HERE IT SEEMS THAT ANY COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES DO ALLOW DUAL CITIZENSHIP, AND COUNTRIES LIKE AMERICA DO NOT ALLOW IT. WHICH IS SAD.
IT WAS QUITE EASY FOR ME TO OBTAIN MY THAI PASSPORT, I DIDNT EVEN HAVE MY THAI ID OR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
I JUST TURNED UP AT THE THAI CONSULATE IN SYDNEY WITH A VERY VERY OLD THAI PASSPORT THAT I HAD WHEN I MOVED TO AUSTRALIA. AND THAT WAS PRETTY MUCH ALL I NEEDED. I THINK, DEPENDING ON YOUR COUNTRY'S RULES, YOU JUST NEED TO GO TO THE THAI CONSULATE AND THEY WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED FROM THERE
patrickoniam

Postby Rosie on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Udonthaniploi:

Congratulations, feel so happy for your success!!

I am a 32 yearold girl adopted from Thailand too. I was born in Bangkok.
I am trying to have my thai citizenship back at the moment but i have not found my birth parents.
My papers were all false and the names of my parents in my birth ceritficate are not my true parents.
I guess they were payed to sign.
Was adopted through lawyer Prajak Chouylai in 1976.

My problem is now to find someone who can guarantee or testify that i am the same person as it says in my papers.

It is not easy but i do my best to try.
Have been searching for my family since 2001.
I have been in thailand a few years with my husband and we have a daughter born here as well.:)

Just wanted to gratulate you, i truely feel happy for you!

Take care now!

/rosie
Rosie

Postby packhike on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:02 am

Wow so much confusion about Dual citizenship.

Here is the US State Dept view of Dual Citizenship

Link--http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Article---Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.
packhike

Postby packhike on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:14 am

And on Thai dual citizenship and gaining Thai citizenship.

Link--http://www.thaiembassy.co.za/Workspace/E02.%20Acquiring%20Thai%20Nationality.pdf

Article---Acquiring Thai Nationality: Check out the link for the box format that shows who can become a thai citizen depending upon what nationality the father and mother are as well as where they were born.

Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Thai Citizenship issues

Q. If a person of Thai nationality marries an alien and acquires nationality of
his/her husband/wife, do they lose his/her Thai nationality?
A. The person is still retains Thai nationality unless He/She desires to
renounce Thai nationality by declaring his/her intention to the competent
authority. His/Her Thai nationality is then revoked by the Government of the
Kingdom of Thailand.

Q. If a person of Thai nationality desires to renounce his/her Thai nationality,
what is the process?
A. He/She may file an application stating his/her intention to the Consul. The
Consul will conduct an investigation of the person and his/her witnesses, then
file a report in the application.

Q. Can a person of Thai nationality who has renounced his/her nationality
recover Thai nationality?
A. A person is entitled to apply for recovery of Thai nationality by filing an
application to the Consul.

Q. Can an alien spouse of a person of Thai nationality apply for Thai
nationality?
A. Even though a spouse of a person of Thai nationality is a citizen of a
foreign country, he/she can file an application to the Consul.
authorities.
packhike

Postby packhike on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:25 am

Thai Dual citizenship cont.

Make sure to check out Thai Nationality Act B.E. 2508
You can read the amended parts here--http://burmalibrary.org/docs3/THAILAND's_Nationality_Act.htm

Basically Chpt.2 Section 14 states---
Section 14. A person of Thai nationality, who was born of an alien father and has acquired the nationality of his father according to the law on nationality of his father, or a person who acquires Thai nationality under Section 12 paragraph 2 is required, if he desires to retain his other nationality, to make a declaration of his intention to renounce his Thai nationality within one year after his attaining the age of twenty years, according to such form and in the manner as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

If, after consideration of the said intention, the Minister is of opinion that there is reasonable ground to believe that such person may acquire the nationality of his father or a foreign nationality, he shall grant permission, except in cases where Thailand is being engaged in armed conflict, or is in state of war, he may order the dispensation of any renunciation of Thai nationality

You can read all 3 parts of the act here
Part 1 http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/type,LEGISLATION,,THA,3ae6b4d240,0.html
Part 2 http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/type,LEGISLATION,,THA,3df7765e4,0.html
Part 3 http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/type,LEGISLATION,,THA,3df7765e4,0.html

Legally by the age 20 you have to choose but what happens if you don't choose or say anything?????
packhike

Postby Jason McDonald on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:57 pm

patrickoniam wrote:IM NOT SURE WHAT THE RULES OR REGULATIONS ARE FOR SOME COUNTRIES BUT IM THAI LIVING IN AUSTRALIA AND I HOLD DUAL CITIZENSHIP. I HAVE A THAI PASSPORT AND AN AUSTRALIAN PASSPORT. HAVING READ SOME OF THE POSTINGS ON HERE IT SEEMS THAT ANY COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES DO ALLOW DUAL CITIZENSHIP, AND COUNTRIES LIKE AMERICA DO NOT ALLOW IT. WHICH IS SAD.
IT WAS QUITE EASY FOR ME TO OBTAIN MY THAI PASSPORT, I DIDNT EVEN HAVE MY THAI ID OR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
I JUST TURNED UP AT THE THAI CONSULATE IN SYDNEY WITH A VERY VERY OLD THAI PASSPORT THAT I HAD WHEN I MOVED TO AUSTRALIA. AND THAT WAS PRETTY MUCH ALL I NEEDED. I THINK, DEPENDING ON YOUR COUNTRY'S RULES, YOU JUST NEED TO GO TO THE THAI CONSULATE AND THEY WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED FROM THERE

Isn't it great that a country like muerng Australia allows Thai people to obtain citizenship and live and work in harmony with other Australians as well as keep their cultural heritage and citizenship from Thailand. Australia is the better for this!

Why can't Thailand do the same and allow Australians to become Thai citizens and live and work in harmony with Thais?

Thailand and meurng Australia have a free trade agreement in place but it seems to only work in favour of Thai national exporting goods to Australia.

I would have thought that Abisit being Thai/English would know better. I had great hopes for him being able to drag Thailand into the 21st century but it appears even he can not do anything to change the direction of this juggernaut. It is holding Thailand and its people back from obtaining the riches that they deserve.
Jason McDonald

Re: getting citizenship

Postby jeffmaa on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Hello

I am presently holding an Indian Citizenship, and now residing in Thailand on a non immigrant visa............ My Mother originali Thai, then after marrying my father who was an Indian, she changed her nationality to Indian, to ease her problems, staying in India, while we were graduating at schools and colleges....After few years she regained her citizenship , and once again became a Thai Citizen. My father who was originally an indian, became a thai , and passed away in Bangkok, few years back.

Now that I have returned back to my mother's land, and i am already 58 years old.... I am trying to become a Thai Citizen to do some business as a Thai, rather than doing it as a foreigner, to avoid many obstacles in business. My wife is a Thai citizen, so are my all childrens Thai Citizens, and working in Thailand.

I am facing lots of problems in getting a Thai citizenship due to fact, that some old records at birth of my mother , who was born in the northern province of Thailand, cannot be availed from the concerned ministrial office, due to reasons beyond our control as very difficult to obtain Old records of 1930's and 40's and 50s'

Case pending - don't know the outcome, whether it will be favorable or not......Can I be guided to ease the procedures and the right channel to go around resolving the issue.

Thanking you in advaonce
jeffmaa

Postby phuket711 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:37 pm

hello friends , I hope you can help me too as I am living in Phuket,Thailand 15 years Thai wife, 2 kids 10 and 12 years old , I am getting marrige visa last 12 years never apply for Resident permit , as someone told me I can apply Thai citizenship direct from consul or Santibaan ? Is that True ?
Thank you very much friends..
phuket711

Postby komson on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:49 pm

Hello everyone,

A few years ago I decided to find out for myself if it is possible to obtain a Thai Passport. As being adopted at an age of two by Dutch parents. By doing so I obtained Dutch citizenship. I contacted the Thai embassy in the Netherlands and prompted the question.
From being adopted I had a Thai passport, because when I was adopted, I had to travel from Thailand to the Netherlands. That passport my adopted parents always kept as memoirs. With that passport and copies of my birth certificate (which misses crucial information and are fake as well). But as provable born as a Thai it was my right to collect a Thai passport once again. According to the embassy I never lost my Thai citizenship, I only had to renew my Thai passport.

Sincerely,

Komson
komson

PreviousNext

Return to Visa / work permit / resident / citizenship / dual passport - what's required