Turning your house into a shop

Turning your house into a shop

Postby Andy781 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:19 pm

I have just brought a house in a village preuksa village been here 3 months nice and quite apart from the Thais little yappy dogs that bark to much... I have just discovered the house opposite me is having building work done they will turn it into a little shop , this makes me very angry as the noise levels will go up , kids hanging around , mopeds up & down ect ect & my wife is expecting a baby.
He is doing this without permission from preuksa village is there anything I can do to prevent this going ahead ?
Andy781

Re: Turning your house into a shop

Postby thompson on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:34 pm

by Andy781 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:19 pm
I have just brought a house in a village preuksa village been here 3 months nice and quite apart from the Thais little yappy dogs that bark to much... I have just discovered the house opposite me is having building work done they will turn it into a little shop , this makes me very angry as the noise levels will go up , kids hanging around , mopeds up & down ect ect & my wife is expecting a baby.
He is doing this without permission from preuksa village is there anything I can do to prevent this going ahead ?

You didn't mention what kind of shop it is? Grocery, steel fabrication, motorcycle repair, etc

Why don’t you see what your village community association has to say for a start!
thompson

Postby overhaul38 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:04 am

Andy781 wrote:I have just brought a house in a village preuksa village been here 3 months nice and quite apart from the Thais little yappy dogs that bark to much... I have just discovered the house opposite me is having building work done they will turn it into a little shop , this makes me very angry as the noise levels will go up , kids hanging around , mopeds up & down etc etc & my wife is expecting a baby.

Please be assured that he has permission from Preuksa village. He paid his bribe and will build his shop. I can't believe that you have lived in Thailand for any length of time and still believe in fairness. They practice the golden rule in Thailand...he who has the gold makes the rules. Put that over the bar in your new home.
overhaul38

Postby mike williams on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:46 am

Andy781 I wonder how long you have been living here? this is perfectly normal practice for Thais they do it all the time it is part of their industrious nature and culture, where I live we have a hairdressers, Internet cafe,massage parlour, 3 grocery shops and others all around me.
If you do not like it then I suggest that you move to be in an uninhabited area as you will not stop this from happening especially if the person has paid their tea money to the relevant government official.
mike williams

Postby Eggmeng on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Yes there is wide scope for this sort of thing, but there are also limits.

We live in a modest gated community. There is security and a small shared swimming pool but it's far from hi-so. Most of our neighbors are middle class Thai business owners who like my partner, have bought one of the 80 small townhouses in our complex.

Early on, one of them installed some massage beds in the ground floor and put up a sign outside advertising services. No one complained. Who they thought their customers would be I have no idea. Our complex is at the end of a dead end street and there is no traffic whatsoever except for the residents and the occasional mobile vendor.

But when her husband started a metal fabrication business and was laying his work out in the street - grinding and welding daily in the same area where the children play, I went straight to the developer who fortunately still maintains a sort of management presence. He put the kabash on the metal shop immediately.

That was last year. The half-wit who thought he could get away with this has not spoken to me or met my gaze since, but I could not care less.

You must and you can in some cases, draw the line.
Eggmeng

Postby cozza on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Andy781 wrote:I have just brought a house in a village preuksa village been here 3 months nice and quite apart from the Thais little yappy dogs that bark to much... I have just discovered the house opposite me is having building work done they will turn it into a little shop , this makes me very angry as the noise levels will go up , kids hanging around , mopeds up & down ect ect & my wife is expecting a baby.

Don't let anyone step on you but be cautious...life is cheap in Thailand. Make sure you know what your getting into.

I think the idea of sounding out the other village members would be your best course, but even then do it softly-softly & politely. Be careful not to make anyone lose face.
cozza

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns