get married in Thailand

RE: get merried in thailand by july

Postby Rooster on Thu May 20, 2004 1:56 am

Thai government does not care about this, since the formal wedding took place in the foreign country. You do not need to tell them, the local official.
Rooster

RE: RE: get merried in thailand by july

Postby sly on Mon May 31, 2004 11:33 pm

i see, but there is any documents they need to bring down there and they only have 7 days to stay there in thailand on this coming july 2004..

thanks
sly

Postby Rooster on Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:49 am

They need to bring travel documents with them like passport, picture ID, and credit cards (as identification only). They should have their certificate translated into English and other home language. If they have family member in Thailand, they can use their address as residency address or foreign address on ID card. You need to have someone to help you translate your conversation at the Amphur with the officials. You can find a translator at the same office where you will make certificate translation. If you are staying at a hotel, you can e-mail the manager to help make arrangement for you. Most good hotels will have this type of services.
Rooster

Postby luang on Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:39 am

Firstly the so called facts for legal marriage listed here are WRONG.
Go see at thailandweddings.com

They offer real tradtional Thai weddings as well.
luang

Postby Zemran on Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:49 pm

I love a good bit of arrogance :) You have read a web site and now think you know more than people who have done it... Can you enlighten us about where you think we have gone wrong? Are you going to try and tell me that my marriage is not legal? I think you are an interesting person and feel that you should spend more time here.
Zemran

Postby abdo on Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:14 am

i love you abdo how are you are you okey

abdo

dowry

Postby farang on Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:42 pm

Can you help me learn about the Thai custom of giving a dowry to a Thai woman's family for marriage? What amount is appropriate? Any help would be most appreciated, Thanks
farang

RE: dowry

Postby Rooster on Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:56 pm

You need to go to "Paying the Old Laid" section under this topic. PoorButHappy has listings on what you want to know.
Rooster

RE: dowry

Postby Ian on Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:51 pm

You have to be very careful about this. A lot of tricks are played against farangs in modern Thailand, beginning with this "dowery"/ bride-price system. Though sometimes it works well.
Be well aware that : 1) foreigners can not own land, 2) foreigners can only own 49% of a company, 3) that Thai police usually take the Thai person's side, and anyhow want money for whatever they do, and 4) that all of the above are means by which many, many farang are fleeced by their Thai wife's family - to the point of economic ruin for the farang : after which the woman moves on to her next, unsuspecting victim.
Ian

RE: get merried in thailand by july

Postby Graham on Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:14 pm

I think a foreigner marrying a thai probably wont work. I remember having an affair with a lady - she was getting divorced at the time; even her daughter was scared of the father; we lasted about a year, but in the end it didnt work - cultures too different.
Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required