Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby faranginkorat on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:56 am

ThaiPride:

Or maybe you are making up your story just to get us to respond?

50K baht is a typical income for an agriculturally employed family in Isaan for 2 years!

I know a starch factory manager with engineering and MBA degrees supervising 400 employees and 500 million THB of working capital who makes 50K THB per month.
faranginkorat

Postby Michael Bukit on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 am

Hello!!! ThaiPride,

I would like to call you BritPride instead. You are such a generous Brit that you should be proud of and to call you BritPride other will know that you are a British. I am sure your wife family must be very proud of their Brit son-in-law for your generous contribution to your extended Isaan family. May I ask did you pay them in cash on the wedding day? Did they count them in front of all their guests? If they did the news must had spreads faster that CNN and BBC in the whole chang wat if not must be at least the ampur or Tamboo.

Of course it is your money you had the right to spend/give what/how you want as long as you are happy. 1 million baht sin sord to a poor bargirl from Isaan and 50K baht per month for expenses will make the wife family into a Hi-so people in their village. And soon every girl in your wife village/tamboo will not be interested in Thai man anymore unless they can afford something close to that. The girls will be going all the way out to look for farang man. And farang man willing to marry Isaan girl will have to pay more in the future. Inflation, inflation, inflation.

You are right to say that 'bride wealth' is the South East Asian custom where the family of the bride receives gifts and wealth from the family of the groom. In Isaan custom/tradition, it is also the girl duty to support and look their parent. Coz groom is married into the bride family. Here I wish you all the best for your newly established family. God bless you.
Michael Bukit

Postby KennyG on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 am

@Thaipride.
Don’t worry about what these other people are saying. If you are happy then you are happy. I wish I was as happy as you sound.
The last post saying you should be called ‘BritPride’ is probably correct, be proud. I have numerous friends back home in the States who have spent a lot more money on their dowry and still send a lot more than you each month. And they are some of the happiest men I know.
I do worry that maybe your wife will struggle with the immigration laws in Britain now, especially with the new government clamping down. I have a very similar story to yours (not yet married) but I am very happy that back home in the States (St Louis) we don’t have any laws like this, just open doors to help us old romantics.
I’m not as expert, but I think you have had a stroke of luck with paying 1 million, I read the post from ‘beau58’ saying that their friend had spent 999,999,999 baht, well, yes the number 9 is lucky in Thailand, but a dowry ending in an odd number is seen as unlucky….. at least you were culturally aware enough to do that!
KennyG

Postby MICHAI on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:01 am

Hello,You're having good Expo!The Asean women married with the Frang ther're critique sometime,nowday there're lots of hybrid Asean-Frang but they're not likes Indochine.the banned to married da wallet, frang said. :?
MICHAI

Postby Voice on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 am

Well one million baht is only 20 thousand pounds at least it not a million pounds. So would he be marrying her (a bar girl) for a million pounds in the UK? I think he has it cheap like he said.
Voice

Postby susiQ on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:23 am

thank you voice. sorry things didn't work out between you an & your ex- future mother-in-law from thailand. I think the whole idea about dowry is for the wedding expenses & then the parents would give some to their daugther to start a new life with her husband. centuries went by, seems like parents are selling their daughters.
I agree with michael bukit, nowadays more & more thai girls are looking for loaded foreigners. they want to hit jackpot like some lucky girls out there( thaipride's wife for example).they dream they could be the one.It's very awkard when I saw young girls in my daughter's age with an old man my dad's age all over pattaya.
It's just the way it has been forever for the children to take care of their parents in thailand because most of them are in poverty or borderline. no health plan, no pension, no retirement plan no nothing. so, you do what you've got to do to survive. Love is the key if you really know what love is. at some point you have to sacrifice for the people you love but be careful, don't let things get out of hands or overdo it.
Last edited by susiQ on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
susiQ

Postby Voice on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:38 am

You’re right there susiQ it begin to hit our culture when last years some media did an interview with a girl age eight years old from Issan. They ask her what would like to do when you grow up. Her reply was I want to have farang husband. To everyone surprise they ask her why. Her reply was I saw my neighbour have farang husband and his wife got new car new house and lots of money, so want to be like that too. It is really kinda sad to hear something like that from a child.

Culture shock? No, it kinda sad!
Voice

Postby ThaiPride on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:27 pm

Just a simple observation, I noticed that many belittle an older foreign, white, man in Thailand dating a younger girl. Everyone should stop looking at the white people and their actions and think about where they are learning it from. We see these older Thai men with young women, not daughters but girlfriends, all over Thailand. Is it so wrong when a white man does it too? I'm just living the dream before I die.

If you have the money to spend, do it. Have a great time. I'm just embracing the culture. :P
ThaiPride

Postby susiQ on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:53 pm

I don't mean to offend anyone thai or farang men. Her whole family is lucky to have thaipride.You're happy, she's happy, they're happy and I wish you happiness forever.However how can I embrace this kind of culture? Plenty of girls out there are mistresses as long as they have money coming every month, they don't care. I don't know how many more generations we have to go through to hear them little girls saying when I grow up, I wanna be a teacher, doctor, engineer etc. Everybody has a choice and most likely people tend to take easy way out. When I was in my late 20's heart broken, lonely, living in the US. An asian man about my age, had a good job & I got along well with his family opened his arms for me but I didn't love him & I said I would get out of asian community to find new friends & he said something about american men are diffrent, they just want to sleep with you & live together. I told him there're good & bad people everywhere you go no matter what they look like. Later on a nice man in his 60's was interested in me,he could have provided me everything. I probably wouldn't have to lift a finger. NO, I told him I want a family with kids so we just stay friends.To make a story short, I have a husband my age, gave birth to 2 daughters one in colorado one in california.It was hard because I was pretty much on my own because my husband was gone a lot ( active duty military). I was a stay home mom for 9 years to raise my kids. Now looking back, I'm proud of myself I did it. We have a nice home, good kids,stable jobs ( I think...unless government goes broke). We do have to work a little bit longer to put the kids through college & for ourselves when we're older.
Anyway life is tough!! everybody has to put a lot of work into it but with money it makes the work a lot easier,doesn't it?
susiQ

Postby ThaiPride on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:11 am

There is nothing to say but 'thank you' susiQ. I think you summed it all up. Thank you again.
ThaiPride

PreviousNext

Return to Thai news stories