Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby Voice on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 am

Moxhambi wrote “beau58 what's up with you? Had a bad experience? You act like those Bangkok HiSos looking down your nose at the poor. Got to control everything and everything has to be the way you say. I say, marry who you want, give you money to who you want.


Yes perhaps you right about what you said above but since I started to give free legal advice the most problem I heard is Farang has bee cheat by a wife. So I suppose it no one to blames if that the way you advice them to be. Most farang were left with nothing and some thought they were married and later found out they weren’t married at all. So let’s say that if you’re aware of your own situation then you could be quite safe. Please remember this that the law can protect you if you do thing according to the law. So seek advice before you sign anything or buy anything large enough that require the law.
User avatar
Voice
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby susiQ on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:52 am

Exactly right! You worked hard all your life for everything that you have now, so do not get screwed.
When you're in love, you think you've found a winner. Until the whole thing blows up in your face,then you'll have to deal with it & move on instead of looking for someone to blame or getting mad at the world.
User avatar
susiQ
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby beau58 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:34 am

moxhambi wrote:beau58 what's up with you? Had a bad experience? You act like those Bangkok HiSos looking down your nose at the poor

No. never had a bad experience.
I just look down on guys who take the easy road and marry bargirls, because gawd knows, they won't get rejected, will they? They lack the where-with-all and guts to make the effort to meet decent Thai girls, who are more educated, more intelligent ,more interesting, better looking and considerably more polite and better behaved, than the dreck one meets in bars.
While I pity the poor people in Isaan to a certain extent (btw, not everyone in Isaan is an uneducated, poor farmer), I also am well aware that they don't make much effort to improve themselves. They have little interest in education, which is why Isaan has the highest number of dropouts in the country. Rather than learn new farming methods, they exhaust their land and then expect the government to bail them out with handouts. This is why they loved Mr. T so much because he treated them like children, throwing money at them instead of improving the infrastructure and education system in Isaan that would teach them how to be self-sufficient.
moxhambi wrote:]I would guess your not doing well financially and so rather than improve your own situation ( have have to deal with your own shortcomings), you chose to play the wise all knowing expat who's seen it all.

Rather presumptuous of you. I was always quite successful when I lived in Thailand, working first for The Nation and then becoming one of the highest paid academics in the country. When I taught at Chula, I made more money than my dean (a Thai). I'm an "all knowing expat" because, unlike most Farang, I actually have researched in depth, and also taught Thai culture and society at university here. I didn't garner my knowledge sitting on a bar-stool at Nana, but by actually interacting with regular Thai people every day. I have never lived in expat enclaves, but always in Thai neighborhoods, where I had to speak Thai with the people around me. BTW, I also speak passable Isaan, which can't be said for the vast majority of Farang who live in the heart of Nakhon Nowhere, Isaan.
I left Thailand, the end of last year, after 13 years and am now myself, a university dean in the UAE, making heaps of money.
moxhambi wrote:Not speaking the language should not be a bar to getting a Visa from another country. The people from many part of Isan only have limited contact with foreigners (unless they work in the HiSo controlled brothel industry) and the language teachers are of dubious quality. So where is one to get a passable knowledge of a foreign language at an affordable price?

I agree with you here. Language teachers at Thai schools, particularly in Isaan are quite abysmal, being that most are local teachers, who have poor language training, themselves. Language schools with native-speakers are financially out-of-reach for many Thais, not just in Isaan. Given that English is the official second language of the country, the Ministry of Education needs to get serious about English-language training and pay decent salaries to qualified native speakers. However, there also needs to be a fundamental shift in attitude of Thais in general and people in Isaan, in particular about English language acquisition. If poor Isaan girls could speak English properly, they could emulate Filipinas and go abroad to work in places like the UAE and the rest of the Gulf, instead of becoming bargirls. The comparatively few Thai girls (99% Isaan) I’ve seen in the Gulf are massage girls and hookers because they have poor English skills and education and, therefore can’t do anything else.
I suspect the new visa rules requiring language proficiency in the host country has an undercurrent of xenophobia and elitism, and is to prevent girls of dubious backgrounds from gaining residency. Let’s face it, the vast majority of Thai girls one encounters living abroad, especially in Europe are former bargirls and not exactly the types of girls to whom most nations want to grant entrance.
User avatar
beau58
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby KennyG on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:54 am

If people will insist on talking about their wealth, especially the ones that have spoken negatively about ThaPride, and then go onto to boast of their riches and their knowledge of the country, will they acknowledge that financially, thinking of ThaiPride's business enterprise, that he has done exceptionally well?

Keep it up ThaiPride, there are people out there that need you!!
User avatar
KennyG
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby susiQ on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:34 am

beau58 wrote:
moxhambi wrote:beau58 what's up with you? Had a bad experience? You act like those Bangkok HiSos looking down your nose at the poor

No. never had a bad experience.
I just look down on guys who take the easy road and marry bargirls, because gawd knows, they won't get rejected, will they? They lack the where-with-all and guts to make the effort to meet decent Thai girls, who are more educated, more intelligent ,more interesting, better looking and considerably more polite and better behaved, than the dreck one meets in bars.
While I pity the poor people in Isaan to a certain extent (btw, not everyone in Isaan is an uneducated, poor farmer), I also am well aware that they don't make much effort to improve themselves. They have little interest in education, which is why Isaan has the highest number of dropouts in the country. Rather than learn new farming methods, they exhaust their land and then expect the government to bail them out with handouts. This is why they loved Mr. T so much because he treated them like children, throwing money at them instead of improving the infrastructure and education system in Isaan that would teach them how to be self-sufficient.
moxhambi wrote:]I would guess your not doing well financially and so rather than improve your own situation ( have have to deal with your own shortcomings), you chose to play the wise all knowing expat who's seen it all.

Rather presumptuous of you. I was always quite successful when I lived in Thailand, working first for The Nation and then becoming one of the highest paid academics in the country. When I taught at Chula, I made more money than my dean (a Thai). I'm an "all knowing expat" because, unlike most Farang, I actually have researched in depth, and also taught Thai culture and society at university here. I didn't garner my knowledge sitting on a bar-stool at Nana, but by actually interacting with regular Thai people every day. I have never lived in expat enclaves, but always in Thai neighborhoods, where I had to speak Thai with the people around me. BTW, I also speak passable Isaan, which can't be said for the vast majority of Farang who live in the heart of Nakhon Nowhere, Isaan.
I left Thailand, the end of last year, after 13 years and am now myself, a university dean in the UAE, making heaps of money.
moxhambi wrote:Not speaking the language should not be a bar to getting a Visa from another country. The people from many part of Isan only have limited contact with foreigners (unless they work in the HiSo controlled brothel industry) and the language teachers are of dubious quality. So where is one to get a passable knowledge of a foreign language at an affordable price?

I agree with you here. Language teachers at Thai schools, particularly in Isaan are quite abysmal, being that most are local teachers, who have poor language training, themselves. Language schools with native-speakers are financially out-of-reach for many Thais, not just in Isaan. Given that English is the official second language of the country, the Ministry of Education needs to get serious about English-language training and pay decent salaries to qualified native speakers. However, there also needs to be a fundamental shift in attitude of Thais in general and people in Isaan, in particular about English language acquisition. If poor Isaan girls could speak English properly, they could emulate Filipinas and go abroad to work in places like the UAE and the rest of the Gulf, instead of becoming bargirls. The comparatively few Thai girls (99% Isaan) I’ve seen in the Gulf are massage girls and hookers because they have poor English skills and education and, therefore can’t do anything else.
I suspect the new visa rules requiring language proficiency in the host country has an undercurrent of xenophobia and elitism, and is to prevent girls of dubious backgrounds from gaining residency. Let’s face it, the vast majority of Thai girls one encounters living abroad, especially in Europe are former bargirls and not exactly the types of girls to whom most nations want to grant entrance.
User avatar
susiQ
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby Rasken on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:22 am

To the main subject: Language test for thais who want visa for England or Germany:
I am a Norwegian who are married to a thai woman and I'm glad we have a different system i Norway. If you come to Norway for family reason then you must take 250 hours in Norwegian language. This is of course free. If you feel you need it, you can get 3000 hours for free. In addition to that: during the course you get the chance to pratice in different companies where you later on might get hired. Should we take the German system, then there would not be many thai in Norway. I think it is arrogance with such demands. The thais that comes to Norway get well integrated during and after fullfilling the cources.

In this forum there also have been said much about thai women, especilly women from Isan. My experience is that thai, include isans, are as individual as any other population. It is ignorant to say anything about a persons personality on the basis of their origin or education/lack of education. I know people with education and an ignorant apperance and vice versa. I all depends of who you really are, not social class or geografic origin.
My wife is a nurse, but her family are poor farmers. When we married money was never an issue. Of course there is this dowry, but that is often only a social thing to show the neighbours that their daughter married a decent man. We all (me and my sisters family) put money in the basket and later we get our money back. My mother in law had no wish for money for her self, only that I promised to take care of her daughter.
As a man round 60 I never looked for a young girl. Yes, have a night with a young and pretty girl might be exiting, but live with every day? I have no need to look down on men who does, but that is not my cup of tea. Also, I'm not interested in having more children and with what right have I do deny a young girl that privilege? Besides: If you are 60 and can get a girl 25 in a poor country, but not in your own country, what does that tell you?
Any way. To the main subject: Find a man from another country than GB or Germany, Khun Noy. :D To the latter: All people are unique. Don't ever categorize individual after their origin or ofther group-identificators. There are good and bad people in all categories/nationalities. I also have read some ciriticism of some participants here. Bear over with me, I'm not a native english speaker.
User avatar
Rasken
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby MICHAI on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Genuinely Concern!Apology for bother this topic
I am curisouly thre're many E-San women are married to the foreigner,many fo them that i met in Europe and elsewhere they're not genuine Thai, but Laos women they're speaking not the same dialect like Ppl in Bangkok, I am sorry to ask this question because i've seen this pictures alots,When i was in your country???
Sol( Genuinely)100% transplant... :?
User avatar
MICHAI
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby beau58 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 am

MICHAI wrote:I am curisouly thre're many E-San women are married to the foreigner,many fo them that i met in Europe and elsewhere they're not genuine Thai, but Laos women they're speaking not the same dialect like Ppl in Bangkok


Very few people in Thailand are "genuine Thai". It's one of the great myths perpetuated and systemized by the dominant Thai establishment centred in Bangkok and the central plains, the traditional home of the ethnic Thais. In reality, the country is actually ethnically and linguistically quite diverse. For example, the Isaan language is predominately drawn from Lao, although itself broken down into many regional dialects. Also, in parts of Isaan, such as Buriram and Surin people speak Mon-Khmer and in places like Udon Thani and Nakhon Phanom they speak Nyaw.

While Thais consider Thai superior to Isaan-Lao, which they somewhat derisively see as merely a Northeast dialect mixing Thai and Lao, it's actually Thai that is more likely a dialect of Lao, than a separate language.

Among the many other languages and dialects spoken are Southern Thai, Lanna (Northern Thai), Yawi-Malay, Phuan, Lua, Shan, and Thai Dam.

The truth is, the further one gets from Bangkok, the less successful proper Thai language acquisition becomes as the regional languages and dialects are the local lingua franca. In Isaan, or Lanna (Northern Thailand), Thai is seldom spoken, unless to Thais who are from outside the region. Then Thai becomes the common language out of necessity more than desire. Therefore, is it any wonder that learning other languages such as English becomes a major challenge for the majority of the people.
User avatar
beau58
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby Voice on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:29 pm

Rasken free language lesson also apply in Denmark and Sweden as far as I know. It could be good if other countries could follow good example like your country.
User avatar
Voice
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby susiQ on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:45 am

Good Theory! But people over here rather go straight to free money than free lesson.
User avatar
susiQ
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am

PreviousNext

Return to Thai news stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests