Airport Link opens

Airport Link opens

Postby david on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:54 pm

The new airport rail link opens August 23 and Only three problems impede its linkup with the skytrain and the underground?

Once these issues are sorted out, however, the benefits for Bangkok's tourism industry will be phenomenal?

The airport link will be good for single travelers, but for 2 or more people, price wise, taxi is still best.

On a positive note, apparently the rail link terminal is situated right under the airport.

I read where the City Line which makes eight stops across town has fares starting at 15 baht. So eight stops at 15 baht would be 120 baht for the whole journey, as opposed to 150 for the express. Wonder what the time difference is?

Anyone ridden the train during the testing phase? It's been open to the public for trial runs.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tou ... sm-bonanza
david

Re: Airport Link opens

Postby Baster_Hobnail on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:32 pm

I read the same article and took things differently. I think the 15baht ticket is a flat rate for the first few months while they iron out any problems and maybe to encourage people to 'try it out'. The lowest fair on the BTS is 20 baht, but they do not charge 20 baht per station. Even if the journey is the same price as as a taxi, I would prefer the safety and speed of the train every time.

The real issues are the lack of thought put into people moving luggage, but then these things will be dealt with as they are seen to be causing problems. Give it a year and it will be a good service.

I just hope they tone down the advertising which blights the BTS.
Baster_Hobnail

Postby modsquad on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:38 am

The Airport Link's City Line and Express Services will run every 15 minutes.

Both services will operate from 6am to midnight

The City Line will make eight stops across Bangkok starting from Phayathai before heading to the airport.

Passengers wanting to connect with the BTS Skytrain must get off at the Phayathai stop, while the Makasan station is the connection for the MRT underground.

Click on the link (below) to see a layout of the two lines.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transpo ... t-link-map
modsquad

Postby david on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:05 pm

Quite a number of international flights arrive at approximately 11 pm to midnight. By the time passengers on those flights get through immigration, the service will be closed.

Should run till 2am!
david

Postby Victor on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:58 pm

david wrote:

Quite a number of international flights arrive at approximately 11 pm to midnight. By the time passengers on those flights get through immigration, the service will be closed.

Should run till 2am!

Agree. And I think the operator of the line will surely extend the service to cover the late late flights in no time once they see the demand. But don't hold your breath waiting because the Thai Railways who owns the line still work with the last century mindset.
Victor

Postby charliechang33 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:09 pm

Airport Link is definitely a much better option for travelers with light luggage.
The price is just fine too.

I surely don't need to worry the taxi driver taking me for a joy ride.
charliechang33

Postby Victor on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:21 am

A warning about using metered taxis........

Some of them, and I know this for a fact, tampered with the meter and should be reported to the police, or at least note down the number and ask someone to do it for you if you don't have the time.
Victor

Re:Airport Link opens

Postby gipchimsa on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:42 pm

I want to give it a try and will probably do so when I return to BKK for the Euro winter (Ugh.)

Taxis are getting a pain, or at least getting a meter was quite hard on my last visit and limo prices are a scam.

I also like the time for the Express service as I always seem to sit in rush hour trafiic as the taxi nears my apartment (Ekamai.)

I would appreciate some information from those who have used the Express service. Mainly because I have big luggage and a slight disability.

(1) I have read that it is easily accessable from the airport arrivals hall. Is this fact?

(2) Because the Link is apparently basement level, are there lifts (elevators) as well escalators (moving stairways) on entrance and exit to the facility? Escalators are a nightmare with cases and a walking problem.

(3) Does the Express get busy between noon and 5pm ie. enough to make juggleing with suitcases a problem.

(4) Are there plenty of meter taxis waiting around Makassan as yet, as you would expect at any rail terminal?

I would be very grateful for any input for any of the above considerations.

RW (UK.)
gipchimsa

Postby modsquad on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:24 am

From a Post reader:

I recently had the misfortune to take the new Airport Express from Suvarnabhumi to my home near Sukhumvit Soi Thonglor. Although the train is indeed fast and modern, the connections on both ends made the trip extremely unpleasant in terms of comfort and convenience, especially when travelling with luggage.

First, at Suvarnabhumi one cannot take the luggage trolley up to the train platform, which is very inconvenient if travelling with heavy bags. On the city line the seats are narrow and uncomfortable and there is nowhere to stow luggage except in the first and last carriages.

On arrival at Makkasan station, again there are no luggage trolleys available and negotiating the escalators with multiple pieces of luggage is challenging, to say the least. There were no taxis available at the station and even if there were, they could only exit onto Ratchadapisek Road in the direction of Huay Khwang. Instead, I had to walk on the road (of course there are no sidewalks) and over a railway line dodging cars and motorbikes for about 300 metres to reach the MRT station.

Again, descending the escalators with luggage was impractical and then I had to open my bags at the MRT security control, causing a backup in the line behind me. It was rush hour and the MRT was crowded, with no place to stow luggage.

I exited at the Sukhumvit station and again negotiated multiple escalators for another difficult connection to the Asoke BTS station. I missed 3 BTS trains before I could find one that had enough room to enter with my luggage.

When I finally descended at Thonglor BTS station to take a taxi, I was completely exhausted and vowed never again to repeat the experience. Compared to the highly efficient and well-planned Hong Kong Airport Express, Bangkok's version is an inefficient and impractical nightmare.

The only thing I had to be thankful for is that at least it was not raining at the time I negotiated the long walk from Makkasan station to the MRT. My advice to travellers is: don't bother with the train, and take a taxi from the airport.

MICHAEL SPENCER

Note:

Mr SPENCER says in the first paragraph that he took the ‘Airport Express’.

In the second paragraph he mentions using the ‘city line’ and says the seats are narrow and uncomfortable and there is nowhere to stow luggage except in the first and last carriages.

My understanding is that the two lines are separate, with the ‘Airport Express’ designated for travellers to and from the airport, while the ‘city line’ is designated for local travel with station stops along the way.

Perhaps he can clarify which one he used?

I imagine the ‘Airport Express’ would be more accommodating for people with luggage, however it is apparent that this is just one of many things on his list of inconveniences.
modsquad

Postby gipchimsa on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Mr. Spencer's comments are enough to put me off the Link for the time being.

Escalators and luggage do not go together and the taxi problem at Makassan is surprising. Every other car on Suk. is a taxi at times so this saturation will eventually lead to more at the Terminal, once the "penny" drops thst there are customers floating about ... hopefully.

RW
gipchimsa

Next

Return to Thai airports, trains, buses, public transport