Are divorce papers required

Re: Are divorce papers required

Postby Silaworld on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:08 am

I do'nt understand all the crap about ///// and copying divorce-papers. You have been married and divorced twice... that's ok!
The essential thing is that you get your Affidavit at your embassy to start with.
What AjarnV wrote is basically true.
Just go to your embassy and they will tell you all the necessary steps to do, such as translation, legalisation, Office at ChaengWattana road, Amphur-office aso. One more thing, if you cannot speak Thai, you will need a Thai witness at the district-office (Amphur) who can speak English and translate the procedure for you. The translator must not be official... it can very well be somebody of your future family-in-law if he/she can speak some English. In my case I took my wife's sister who cannot speak English perfectly but ... I had my Thai wife to help her, because she even speaks English better than myself :D .
Silaworld

Postby boatman37210 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Just now thought that maybe the American Embassy web site in Bangkok might have some info. The embassy doesn't require divorce papers, but they are saying the Amphur does. Here is what the web site said:

* If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated. Divorce or death certificates should suffice. These documents, if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

What is a little confusing is the "if available" in the last sentence. Too me the "if available" means that they are admitting that some individuals may not have the papers, but they do not suggestion a solution for those that do not nor say what will happen if you do not.

Those of you who have been divorced, did the Amphur ask for copies of divorce papers? Is the embassy site's information about needing divorce papers wrong?

Thanks.
boatman37210

Postby Silaworld on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:08 am

boatman,
I have been married and divorced more than once outside Thailand. I have been married and divorced once in Thailand with a thai citizen. At the amphur I presented affidavit with thai translation and legalised at Chaeng wattana. I also showed them my previous Thai marriage certificate + divorce -certificate but they didn't even look at it. All this happened less than four years ago.
I do not pretend to say that US_embassy's information might be wrong but maybe it's out of date or maybe some amphurs just do what they like!?

Instead of strolling around in websites, I suggest you to TALK with embassy officials and TALK with amphur officials. Then you will be totally sure of whatever documents might be required.
My experience with Thai official websites is that they often do not reflect reality as it is on the field. I could give you examples of requirements for one year Visas which on the field of reality are complete nonsense.
Silaworld

Postby AjarnV on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:12 am

boatman37210 wrote:Just now thought that maybe the American Embassy web site in Bangkok might have some info. The embassy doesn't require divorce papers, but they are saying the Amphur does. Here is what the web site said:

* If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated. Divorce or death certificates should suffice. These documents, if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

What is a little confusing is the "if available" in the last sentence. Too me the "if available" means that they are admitting that some individuals may not have the papers, but they do not suggestion a solution for those that do not nor say what will happen if you do not.

Those of you who have been divorced, did the Amphur ask for copies of divorce papers? Is the embassy site's information about needing divorce papers wrong?

Thanks.

No, the Embassy document was enough. I know of no one who has had a problem with this. My marriage is registered and the sheriff of our Amphur performed the ceremony and signed the documents. I was divorced 30 years ago and there wasn't a chance in hel_l of getting that document.
I would add that this is Thailand and things are rarely held to the letter of the law. Good luck; just keep moving forward.
AjarnV

Postby Danthai on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:01 am

Mr. Ajarn V:

Sunbelt responds: When registering marriage in Thailand, you will need to provide the District Office with a document called the "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry". If you have been married before, you must obtain another document called an "Affidavit of Single Status" proving that you have been divorced or widowed. I'm afraid you will have to get these two documents from your embassy as they will not issue one without the other. You may even have to provide them with a translated English version of your Thai Divorce Certificate (certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs). Thai marriages are recognized by US laws, therefore you will have to report to them that you have been divorced; this is the main reason why the US Embassy requires both affidavits. It will appear in their system that you have requested an "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry" from your previous marriage. Once you have both affidavits, you must then translate them into Thai and have them certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. It will take approximately 2 - 3 days for the certification of document but may be longer depending on the volume of applicants for certification. As soon as they issue the certification, you are now ready to register your marriage at the District Office in Korat. Bear in mind however, that some District Offices reserve the right to request for a translated Thai version of your passport.

[b]Just what I said in my previous post about taking docs to record at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Danthai

Postby sundayjam on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:54 pm

I just went through this paper chase.

1. The US embassy has affidavits for you to fill out stating that you are a) qualified to marry a Thai national and b) properly divorced or widowed. A consular official will take your sworn testimony for $50 per form. The embassy is open 7:30am - 11am and 1-2pm. The process takes about 1 hour. (I had my divorce papers, but was not asked to show them) Total cost $100usd.

2. Translation of each document costs between 100 baht and 300 baht per document. The translator will try to get you to pay a lot of cash to finish the process for you. From what I saw at the next Thai admin place...a lot of people take this option. Legal hounds wait with stacks of papers waiting for their clients turn.

3. Have your affidavits and translations certified at a central bureaucracy for such purposes. This is the LONGEST step. 3-5 hours. We got bumped to the back of the line, because ONE word was translated incorrectly. Total cost 1,600 baht.

4. Take your certified documents to the local registrar for Thai marriage certificates. Time = 1-2 hours. We only had to bribe the admin about 100 baht.
sundayjam

Previous

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required