3-G fiasco

3-G fiasco

Postby Git on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Let me say I have done well on the SET for someone new to trading. About this time I'm a bit tired of Governments in fighting over this. The sad thing I have no concern for the investors who invested in these companies and lost money Because the Government didn't have it's act together.

These kind of things scare away investors that Thailand says it wants. These Government departments, should govern not try to compete in private business.

I'm a small investor so I only lost 27K. But, there was a lot more lost in this. Not once has that been mentioned. If I hadn't had experience here I would have left and never return to this market. Fortunately the SET does a better job, then Cat, TOT or entity conducting the auction.
Git

Re: 3-G fiasco

Postby salbrecht on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:42 pm

The 3G fiasco here in Thailand is a real tragedy. It is yet one more instance where the minority (CAT and its union members) is more important than the majority (the millions of cell phone users all over the kingdom). Now that the Parliament is involved, the bureaucracy will tie this up for a couple of years. By the time the Thai 3G infrastructure is built out, there will no longer be any 3G phones for sale, and the current crop of 3G phones will be old and outdated. Thailand should just give up on the 3G format and move directly to 4G/WiMax which is the next technology available in many places already. Let the flames begin, firesuit is on.
salbrecht

Postby wilko on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Not a fiasco it's a National disgrace,

here's a song to sing to those folks who think it's OK to deprive the people of Thailand of a bvasic communication standard that's available worldwide.........

There's no 3G in Thailand
The courts said it you can't have it

Oh yes! the rest of the world has got 3G
but you can't heave it here in Thailand

my brothers and my sisters have got 3G
but they all live in Cambodia

Kim Jong-il has got 3G
He's got internet and downloads in his hands
He's got internet and downloads in his hands
Oh yes! Kim Jong-il has got 3G

Even in Ventiane, they got 3G
Even in Ventiane, they got 3G
In all corners of the world they got 3G
Except for here in Thailand.

Cambodia and North Korea have got 3G
Indonesia and Malaysia have got 3G
even East Timor has got 3G
The whole world's got 3G.....

except for Thailand!
wilko

Postby faranginkorat on Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Dear K. Git,

The SET was about 400 two years ago and is about 1000 today.

You could have thrown darts at it to choose stocks, or just bought an index fund, and done phenomenally.

Do not let the fact that you have done well recently make you think that you have a clue.

If you can consistently make money in a declining market, you are a better man than me.

I am happy to ride the markets up and try to be smart enough to know when to get out and just watch.

I sold everything in July, 2007 and started a business with the capital.

The business made money and the markets tanked 50%.

By October, 2008 the business had made enough profit to take my capital back out and put it back into the market which had bottomed.

The money in the market tripled and now I am out again, sitting on cash.

We will see.

FaranginKorat
faranginkorat

Postby wilco on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:29 pm

There is a slightly more sinister interpretation

The Govt - or the Army own most of the TV stations and over the last year or so there has been a systematic closing of all voices of dissent in the media - local radio TV stations etc have all been "gagged".
so the govt has successfully gagged the main media.
They are now concentrating on the "popular" media - the internet and the mobile phone.
they don't like to do this too overtly - but the numbers of web sites they have blocked seems to range from 20 to 100 thousand. Of course the govt is a bit cagey about some of the sites they are blocking.

The other arm of the "peoples" media is of course the mobile phone. Transmission of voice text and indeed images and video are great tools for anyone wanting to expose govt violence etc etc. It's also a great organisational tool for political activists.......so with £G would come a shot in the arm for govt opposition - faster and bigger image downloads and more info to communicate.

So a sudden stopping of the process can only be to the advantage of a government that appears desperate to stave of an almost inevitable defeat in tha free and uncensored general election.
wilco

Return to Thai stock market